please rank these brakesets in order of best to worst...

tavyabe
tavyabe Posts: 283
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Hi, I am planning on buying a second hand set of hydraulic disc brakes and the following appear to be in the price range. can you please let me know whic are the best and which are the worst...

Hayes 9's (£65)
Avid Juicy 5's (£65)
Shimano LX (£55)

Thanks

Comments

• scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Anything but the juicy 5's!
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • tavyabe
    both come with rotors and the lx is dual control if that makes any difference. are lx's and 9's pretty much like for like then?
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    tavyabe wrote:
    both come with rotors and the lx is dual control if that makes any difference.

It does but it'll be a matter of personal preference - the brake lever doubles as a shifter, hence dual control. I hate them, others love them, only you can make that call.
  • scale20
    Thats just my opinion on the juicys, some people may get on with them but Ive had 7's before and got rid of them and have 5's on my HT now and hate them.

If the LX are dual control I would look at the Hates 9.

I rode my other halfs bike a bit and she had XT dual control, I found them big and bulky and a pain in the a$$ to use.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Sorry - didnt notice the second hand bit - might be over budget then...
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    I don’t rate the juicys either and not to happy with dual control so would go with the hays 9 which are not bad and for the money even better.
    So Far!
  • tavyabe
    Thanks all. I am going to go for the lx's as it means I can sell my other shifters which should cover a lot of the cost of the brakes. Thanks for your advice :)
  • scale20
    The only thing with the dual control is the fact they are all 1 unit so in the event of a shifter going tits and you have to take it in to get looked at thats your brake gone too, if all that makes sense to you.

I would be inclined to keep the brake and shifter units seperate.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    My Juicy 5's have been great -
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Agree with Scale20, if you're riding anything a bit extreme and drop the bike just make sure the controls aren't damaged as that'll stuff you right up creeks alley.

I prefer separates, as they say in the IT industry, "we need redundancy"
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    none of them, i would go for te Quad axis QHD-H 4 or whatever its called, just look in the "gear" section of this site, and look at disk brakes sets in order of best first.... its at the top....
    oh, and its £60....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • tavyabe
    I would but it appears that the price is not right as it is over £60 per brake and not for the set. If you can find me somewhere selling them for £60 as the article says then I will defo buy them :)
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    oh , your looking at £60 for A SET! wow, cheap.... how are the 5's £60 for a set? the 3's are normally £60 EACH...
    anyway... if thats the case, i would go for the nines...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • scale20
    Have you looked on ebay, just a quick search then and I found quite a few brakesets.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Avid-juicy-7-brak ... 35a6204ea7

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hayes-Nines-9-Bra ... 4a9d7afe4f
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • tavyabe
    perhaps I should have made it clearer in my first post. I am looking for a £60 set of brakes. I have found the following at the following prices and I was trying to decide which one, if any, was the best deal:

Hayes 9's (£65)
    Avid Juicy 5's (£65)
    Shimano LX (£55)

If anyone else has or can point me to a better deal that would be great but I really can't spend any more.

Hope that clears it up :)
  • I have Dual control XTs.Nice and light shifter action.Simply flick up to change down flick down to change down,if you are using rapid ride rear mech.

Also less bar clutter,and you can run the levers nicely inboard for one finger braking.
    Had mine for 3 years and no issues,despite several offs.In some ways less likely to snap in an off,becuse of the up/down freeplay in the levers.

Shimano brakes are boringly relaible too,and a easy to service,though it has to be said they are lacking a little the ultimate power that you`d get from the Hayes or Juicys.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Where did you get a £55 price on a set of lx brakes? Are they 2nd hand?
  • tavyabe
    yes, all second hand - reluctant to put the location of each set until I have bought some (just incase they start disappearing) :)
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Well if you don't go for them, could you private message me the link please?

They're crap anyway, you don't want them. I just want to buy them so I can destroy them before they harm anyone else.. :wink:
  • tavyabe
    Sure, but I'm pretty sure I am going to get them as money is very tight and not only are they the cheapest but I have a brand new lx shifter and a deore shifter which I can probably get £20 for both on ebay making the brakes 35 for me :):) If I don't go for them I will send you a link
  • I love my fives!
  • I used to run a set of Juicy 7's with 185mm rotors and they were great, survived plenty of crashes too!!

I know have formula k18's which are even better! Uh!!
    I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    My Juicy fives were hateful for a year or so - always squealed and rubbed, never quiet and I bled them several times.The pads are awful to replace too.

Then I got them serviced, put good pads in and they've been brilliant ever since.
  • Have had the hayes, nut now have juicy 5's.

juicy 5s have vastly greater stopping power, but do have problems with them rubbing.

i wouldny buy the hayes out of choice again.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I have a set of deore DCL levers and brakes and i really like them, the gear changing action is so light and smooth and soon becomes intuitive so u dont even really think about it u just change instinctively.

The brakes themselves are ok but thats because i only have a 160mm front rotor at the mo as soon as i get paid at the end of the month i intend to fit a 180mm which should provide much better stopping power. If ur buying LX brakes they should be slighly better than my deores anyways so if u can get them at a good price i'd snap them up.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Much of a muchness when set up well.

Tha Avid is the hardest to bleed.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Do the LX come with centrelock rotors? Do you have centrelock hubs?
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I have the hayes 9's, great power,
    My brother has the LX dual shifter thingys on his, about the same power but weird to use IMO, also with the dual shifter they work better with a rapid rise derailliur apparently?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • supersonic wrote:
    Tha Avid is the hardest to bleed.

In that case they must all be *really* easy to bleed - I find bleeding my Avids a doddle...