What would make you actually buy a hydraulic seatpost?

2»

Comments

• Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    mcj78 wrote:
    Something i'd like to see would be an adjustable post with a certain level of suspension travel, surely it can't be beyond the realm of simple engineering for someone to come up with a system that can do both?

I believe the ones that are for sale on superstar components have a bit of bounce In them
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I would consider one if they halved in price, dropped in weight, were more reliable and didn't wobble as much. Ok not all are like this, but most seem to develop play.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I never dropped my saddle,couldn't be arsed.Always slated dropper posts.Then i bought a 2nd hand Speedball(£67 8) ) and it was like a light coming on.I wouldn't be with out one and would pay £200 if i had to replace mine.You get used to the sideways slop,its hardly noticeable 3" travel is enough IMO.The weight?Don't know,don't care i'm 14stone so a few grammes isn't going to make any difference.

Don't knock them until you've tried them.
  • supersonic
    I have, I can't stand the sideways slop!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Addition - needs to come in a wider range of diameters! I've two bikes both at 27.2 so when one is produced I can share it between them.

I've heard the pure is coming out in 27.2 this year though :) May all your dreams come true op!
  • supersonic
    Smaller diameter posts are a bit more of a challenge to produce, as need even smaller inner shafts. This means smaller bushings, and heavy thick walls to maintain stiffness (like on sus seatposts - the inner shaft is often a solid bar, and the bushes go quick).

But we shall wait and see! They are improving all the time.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Addition - needs to come in a wider range of diameters! I've two bikes both at 27.2 so when one is produced I can share it between them.

Or, come in 27.2 so that larger tubes can be accomodated with a shim.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bluechair84
    Northwind wrote:

Or, come in 27.2 so that larger tubes can be accomodated with a shim.

unless 27.2 turns out to be a compromise as Super says...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    GD is 27.2 only and it's as reliable as they come. For some companies, no doubt it'll be a compromise too far when they can't make the larger ones reliable anyway.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Bert UK wrote:
    Instead of buying a droppable seatpost, why not learn to ride with your seat at the right height ?

*hides behind flame-proof shield*

Thats easy enough done on most trails and especially trail centres but like I have said in a previous post when you ride some wild trails it's good to be able to get the saddle well out of the way at the flick of a lever. There have been a few times where I've missjudged a drop and luckily had the option to drop the saddle quickly to avoid getting my spuds smashed.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • bluechair84
    :shock: you misjudged a drop, and managed to lower the seat thus saving yourself from cetain impalement of nuts on stem? Man you have quick reflexes! Should have judged the drop earlier though :wink:

It must be a remote switch!
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Sureley if you want it to drop you want it to go all the way? It's not like it's comfortable to pedal with the seat down a just a little bit, might as well just get it right out the way surely?

That was kind of my point. If I'm going to buy one of these really rather expensive luxury items then I want it to travel from optimum height to right out of the way, which means it has to travel just under 7 inches. Otherwise I'm just spending money on something that doesn't quite do the job I want it to do. Don't get me wrong, I think adjustable posts are a really neat idea, it just seems that no-one makes the one I want to buy yet...

p.s. sorry for calling them hydraulic when they're not; I knew what I meant though.
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    http://shop.rasebike.com/product.sc?pro ... tegoryId=1

Here you go - this one has 9 inches of travel. Not cheap though and personally I can't see how you need that much travel.
  • ^^^

Would you admit to people that you had been sitting on a Black Mamba?
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    ^^^

Would you admit to people that you had been sitting on a Black Mamba?

:lol::lol::lol:

Nope that sort of stuff stay's at home :lol::lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    I read on another forum someone saying they had to get it ordered to their gf's parent's house for some reason - pretty funny thing to have to explain ordering '9 inch black mamba'
    :lol: