Excellent Site

yr99jparkin
yr99jparkin Posts: 47
Check this site out: http://ridewithgps.com/

I've been considering getting an Edge 705, but my qualms were whether I would easily be able to access Google Maps (best digital road map source IMO) to plot routes i want to follow. Found this site.....its so good!

Really good intuitive interface all for free. Heres a youtube video showing it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVR5mkYsCIE

Im brand new to sports GPS... so if this isn't as good as I think please let me know and offer any alternatives or existing software that is more capable.

J.P

Comments

• phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Thanks for that JP, very nice indeed. I've been using bikeroutetoaster for the past couple of years but this site looks really sweet and seems to function a tad faster. I also like the fact it shows the elevation just below the map in a more smoothed out fashion rather than the extremely spikey way toaster shows hills.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Well maybe it's still a bit early for me but I didn't find that one bit intuitive at all. :?

Bikeroutetoaster.com and bikehike.co.uk use EXACTLY the same Google maps (plus others). The only difference between the two is that they never seem to agree on the elevation data, but that matters not as I know myself where the hills are!
  • I'm looking at getting a 705 end of the month.
    i've looked at a few site to get the feel of them and out of them all i do prefer the feel to this one.(ridewithgps)
    would like to know if any one uses this site with thier GPS units and what they think
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Only problem I've found with ridewithgps is the max speed on my rides. Todays ride says I topped out at 245mph :shock:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • phil s
    Good effort. What was your heart rate at the time?
  • Hey I am one of the co-founders of the site. Just getting back into the swing of things after a bit of a break for the holidays!

redvee: I know what the issue is with max speed and will get that sorted out soon. Sorry about the confusion.

GavH: sorry the interface is not to your liking. What is it about the site that doesn't seem right to you? We use google maps as well, just like brt/bikehike, so the only difference is our stuff surrounding the actual map you work with.

Thanks for checking us out everyone, don't hesitate to chime in and let us know when something isn't to your liking (or doesn't work!)
  • phil s
    I really like it cullenking, I'll be trialling it for a month and if there's anything i can suggest i'd be happy to drop you a line. so far so good, though.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    seems a pretty cool site, not tried routing yet though.
    how are you working out average power?
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    seems like a nice setup. Trying to put in a few routes for my club but IE keeps crashing whenever I go to save the route....rather annoying.
  • G-Wiz
    G-Wiz Posts: 261
    I've been using mapmyride.com for a while, just on the free membership, really pleased with it, and using it to keep a log of my general training as well as storing routes.

You can use it for planning routes rather than just following what you've done, then upload to your 705. As you plot the route it It follows the road line automatically so you don't get your bloody gps beeping at you because you haven't cut the corner of some field.

The elevation profiles look pretty suspect (about 20% too flat), but the rest of it is great.
  • Site look nice, I've used Garmin Connect and Bikeroutetoaster up until now. I've tried to upload a few rides from my Garmin Edge 705 but it keeps crashing. Also notice that it didn't seem to capture the HR info, and the boxes were blank for me to fill in (If GC can do it I'm sure this can too?). Mind you, it crashed before I got to the end of the process so maybe it did so in the next step. (Using Google Chrome, not tried other browsers)

I'll keep and eye on it though, it seems to have potential. Be nice to have a logbook and route planner all in one application. A few bugs to be ironed out first it seems.

Dex.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I use www.endomondo.com with my Nokia 6800 phone. Its completely free as the GPS was already in my phone.

I guess this is similar?

Can it go on your phone?