Recommend me a lock

redvee
redvee Posts: 11,922
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Payday this month will mean a much overdue lock for the bike but not 100% sure.

Looking at something from Kryptonite but that might change depending on the opinions voiced here.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Krypt ... 360023755/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Krypt ... 360021015/

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kry ... kryptonite

along with an extension cable, perhaps.

Need to replacethe ageing Squire Paramount soon.
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

Comments

• Kryptonite Mini Evo, absolutely love it!! It is a little heavy, but fits in jeans pocket, seems pretty solid, I have been using it for about 8 months, and its still protecting my pride and joys. Along with a 4 foot extension cable.
  • Kryptonite locks are good, but the keys are made from cheese. Mine snapped off in the lock the second time I used it, requiring a locksmith with an angle-grinder.

The locksmith said, "I'd get an Abus next time, they've been in the business for years, and they know keys". I did, and the difference is night and day. Apparently it's quite easy to make something nice and strong, but the quality of the Abus is better, meaning it's more reliable.

Your mileage may vary, but my Kryptonite Evolution series 4 was rubbish, and my Abus Granite Plus is superb.
  • +1 for Abus

Have the Granite X-Plus 54 D-Lock and a Kryptonite New York 3000 D-Lock (both with extension cables) and would go for another Abus every single time.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    If getting an Abus, get a decent one - the cheaper D-locks can be easily snapped with a bit of leverage. I know this to my cost, a new (itself an insurance replacement) bike was stolen first time I parked it in town, in spite of being D-locked to a large piece of street furniture with extension cable through front wheel.

That said, I've used the larger Abus locks on my motorbikes for years. They're a bit heavy to carry around !

My personal recommendation is 2 locks - one D-lock, one separate cable lock - they'll need different tools to break into, take more time, and are more likely to defer the casual thief to a less well-secured bike, which sadly is all you can really hope for.
    Misguided Idealist
  • I've been using the Kryptonite Evolution Mini for a couple of years with no problems. Use that to secure the rear wheel, and a cable lock for the front.
  • I have the previous iteration of the ABUS City Chain X-Plus, it's been working flawlessly for over 2 years. Highly recommended.
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    I use the kyrptonite new york and it has been great for me so far, had it for a year and no issues as of yet :D Heavy, but worth it I think.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    I have the big yellow New York lock with a cable, it's the nuts. I have a cunning trick if you're worried about crowbars - get a couple of wrenches with a closed loop at each end and slot them onto the D section between the down tube and the lock cylinder before you lock up. Good luck getting a crowbar in there!
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    There's been a wheel locked up with an abus chain and lock for months in Birmingham city centre so they must be good. The rest of the bike dissapeared some time ago though.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    NY Mini Faggedityoupunk - great - bit tight, but goes through rear triangle, wheel and sheffield stands OK - no spare space for a jack to get in.
  • +1 for Abus Granite Plus, get the shorter one (less leaverage)
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Abus_ ... 360028494/

I run this with a cable lock:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Abus_ ... 300002097/

Having said that any lock can be broken, just look at the vids on youTube
  • Camden
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    BiggerBoat wrote:
    Camden

Nice one!! :D How about one dear to my heart - Maryhill Lock:

_45803628_maryhill226.jpg
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Is should be "Recommend a lock to me", shouldn't it?
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Is should be "Recommend a lock to me", shouldn't it?

:lol::D:) :shock:

Shud u knot bee toking pwoper Inglish?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • 1. granit x plus 54 230mm (extra safe barrel design demanding two cuts)
    2. kryptonite 3000 (std), through wheel and frame)
    3. fahgeddaboutit (this works with sheffield stands but only through the 'sheldon brown' rear wheel technique (overkill, deceptively looks unlocked to thickies, no room for leverage to break it)
    4. fahgeddaboutit chain (ton weight, but good for leaving at work!)
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    +1 Abus Granit X-Plus about £65-70 or the Granit Extreme is about £90-100 IIRC. There is no alternative if you want your bike to be there when you get back. Plus the keys don't break.

I wouldn't touch Kryptonite with a barge pole, well not use one to lock any of my bikes! You might as well use cheese or string. Marketing style over substance IMHO. I lost a Brompton that was supposedly securely locked with a Kryptonite NY and Fagetaboutit. Kryptonite = AVOID as they are not up to keeping your bike secure. Wait a minute ........... no you lot continue to buy Kryptonite as the thieves will nick your bike in preference to mine locked with x2 Abus Granit X Plus D-locks.

Don't use any cable lock they are easy to cut through inspite of how secure the manufacturer claims they are.

It's worth spending a little more on a very good D-lock. You will wish you had when your bike gets nicked if you haven't.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • 0scar
    Is this overkill?

IMG_0422.jpg
  • Personally I wouldn't worry too much about brands, or even buying what you perceive is the 'best'

I could have forked out a lot for Kryptonite, which supposedly have the image of being the best for some reason.

Anyone remember the BIC pens ??

Anyway, I bought some much cheaper Abus locks - they seem well made, so won't rust or fall apart on you and to be honest, that's all you're looking for in a bike lock.

Oh, you want it to actually stop your bike being pinched? Those types of locks (the type that work?!) don't actually exist.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    0scar wrote:
    Is this overkill?

IMG_0422.jpg

That's an Ultegra Octalink chainset on your bike. You don't ride with SPDs are cleats?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    +1 for the Abus Granit-X Plus.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    StuAff wrote:

Have you tried a D-LOCK!!!!!!! :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    itboffin wrote:
    StuAff wrote:

Have you tried a D-LOCK!!!!!!! :twisted:

Why yes. It is one.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    +1 for Abus Granite Plus, get the shorter one (less leaverage)
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Abus_ ... 360028494/

I run this with a cable lock:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Abus_ ... 300002097/

Having said that any lock can be broken, just look at the vids on youTube

definitely reccomend the abus granit but id say get bigger one if can, can lock up more of your bike
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    The shorter ones are more secure, less room to get a lever or jack in.
  • 0scar
    dilemna wrote:
    0scar wrote:
    Is this overkill?

IMG_0422.jpg

That's an Ultegra Octalink chainset on your bike. You don't ride with SPDs are cleats?

And the crank arm isn't lined up correctly according to OCP rules.

As far as Octalink goes, it works far better than the leaden cranks on my old hybrid and I haven't ridden anything with a newer road crankset - ignorance is bliss, and cheaper! If I stay five years behind the technology curve I get the same progression as anyone else, but at a much lower cost. In this spirit I look forward to Ultegra 6600 in a year or two :wink:

Are you running SPDs in the snow?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Got my eye on an ABUS City Chain X-Plus on a certain auction site for use at work and will see if I can get a Granit X-Plus 54 23cm from Evans at Wiggle prices, though might use Wiggle depending on the Haribo stock levels which have increased today when my helicopter tape arrived.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Canny Jock wrote:
    The shorter ones are more secure, less room to get a lever or jack in.

Agreed, but it's also harder to lock it to things
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I'm thinking of getting this, though it's expensive and heavy.

Why isn't more done to make sure the bike is useless if stolen? For instance, a bloody great registration number etched into the top bar would be a start. Designers could work around it - or even factor it in. It might even shut up drivers who think we should have registration numbers.

I am given to understand that stolen bikes most often get broken up for parts - why aren't more things like derailleurs, rims etc marked? Would that really increase costs so much?

It's not like joy-riding teenagers are nicking Madones and racing them down the streets - bikes are stolen to make money. It's surely not beyond the wit of humanity to prevent or do more to minimise it.