Wigola and Lance Dynamic

2»

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    So that's what Bernie/aurelio/Howard does when every one of his points is blown out the water - he posts something about angling...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    As usual Bernie, I reckon we need to agree to disagree... To my knowledge, Wiggins has only ever sounded off about riders who tested positive. That would seem, to me, to be his reason for not saying anything about him. Secondly, Armstrong and Radioshack have the ability to make his life much more difficult than it needs to be in his big goal for the year, making nice may not be such a bad move on that front.

As for the weight loss tale, I think the key difference between Armstrong's tale and Wiggins is firstly, it is demonstratably false that Armstrong lost a great deal of weight in his transformation from a one day powerhouse to a TT and Climbing machine. Secondly, it is visually obvious that Wiggins lost the weight, the performance gain was consistent through the year and he did it at Garmin which is a team who's integrity I choose to trust.

Couldn't agree more - all fair points.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    DaveyL wrote:
    So that's what Bernie/aurelio/Howard does when every one of his points is blown out the water - he posts something about angling...

That's coz you know about chess.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • DaveyL
    Now that *is* a high octane sport!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Sky + the Shack versus Astana + Caisse, with Saxo looking to pick up the pieces?

It'll be like tag wrestling on World of Sport! Now all we need is Dickie Davies commentating.

Strava is not Zen.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    “Lance is amazing in the press,” Wiggins said. “He’s the guy I aspire to be.”

Feck me, and I used to admire Wiggins so much for refusing to sell out his principles and being willing to speak his mind in an honest way. I hate to say this but I can't help but think that he has 'woken up and smelt the coffee' (whatever that means) and, how can I put it, 'put his wife and kids first' by deciding to do whatever it takes to rake in as much cash as is possible.

Wife, kids, family,and some money? I can't think of too many things that are more important.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    calvjones wrote:
    Sky + the Shack versus Astana + Caisse, with Saxo looking to pick up the pieces?

Saxo working for Liquigas to repay Ivan for being a good sport about 05 / 06.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    dennisn wrote:
    Feck me, and I used to admire Wiggins so much for refusing to sell out his principles and being willing to speak his mind in an honest way. I hate to say this but I can't help but think that he has 'woken up and smelt the coffee' (whatever that means) and, how can I put it, 'put his wife and kids first' by deciding to do whatever it takes to rake in as much cash as is possible.
    Wife, kids, family,and some money? I can't think of too many things that are more important.
    You probably haven't read the article I was alluding to:

Wiggins: Landis "took us riders for fools"

...Bradley Wiggins of Cofidis is ashamed of his sport. "After last year's Tour de France I didn't feel proud to be a professional cyclist," he told the Daily Mirror. "And I feel the same now. Doping problems affect everyone in the peloton," noted the 26 year-old. "I've got children, a wife and a house and I could lose my livelihood because someone who tests positive finishes ahead of me. It's about time someone had some balls and told it how it was. There are enough of us who think the way I do."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... feb05news2
  • BikingBernie
    edited January 2010
    As usual Bernie, I reckon we need to agree to disagree... To my knowledge, Wiggins has only ever sounded off about riders who tested positive. That would seem, to me, to be his reason for not saying anything about him [Armstrong].
    The 'old' Wiggins thought that even 'suspicions' about a riders justified other riders refusing to race with him...

The riders have got to take a stand too as a group. If it almost means that we're sitting on the start line at the next race in a month's time saying, 'Look, we're not riding with this guy' and put him at the back of the field or not start the race if there's any suspicion on this guy - if that's what it's gonna take then that's what it's gonna take.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... script.asp
    As for the weight loss tale, I think the key difference between Armstrong's tale and Wiggins is firstly, it is demonstratably false that Armstrong lost a great deal of weight in his transformation from a one day powerhouse to a TT and Climbing machine. Secondly, it is visually obvious that Wiggins lost the weight, the performance gain was consistent through the year and he did it at Garmin which is a team who's integrity I choose to trust.
    By 'the' weight I assume the 11 kg it is claimed he lost since riding the Olympics. He looked like a bean pole then so I am not sure where he is supposed to have lost over 24 lb from. If much of it was upper body muscle, as has been claimed, then that is an awful lot of beefsteak...

As to Garmin, he now rides for Sky, under the direction of Armstrong's old mate Sean Yates...
  • BikingBernie
    edited January 2010
    More from the 'old' Wiggins.

Q: You've talked about life bans - What else can organisers do?

BW: I think they need to take a long look at who they invite to the race over the next few years. If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is involved in any way in a drugs ring or doping or working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that - they shouldn't even be given a racing licence until they can prove that they are, through stringent testing procedures, that they are not involved in any wrong doing - until then the ASO shouldn't have them in the Tour de France and the UCI should not have them in the sport.

