What would make you actually buy a hydraulic seatpost?

neil_sheehan2000
neil_sheehan2000 Posts: 529
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Got some christmas money burning a hole into my pocket, so naturally my thoughts turned to the bike. I really like the idea of hydraulic seatposts, but frankly the prices they charge are laughable- over 200 quid for a seatpost that moves 3 inches!? Sod that. In fact, I've not managed to find a single one that meets my exacting specifications, and judging by the number I've seen around the trails so far (err... none that I can remember), not that many others have either.

So, an open letter to all the MTB component manufactureres of the world (especially those reasonably-priced Chinese folk):

"Please can you make the following hydraulic seatpost; it must:
* Have 7 inches of travel (this is only sensible)
* Not have a big sissy breakdown every time it gets a bit muddy (you are making this component for a mountain bike, remember)
* Not cost more than £160 (frankly, I think that's reasonable)"

Anyone else got anything to add?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nothing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    How about a red button on the end, which has the same resultant as James Bonds gearnob. :)

Would make for some interesting dismounts.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    now that is a beautiful idea..
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    * Have 7 inches of travel (this is only sensible)

Not really, that's a huge amount. 4 inches is generally more than enough. If you give it a multi-position drop then it'd be OK but otherwise, 7 inches will be too low much more often than 4 inches will be too high.

Oh, and you want mechanical not hydraulic, for simplicity and ease of service. Gravity Droppers are expensive but they're great.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    "Please can you make the following hydraulic seatpost; it must:
    * Have 7 inches of travel (this is only sensible) - in most cases 3" is plenty to get the saddle out of the way.
    * Not have a big sissy breakdown every time it gets a bit muddy (you are making this component for a mountain bike, remember) - Cleaned my Joplin once in 6 months, no other hassle.
    * Not cost more than £160 (frankly, I think that's reasonable)" - CRC were selling the non remote version for £ 100 & the remote version for £130, if you'd been quick over Christmas you could have combined it with the 10% off offer and got one for even less.

Just checked and CRC are still doing them for that price.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Well yes, 3 or 4 inches will get your saddle out of the way in most cases, but these people are asking me to spend over £100 on a seatpost, when I could just get off my bike momentarily and undo the QR. I want it to travel from optimum pedalling position to sitting as low as it can go for that sort of money which, on my bike (and considering I'm 6'2") is about 7 inches. Admittedly this is further than most other posts, which is why I'm willing to spend up to £160. Actually, one more thing to add to the list:

* does not weigh more than 700 grams (this seems really rather reasonable)
  • missmarple wrote:

Oh, hold on, we could have a winner! I could live with only 5 inches...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    why would i buy one?

cause theyre ace and well worth the 200 quid price tag.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    I've got the ks900 and its great....My money my choice...

If you don't want one don't buy one
  • Northwind
    Well yes, 3 or 4 inches will get your saddle out of the way in most cases, but these people are asking me to spend over £100 on a seatpost, when I could just get off my bike momentarily and undo the QR

But that's the entire point of an adjustable seatpost :?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's that flow word again isn't it?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and the not checking the trail ahead before riding it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Flow
    Always believe in your flow
    you've got the power to flow
    you're indestructable
    always believe in, because you are
    Flow!
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    It's ALL about the flow :D
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    stumpyjon wrote:
    CRC were selling the non remote version for £ 100 & the remote version for £130, if you'd been quick over Christmas you could have combined it with the 10% off offer and got one for even less. [/color]
    e.

That's what I did, not used it yet though. However just sitting on it and testing the drop seems like easily enough to take the bike from perfect pedaling height to nice and low for downhill fun. From what I've read they last pretty well if your careful with cleaning them.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    7 inches of travell? :shock: :shock: :shock:

The joplin has more than enough and you can still get them for £100 from CRC Just bought one for the mrs.

I've had my joplin about 3 months and one of the seals at the top has already gone. Its gone in to get fixed under warranty however my faith in it has taken a knock so I've bought a cheap emergency easton EA50 post just incase!
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    Hydraulic seat posts?
    who makes an hydraulic post? is the gravity dropper hydraulic? i thought they were mainly pneumatic?
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    Nothing
    Another invention we didn't need
    I ride therefore I am
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    afcbian wrote:
    Nothing
    Another invention we didn't need

You mean like disc brakes and suspension?
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I was dead against them until my other half got me one for xmas. They are not without thier problems but they make your ride so much more pleasurable.

If your rides take you all over the place in the wilds like mine do around Snowdonia it allows you to adjust your saddle height at the drop of a hat and keep with the flow without having to stop, get off and drop the post manually.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Downhill is the way forward, no need for adjustments then! And you can always just push back up or book an uplift
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    ravey1981 wrote:
    IMy money my choice...

+1

I've no intention o0f buying one btw
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    ravey1981 wrote:
    IMy money my choice...

+1

I've no intention o0f buying one btw

Er.... thanks for letting us know. :P
  • Northwind
    rhyko7 wrote:
    who makes an hydraulic post? is the gravity dropper hydraulic? i thought they were mainly pneumatic?

GD is mechanical- a big spring. Light, simple, reliable and easy to service.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I always used to just undo the QR on the fly, granted it's a pain in the ass to get it back up to the proper position and it's not the slickest of operations! I'll probably buy one one day, let all the other poor sods have them whilst they refine the technology though :-)
  • Bert UK
    Bert UK Posts: 62
    Instead of buying a droppable seatpost, why not learn to ride with your seat at the right height ?

*hides behind flame-proof shield*
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Bert UK wrote:
    Instead of buying a droppable seatpost, why not learn to ride with your seat at the right height ?

*hides behind flame-proof shield*

LOL!

Sureley if you want it to drop you want it to go all the way? It's not like it's comfortable to pedal with the seat down a just a little bit, might as well just get it right out the way surely?
  • mtncol
    mtncol Posts: 3
    Had a gravity dropper given to me for a present by some friends after I photgraphed their wedding and thought that it was great but then got my bike nicked about a week after I recieved it. :x I was gutted. Really.
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    Something i'd like to see would be an adjustable post with a certain level of suspension travel, surely it can't be beyond the realm of simple engineering for someone to come up with a system that can do both?
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex