Why must you do this to me, Halfords??

13»

Comments

• asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Regarding the welds comment - some bikes have them filed down afterwards, some don't. The previous issue of WMB mentions this, actually. It mentions that Carrera have started filing down the welds on some bikes. Also, the Carrera Fury won the test.
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    diy wrote:
    Dr.A wrote:
    I ain't buying blind.

What if it doesn't feel right and I hate the ride? Then I've just blown my long-awaited £400.

nope you do what everyone does - blow another 400 quid upgrading it :D

And the rest!!

If im going to the Alps, thats for starters...
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    edited January 2010
    i
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    the jap wrote:
    Hi there if you go to the halfords website and register online which is one of the options at the top of the page,they will send you a 10% off voucher by e-mail, by return i have done this a few times with my different e mail accounts and had no problems in using them. Hope this helps and they still do this my last one was in november when i purchased a workstand and had £9.00 off the instore price.Steve

have you resisted online at Halfords for you 10% voucher that will be £50 saving
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • dr.a
    dr.a Posts: 120
    That's the spirit! Although admittedly the lack of stock on the Kraken's have put me at a stand-still and freshened my mind.

I might wait a while and save up for the Fury or Aggressor XC1. Some will most likely exclaim in rage (which I don't blame them for) "Just get a bike NOW" others might say it's better to save up just a little while longer. Whatever happens, I WILL have a bike soon and I assure you all of that 100%.

. . . Awaiting scolding lol :oops:

Dr.A
    "If you're sleeping', you're not gonna play anything" - John Petrucci, 2004.

2002-2007: Terrano Bullion
    2007-2008: Apollo Guru
    2008-2010: Shockwave XT980
    2010: Carrera Fury 08
  • leon69
    leon69 Posts: 53
    carrera i had years ago was made of pig iron (very heavy )

I know the carrera is a halfords only bike but for the likes of the GT Avalanche have you looked on line ?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=33981

£259.00 ?
    If you dont bleed your not trying ...
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    My LBS was doing 09 Marin B-17 for under 550 quid and Palisades Trail at just over 400.

More than 40% off.

NOW is the time to buy - come the end of Feb there will be no 09 deals to be had and the shops will be ready for their 2010 cycle scheme season.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Dr A: If you want to wait, then that's fine. Take the time to read up on maintenance and cleaning, buy lubes, pedals and anything else you might need, scout out potential local routes etc.

The bikes you're looking at are all good. Please ignore the "Carreras are made of scaffolding and held together with PVA glue" comments. They'll be made in the same factory, by the same machines, with the same materials as plenty of other brands.

The only potential weakspot is Halfords, I'll admit that even though my local store is great. But if you have a half decent store (even with incompetent mechanics it seems like they'll just replace stuff they can't fix) then you're laughing.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    bails87 wrote:
    The bikes you're looking at are all good. Please ignore the "Carreras are made of scaffolding and held together with PVA glue" comments. They'll be made in the same factory, by the same machines, with the same materials as plenty of other brands.

The only potential weakspot is Halfords, I'll admit that even though my local store is great. But if you have a half decent store (even with incompetent mechanics it seems like they'll just replace stuff they can't fix) then you're laughing.

Totally agree, my vulcan has been a great ride so far in the year ive owned it, the frame is very stiff and strong and i dont know what all this talk bout the welds is, mine looks as good as any other bike and ive no reason to question anything bout it.
  • dr.a
    This is madness!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_273287_langId_-1_categoryId_165499#dtab

08 Fury for £350?? AND in stock in my local store? (According to the site)

How can I miss out on a deal like this??

Dr.A

• bails87
    Can you reserve online for free?
    If so then do it, then buy it!
    MTB/CX

• GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    bails87 wrote:
    Can you reserve online for free?
    If so then do it, then buy it!

What this here chap said :)
  • dr.a
    Called my local store to confirm the price/availability. And it is infact £349.99

A guy called James told me he'll build it tonight and I'll be collecting it tomorrow.

:D

Destiny must have seen her way to be nice to me for a change lol

Dr.A

• Looks like a great deal that.

Glad to see you FINALLY managed to get yourself a bike :wink:

Don't forget to put up pics of the bike, in your kitchen in the "your mountain bikes" section when you collect it. 8)
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    you know the 08 model was recalled due to poor welds leading to corrosion don't you?

only joking - have fun on your new bike, that is a top spec for that money
  • dr.a
    Thanks guys. My heart stopped at that last comment there, diy!

haha! I'll take some pics and get 'em in the forum tomorrow ;)

Dr.A

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Finally sorted out a bike lol.

Well done ;)
  • grubby
    grubby Posts: 214
    Please don't buy the bike Dr.A

This has been a great thread and a compulsive read.

But honestly, I'm glad you have made a decision. Won't believe it until I see a pic with you on it though.

Cheers!!
  • bails87
    Good work!
    MTB/CX

• Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I can now sleep easy at night...........NO...there's still an el_cartero and his Cube AMS 125 to deal with :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    You did your research and it has payed off thats a cracking deal for a cracking bike,whatever the brand snobs say you can not get better for that money,just get some pedals with the money saved and you are set. :lol:
  • dr.a

Was a close shave, especially considering I turned up today and they said it was £499.99, naturally I made sure they sold me it for £349.99 lol

Dr.A

• I look forward to you seeking advice on the rest of your kit... :lol:
  • Got one myself Dr.A. Thought I got a bargain for £400. Cracking bike for that money.

There's cracks in the frame, the seatpo....

I kid. Good deal you got there.
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Wow, that's a nice deal you got there!

Pictures though... do post some pictures! :D
  • dr.a
    Valy, there's pictures in the "your mountain bikes" section

Check them out! :)

Dr.A

• Valy
    Kool aid oh yeah: *OH YEAAH!*
  • elredso
    elredso Posts: 94
    i used to work in halfords a few years back - we were told in general that if we thought we were going to loose a sale we could offer up to 20% of the bikes value in accessories - so if you really want the bike, then it might be worth paying th bit extra, and trying to get some free accessories out of it :)
  • Valy
    elredso wrote:
    i used to work in halfords a few years back - we were told in general that if we thought we were going to loose a sale we could offer up to 20% of the bikes value in accessories - so if you really want the bike, then it might be worth paying th bit extra, and trying to get some free accessories out of it :)

:shock: :shock: :shock:

ossum