After the Time Trial I was 2 minutes down on Vinokourov and I was pretty annoyed after that - I doubted from the start. I wouldn't speak the press afterwards because I was scared of what I might say. 2 days later my suspicions were confirmed. If my wife's flight hadn't been booked to Paris, I'd have climbed off and gone home - I did not want to be a part of that race any more. That's how annoyed I was.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... script.asp

Then he talked about banning riders and teams if there is even a '1% suspicion or doubt' that they have associations with doping doctors (like Ferrari). Then he talked about wanting to go home because someone beat him who he 'doubted'. Now he is saying that Armstrong (the man who kept him off the podium, the man with the dodgy blood values, the man whose team had blood transfusion equipment with them at the Tour, the man who remains a 'personal friend' of Ferrari) is his role model...
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    dennisn wrote:

Your ethics, morals or principles (whatever way you going to call it) is quite important I would have thought.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Bernie - where has this 11kg loss in weight come from? The only figure I've seen is 7 kg.
  • BikingBernie
    edited January 2010
    Bernie - where has this 11kg loss in weight come from? The only figure I've seen is 7 kg.
    The 'old' story.(The one where, if you do the maths, it works out that at his 2007 Tour race weight he had a 12.6% body fat percentage).

I was climbing fairly well in the 2007 Tour, but I've lost seven kilos since then: 78 to 71. It's taken nine months, in little increments, without any sort of crash diet. I've had regular check‑ups with Nigel Mitchell, the nutritionist at the Olympic team, to make sure I'm only burning fat, not any muscle.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... -de-france

And the 'new'...

Wiggins rode the Olympic Games last summer weighing 82kg. In the past he has ridden the Tour and Giro d'Italia at about 77kg or 78kg. The aim was to start the Tour this year at 72kg. It stands to reason that if you can produce 450 watts for 10 minutes weighing 72kg instead of 78, the gain in performance is going to be considerable. Enough, Parker says, to put him in the front group on the climbs.

"You develop a lot of muscle mass, particularly on the upper body, while training for the track over the winter," says Parker. "We wanted him to lose that, but to do it slowly, so that it didn't affect his power.

"Everyone has focused on the weight loss, but it's not been radical. It's been managed very sensibly and safely. If you lose weight too quickly you don't maintain the power and you can affect the immune system. Radical weight loss in sport is never good."

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ation.html
  • stagehopper
    So the stories are identical then?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Sean Yates doesn't rate Armstrongs chances.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • BikingBernie
    So the stories are identical then?
    No, in one it claims his pre 2009 Tour diet was carefully planned so he didn't lose any muscle. In the other it claims his pre 2009 Tour diet was carefully planned so as to waste a 'lot of muscle mass'.
  • stagehopper
    But isn't it all about losing the track muscle first which he gained to go into the Olympics and then losing the extra weight as fat? So it's a two stage weight loss.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Wiggins wasn't filling in legal forms, it was just an interview so don't examine things too forensically.

He's a nice guy and has done plenty for the sport. I just hope success and money don't go to his head and turn him into a prime c0ck.
  • Kléber wrote:
    Wiggins wasn't filling in legal forms, it was just an interview so don't examine things too forensically.

He's a nice guy and has done plenty for the sport. I just hope success and money don't go to his head and turn him into a prime c0ck.

Wiggins engages his mouth before his brain abit. I would hope he doesn't turn into a c0ck too.
  • BikingBernie
    I think that the only thing we can be certain of is that a lot of what the 'new' Wiggins comes out with in the future will be pure 'bullshit', just like his role model, Lance Pharmstrong. :wink:

“A lot of the cyclists are really good at bull*****ing,” he said. “That’s what I’ve got to get good at.” For that reason, he is receiving media training. “Lance is amazing in the press,” Wiggins said. “He’s the guy I aspire to be.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 976001.ece
  • DaveyL
    I think that the only thing we can be certain of is that a lot of what the 'new' Wiggins comes out with in the future will be pure 'bullshit'

That'll be you and him on level terms then....
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I think that the only thing we can be certain of is that a lot of what the 'new' Wiggins comes out with in the future will be pure 'bullshit', just like his role model, Lance Pharmstrong. :wink:

“A lot of the cyclists are really good at bull*****ing,” he said. “That’s what I’ve got to get good at.” For that reason, he is receiving media training. “Lance is amazing in the press,” Wiggins said. “He’s the guy I aspire to be.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 976001.ece

If you take those comments from Wiggo as a whole, isn't it at best a "backhanded" compliment to Armstrong? i.e. "I need to get better at bull****ting, just like Lance". Maybe the whole thing is a bit tongue in cheek and people are taking it a bit too seriously?!