Why must you do this to me, Halfords??

dr.a
dr.a Posts: 120
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
I just managed to pull together the cash for my Aggressor XC2 (thank god!), and now Halfords go and raise the prices!

What gives?! I know they usually reduce the prices now and again, but when the heck will that be?

Alternatively I could get the Carrera Kraken, but I may regret it should the Aggressor reduce in price again. . . =/

Anyone know if Halfords will reduce prices any time soon? Or thoughts on the whole Aggressor/Carrera issue?

Thank you so much, in advance.

Dr.A
"If you're sleeping', you're not gonna play anything" - John Petrucci, 2004.

2002-2007: Terrano Bullion
2007-2008: Apollo Guru
2008-2010: Shockwave XT980
2010: Carrera Fury 08

Comments

• compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Just wait a week or so
    The prices regularly go up and down
  • stick with the one you really want (you will only have that nagging doubt that you should have otherwise)

and it might be worth writing in to ask them about the price increase - ie you saved long and hard etc....you might get a discount... you never know.......
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    just go into halfords and kick up a fuss about the increase and you will get it discounted to old price. i know a couple of people who have done this.
  • dr.a
    I wouldn't say my haggling skills are the greatest tbh!

Surely I should just give it a couple more weeks to see if the price drops, no?

Although incidently every week I'll be receiving more funds. So as time passes, waiting for a reduction in price in the GT, my budget will be growing simultaneously. . . Does that not just mean I should buy a whole better bike?

Dr.A

• biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    please, please , please buy a bike , any bike , as soon as possible.
    plenty of good advice has been offered to you in response to your posts in the last 2 weeks.
    you are now just repeating yourself and coming across as a ditherer.
  • dr.a
    Terribly sorry.

Just got to be 100% certain with my purchase.

• Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Some stores will increase their prices just after the New Years sales, then a month later drop the prices. This is to comply with certain segments of the law when they advertise " SPECTACULAR price drops...less then HALF price".

To advertised price drops, a bike (for example) must have been sold at a higher price for a certain length of time. Details are usually in the very small print.

But there's plenty of other bargains around, but selling very fast as I found out Boo Hoo...
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • biff55
    i understand , buying first decent bike always big decision.
    but it comes to this
    1. purchase your original choice of bike as soon as its available at the price you want to pay.
    2. keep saving until you're ready to buy then look at options.

but until you decide on budget you will get no closer to making a decision.
    send me the cash i'll buy it for you
    :wink:
  • 2ptjoe
    2ptjoe Posts: 17
    richg1979 wrote:
    just go into halfords and kick up a fuss about the increase and you will get it discounted to old price. i know a couple of people who have done this.
    Y

Yer mans bang on with the haggling bit.

If your right about your prices and the specs not changed ( a regular answer to a price hike ) then just go in , sensible spell out your case with a few facts and see how it goes. Dont speak to the spotty youth doing the selling , ask to have a quick word with the manager and rich is right 80% of the time . Even more so when you say that you'll be using them for all the spares, clothing............. ect. All stores have targets and it'll help them hit it.
  • Don't forget VAT went back up on the first of January, how much was the bike and how much has it gone up by?
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    ah good point.

the dredded vat, forgot about that.

wont hurt just to go and ask, im sure theres ia a little leway on marked up price anyway as in most bike shops.
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    I don't think it's the VAT rise affecting it - the price was already heavily discounted and the sale has ended. Like you've said - it's just what they do - the prices go up and down all the time to make the lower prices seem even more of a bargain.

If you really want the bike now and don't mind that it's not brand new, you could maybe try and negotiate a discount on an a display model. Just a warning if you do though - the display models don't always have the exact same parts as a brand new one.

I agree with everyone else - I think you have nothing to lose by just asking if they'd sell you it at the price it was a couple of days ago.
  • dr.a
    Thanks very much for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it.

As a final question, what are everyone's thoughts on the Kraken and Aggressor XC2?

The specs are almost identical, maybe apart from rims/tyres and other small details.

Also, would it be worth upgrading the Kraken over time? This bike has to last me a minimum of 2 years

Thanks.

Dr.A[/i]

• biff55
    both good bikes but i'd say the GT slightly better because it has rebound adjustable forks
    and forks are the most expensive single part on the bike.
    and i happen to think the black and white frame looks slick 8)

even though prices gone back up a bit now i reckon they'll do another sale within 8 weeks.
    but theres lttle between them IMO
    pays your money take your pick.
    if the GT was your original choice i'd hold out for that , cos you'll always think what if ?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Grab the Kraken, there's precious little between it and the Aggressor. This year's Kraken ironed out the minor issues of last year's- it's slightly slacker, both rims are eyeletted instead of just the front last year, and the tyres are no longer utterly gash. The frame's either the same as, or very closely based on, the 08 model Fury.

Upgrade-wise, both bikes would benefit enormously from a better fork, they're decently specced all round but there's no getting away from the cheapness of an XCR. Look after them and they're just about adequate but never more than that. When I had my Kraken, I stuck a 130mm Tora into it and instantly, it was transformed, and IMO better than many bikes costing twice as much. Still, they're about as good as you're going to get on a £400 bike.

