Food - what to eat in evening

zoozoo
zoozoo Posts: 4
First time poster, apologies if this is in wrong section.

Basically, I tend to ride (or at the moment go to the gym) in the evenings about 8 / 9 ish, and always get hungry when I get back, and end up eating crap.

I eat pretty standard meals during the day, just wandering if there is anything which is good for eating after a late session, or if it is more sensible just to try and alter eating habits during the day.

Cheers

Comments

• pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Basically, I tend to ride (or at the moment go to the gym) in the evenings about 8 / 9 ish

On a mountain bike I trust, I don't think I could face the icy roads on 25mm tyres :P

As for your question, try the same as you normally would after a session in the morning or afternoon, after all you need to recover after a hard training session. If you want to lose weight then just cut the carbs back in the evening and have a protein-only drink instead.

Something like this:

http://www.bodyactive-online.co.uk/Shop ... 00whey.asp
  • zoozoo
    On a road bike actually, but getting tired of falling on my side!

Protein Drink eh...not had them before, not overly keen to start, seem pretty pricey and too many differeing views on when/what to take etc...
  • nottscobb
    nottscobb Posts: 147
    You should eat something within 20 mins of stopping exercise to get the best benefit apparently and something protien rich will help the muscles repair for the next session. You don't have to go with fancy protien drinks if you don't want to. Some research reckons that a chocolate milkshake has near enough the right balance of protien and sugar to boost recovery so this should also stop you eating loads of crap when you get home.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    ok you have a few windows after a hard work out to help your body to get over it.

First 30 min(ish) after finishing a work out
    you need to get protine in your system as fast as you can. The powdered shakes can help doing this the easy way. or any snack egg whites. lean meat. ( protine gets catorgrised in how easy it is for your body to absorbe and hte shakes are the easyest then eggs then meat... you are wanting to avoid the egg yokes as they have alot of colesterol and eating 2 a day is bad.)

then before 2 hours after exersize you will be need to be getting a good balanced meal down your neck to refuel after a ride.

now finishing a workout at 10 i would say neck a shake have a shower and then have tuna and pasta with salad ( takes 10 min to make.) once you get home.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Reschedule your daytime food (if you can) to allow you to eat a bit after training - for example eat your healthy 'pudding' (yoghurt & fruit & bit of musli?) or some of your breakfast afterwards - toast and jam or whatever. Avoid eating cr*p and avoid eating loads more food - its very easy to overestimate how much you need even if you exercise an hour or so every day. protien shakes are good - quick and filling but expensive and usually you can get what proetin you need from a low fat tuna sarnie, glass of milk and a piece of fruit!
  • zoozoo
    Will probably do something like save a third of my evening meal till after training, and try protein or whatever if I'm still feeling starving afterwards.

Cheers for all your help
  • try a couple of snack a jacks (dont laugh!) and a pint of water.

they give you replacement salts + the water makes the rice cakes swell in your tum giving you a nice full belly to go to sleep on .......all for 100 cals

works for me
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    In the summer (and also in the winter on the trainer) I do most of my rides at that sort of time. I just eat my evening meal very late. I'll usually have a snack before riding, but just something to keep me going, like a bit of bread and jam or a few bananas. If I need it I'll eat an energy bar while riding. Main meal is often not until about 11pm, just before bed. I keep hearing that it's not good to eat before sleeping, but I don't believe it (or at least I don't think it's a problem for me). To me it seems like the most natural thing in the world to work, eat, then sleep.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I often eat a full evening meal after returning from the gym at 9 or even later sometimes, then go to bed at about 11 or 12. I know most advice is against this but if I feel the need to eat I'm not going to deprive myself. Your body will continue to burn energy at an elevated rate even after you have finished your gym session anyway, so your body will need re fuelling.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.