What do you break on your bike?

BullFreerider
BullFreerider Posts: 152
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Just wondering what people tend to break on their bike when they crash, I seem to smash up my levers, but my mate always knackers his derailleur!

I'm going to use the results of this poll as part of some market research for a new product.

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The saddle/pedals/bar-ends/plugs get scuffed but I have never actually broken anything.

Handlebar controls are always a little loose so that they turn instead of breaking.
  • Touch wood, I've been pretty lucky with my bikes. Only really seem to tear tyres and bend wheels. Partly down to the fact that until recently I was using XC wheels, but mainly down to the fact I'm a fat b@stard who prefers to take the direct line. :D
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    I ride well so I don't break anything.

:D

Knackered my fork in the Alps, but that was a manufacturing defect I think. Not due to any specific crashes.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    The only thing I've had to replace was my front wheel.
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    spokes, bb's, hubs, derailleurs, chainrings, you name it ive broken it. even snapped a powerlink once :lol:

on the whole tho its usuaaly bb's and spokes, altho the fact i built my current back wheel myself may have something to do with that :lol:
  • BullFreerider
    BullFreerider Posts: 152
    edited January 2010
    Just to be clear- me and my mates are from the more extreme end of the mountain biking specrum, and pushing the limits of our riding at our level will break components at some point.

Not really a case of riding well, RealMan, but riding safe XC loops for you.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i tend to break whatever is old or weak...]in the past iv broken mostly r.mechs, tyres, saddles, forks...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • RealMan
    How do you break a BB? Ok they can wear out and need servicing, but how do you actually break one?
    Not really a case of riding well, RealMan, but riding safe XC loops for you.

What the hell?? There's safe XC loops? I only ride inside, don't you know. Outside is way to dangerous. Turbos are the way to go I think..
  • I've seen BB's die on some pretty gnarly drops.

XC is very safe, relative to to the more extreme disciplines of riding.
  • RealMan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6EjEKAsFJQ

Dam that's bad.

XC is safe? I always thought the guys on 80mm hardtails riding on fireroads were mental. What could possibly be more dangerous?? I'm gonna stick to my garage thank you very much.
  • Snapped a brake lever... that was pricey :(
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I'm not going to temp fate on this one :lol::lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • RealMan
    I'm messing with you you know lol. I was joking, I crash as much as anyone. I've riden and raced in France, riden in Wales, and done tons of both in England. I don't even have a turbo. Or room in my garage for it :wink:

Always trying to push my limits further and further as well. :D
  • alright, no problem.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Don't think I've ever broken anything by abusing it. I tend to look after stuff that I buy because I am a notorious tight-wad.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    snapped a frame right though the top tube and down tube.... did not realise and finished the DH section at stainburn. I still dont know how i managed it. ( trust me it was not though any kind of skill.)
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • Derailleur a few times but upgraded to a BETD now at dont have any issues
    80 x 80 is not enough pixels!!!!

http://www.monzaautomotive.com/

My bikes and a few riding pics http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12673633
  • bregante
    bregante Posts: 271
    I tend to break ......... myself :oops:
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    left wrist, right elbow most recently....

Apart from bending a few spokes, I can't recall breaking anything on any of my bikes because of crashing. I destroyed a few derailers in Morzine year before last, but they just exploded/ripped off. I didn't crash.

Now I think of it, the only thing I can recall was a shifter. Went down in the mud in Les Gets in '07, my mate, left with no where to go binned it on top of me and his fork lower ripped of my shifter. Zip tied it on and job was a good 'un.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Snapped a gear and brake lever off, snapped a crank, bent a saddle, busted front and rear wheels (once each), shredded clothes, bust myself - and I'm a gayer DHer too...!

Also wear components out pretty quickly - I use about one set of drivetrain kit (chainm cassette, chainrings) per year.
  • jpstar
    jpstar Posts: 561
    Busted a shifter but that was a cheapo nasty stock one from '98 :lol:, bented a rear wheel having a blow out on a bigish drop, manged to bend a bar end in on itself so it wrapped around my hand and bent a set of handelbars.
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    bent my rear disk rotor.... :(
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Phonk7
    Phonk7 Posts: 178
    Dérailleur, both wheels, large sprocket and rotors
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    two front wheels in the last two years.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    Done a few spokes reciently. Haven't fallen off for a while (that was a mistake saying that!) but remember breaking a brake lever at some point. been lucky i guess :wink:
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • In 2009 I cracked the rear linkage on my Intense Tracer, folded a Cove Handjob, split Halo freedom Disc 36 spoke rear rim and busted a crank Brothers Sage Headset.. :roll:
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    i dont crash so nothing.

i need some wood to touch now.
  • For a reason unknown to myself I always have problems with headsets. Every bike I've had they always need replacing after about a year.
  • I'm wondering if there is a market for protection of the relatively fragile brake and shifter levers, and therefore (to an extent) the internals of them? mainly directed towards the dirt jump, downhill and freeride disciplines. would anyone buy such an item?