Nothing really needs done to either bike- you could take them and go and do nevis red or mcmoab or something similiarly daft without too much crisis. In the longer run, the powerspline BBs are shortlived and the crankset weighs a lot anyway so with both bikes, an upgrade there would make sense. And maybe a shorter stem. The Kraken has nice wide 680mm bars as standard, which is more than some far more expensive bikes can boast. But don't worry that you need to spend a packet on upgrades.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    biff55 wrote:
    both good bikes but i'd say the GT slightly better because it has rebound adjustable forks

Are you sure? THe description says they're hydraulically damped but not that they're adjustable- the XCRs usually aren't.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    they are adjustable as I have got one for my son he loves it
    I have road it and its a nice bike and I do like the white/black look
    we got it for £320 last july
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Northwind
    Interesting... How does it adjust out of curiosity?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • joko55
    joko55 Posts: 1
    i work for halfords and both bikes are pretty much the same except the gt uses shimano and the carrera uses sram . The aggressor is specced for halfords ,it is the same as the Avalanche in the normal GT range. It really comes down to which one you like the look of .As for when the price will come down who knows, GT s dont tend to be on offer as often as carreras ,they sometimes go on offer as web only offers etc . Also if you work see if your work does a cycle to work scheme this will save you up to 30% to 40% per cent .
  • biff55
    Northwind wrote:
    biff55 wrote:

Are you sure? THe description says they're hydraulically damped but not that they're adjustable- the XCRs usually aren't.

had a quick look on halfords site before posting , pretty sure that wot it said pal , may be
    wrong but the word rebound in the spec description.
  • camerauk
    Northwind wrote:
    Interesting... How does it adjust out of curiosity?
    its got an adjuster on the top of the left leg and has a lock out on the right leg as you look from the riding position
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • camerauk
    copied from GT site and for the Avalanche 2.0 Disc which as far as I know is the same as the aggressor

FRAME: GT NEW Triple Triangle design 6061 butted aluminum with Hydro formed top and downtube, zero stack headtube. Disc compatible with removeable der. Hanger
    FORK: Suntour XCR-LO hydraulic fork with cr-mo 30 mm stanchions, magnesium lowers, preload adjust, 100 mm of travel and lock out
    CRANKSET / CHAINWHEEL: Shimano FC-M311 42/32/22
    BOTTOM BRACKET: Shimano Cartridge Sealed
    PEDALS: ATB Aluminum body, Steel cage, toe clip compatible
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano M -330
    REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano Deore Shadow
    SHIFTERS: Shimano 8 speed rapidfire shifters
    CHAIN: HG 40 Shimano 8 speed Chain
    RIMS: Jalco AX-430 Alloy double wall ATB
    FRONT HUB: Alloy QR for Disc
    REAR HUB: Aluminum QR sealed mechanism 8 speed cassette for Disc
    COG SET: Shimano Eight Speed, 11-32 ratio
    SPOKES: Stainless steel 14 gauge
    NIPPLES: Brass CP
    TIRES: Kenda Nevegal, 26 x 2.1
    FRONT BRAKE: Tektro Aquila cable actuated disc brake
    REAR BRAKE: Tektro Aquila cable actuated disc brake
    BRAKE LEVERS: Tektro
    HANDLEBAR: GT Mtn Riser, 15 mm rise, 6061 heat treated, 31.8 mm clamp
    STEM: GT ATB, threadless 25 degree rise with four bolt alum CNC face plate for 31.8mm
    HEADSET: Tange Seiki system for 1 1/8"
    GRIPS: GT Lockdown dual density with allen key fixing bolts
    SADDLE: WTB Pure V, with stitched cover and protective corners
    SEAT POST: Alloy Micro adjust 31.6 mm
    SEAT CLAMP: GT Forged Alum QR
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • biff55
    the halfords spec of that bike has different ( better ) folks which you've just listed mate.
    120mm suntours with rebound adjust.
  • camerauk
    yes just noticed that the spec I gave from GT is for the new 2010 model :oops:
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • biff55
    dont worry no-one around to notice :D
  • Northwind
    camerauk wrote:
    its got an adjuster on the top of the left leg and has a lock out on the right leg as you look from the riding position

That's the preload surely? The hydraulic damping (and lockout) cartridge is in the right leg, the spring is in the left.
    biff55 wrote:
    had a quick look on halfords site before posting , pretty sure that wot it said pal , may be wrong but the word rebound in the spec description.

It does, but it just says it's rebound damped (which it is, I think all the current XCRs are) but not that it has adjustable rebound damping. It doesn't say it doesn't, either, mind ;) But afaik the only XCR with adjustable rebound damping is the DA, which lacks the lockout.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • camerauk
    you can adjust the lever on the right as well it goes from fully open to fully closed(which is lock out) in small clicks
    I am not to clued up as to which is which I presume the left leg is preload and the right is damping!!!!!!!!
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • dr.a
    I'm sitting back here watching the fork discussion go by - Very helpful might I add lol :D

I'm going to sit on (And most likely buy) the Kraken on Saturday. I haven't reserved it online or anything, but I know they're in stock so I'll go along and check it out for size.

And anyway, I always look after my things 100%. Heck, my most cherished posessions, such as my guitars, my trusty old mobile phone etc are well looked after, even if they are old.

So I'll be sure to bump-clean the XCR's after every ride, and regularly clean/adjust the Kraken as necessary.

Pics shall follow, unless anyone has other comments to make ;)

Dr.A

• Northwind
    camerauk wrote:
    you can adjust the lever on the right as well it goes from fully open to fully closed(which is lock out) in small clicks
    !

Ah! That'd make sense then. I'd have thought that'd increase the compression as well?

It does seem like the Kraken has the exact same XCR fork now- it doesn't have the remote lockout any more- so maybe they both do it. Cool!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As mentioned earlier, the only XCR with rebound adjust is the XCR DA. The standard XCR is a simple coil fork with preload. The XCR MLO has a mechanical lockout

The XCR with hydraulic lockout seems to have some fixed rebound damping. Again, as mentioned, you can set it between on and off for extra control.

Either way, the Kraken and XC2 are superb for this money.