So......these skinny 10 stone climbers ?

13»

Comments

• holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Just weighed myself and I'm 86.9kgs and I reckon I'm too heavy at 83kg. :cry: Did lose weight a few years ago (started at 83kgs)when I had an injury and doing no exercise by cutting out foodstuffs made from cows milk. Difficult to find alternative foodstuffs as I have a large appetite, but honestly I lost more than 1/2 a stone over a few weeks with no exercise.
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    Pokerface wrote:
    Roscobob wrote:
    Pokerface, that's some effort mate. I'm 6'3" and 19 stone and looking to lose about 5 or 6 stone before next summer.

You've proven it can be done 8)

Before THIS summer (2010) or NEXT summer (2011)?

It's possible (2010) - but my weight loss isn't typical. Big trade-off between fast weight loss and performance improvement. You can't do both.

Just cut out everything fun and tasty in your life and up the exercise - and the weight will come off. Once I quit drinking I lost a good stone just from that!

Summer 2011.

I've packed in all the sh1te that I was putting into my body and replaced it with things that are good for my body. Hopefully that means I will become better on the bike but it isn't necessarily low in calories for quick weight loss. Trying to be healthier and improve on the bike and hopefully the weight will come off naturally.

I do have a good drink but only when I have reason too so not on the booze too often anyway although I will assess more seriously now whether or not to have a drink when out. Drive, save cash, spend it on goodies for the bike!

2010's gonna be a good year! :lol:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Roscobob wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Roscobob wrote:
    Pokerface, that's some effort mate. I'm 6'3" and 19 stone and looking to lose about 5 or 6 stone before next summer.

It's possible (2010) - but my weight loss isn't typical. Big trade-off between fast weight loss and performance improvement. You can't do both.

Just cut out everything fun and tasty in your life and up the exercise - and the weight will come off. Once I quit drinking I lost a good stone just from that!

Summer 2011.

I've packed in all the sh1te that I was putting into my body and replaced it with things that are good for my body. Hopefully that means I will become better on the bike but it isn't necessarily low in calories for quick weight loss. Trying to be healthier and improve on the bike and hopefully the weight will come off naturally.

I do have a good drink but only when I have reason too so not on the booze too often anyway although I will assess more seriously now whether or not to have a drink when out. Drive, save cash, spend it on goodies for the bike!

You may find this enlightening and helpful:
    www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate

Use it for a few days (or longer) and you'll get a REALLY good idea of how many calories you are taking in (and putting out). It's shocking how many calories some 'healthy' food has!

It's also surprising how many calories you can go through in a day if you're not careful.
  • Roscobob
    Pokerface wrote:
    Roscobob wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Roscobob wrote:

Summer 2011.

You may find this enlightening and helpful:
    www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate

Use it for a few days (or longer) and you'll get a REALLY good idea of how many calories you are taking in (and putting out). It's shocking how many calories some 'healthy' food has!

It's also surprising how many calories you can go through in a day if you're not careful.

Thanks mate, I appreciate it.
  • im 17, 5'10 and weigh 63kg. logic says i should climb fairly well, and when the road ramps up, i can usually keep with the pack on the club ride. on the flat isnt so bad, us less powerful riders can shelter a bit and let the TT tuesday guys do their stuff. What really makes the difference is the descending after the hill. more experienced guys seem not to touch the brakes, and a riding buddy left me for dead recently in the trough of bowland. when i saw him agen at the cafe his computer said he had hit 50+mph.
    so, my point, basically is there is no point being an excellent climber like the schlecks if you're too trigger happy on the brakes over the horizon.
    Go for the break
    Create a chaingang
    Make sure you don't break your chain
  • I put my details into the livestrong daily plate calculator, to maintain my weight... very active came out as 3500 calories per day, and extremely active came out at 4100!

4100!!! Isn't the recommended daily average for men about 2500! I know that takes into account exercise but still an eye opener. Good job I eat a lot anyway - off to find a sandwich.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    I was told by my doctor that true RDA figures are highly personal and can change depending on other things, such as how much sleep you get. In other words, it's almost impossible to calculate exactly what you need all the time. Also, RDA figures for a cyclist/active person is about 20% higher than a normal person BEFORE taking into account the requirements needed for the actual cycling itself, because the body needs more for general maintainance/immune system/etc.

So basically, if you have a powermeter and can work out how much you're burning, you'll have to ADD this to your normal RDAs unless you're trying to lose weight.

So, as you can imagine, it's suprising how much it adds up to. As a former cyclist, my doc estimated the average cyclist to be on 5000 kcal/day for an average "hard" 3 hour ride for maintaining weight/optimum recovery. How many people are on that? :shock:
  • Bhima wrote:
    I was told by my doctor that true RDA figures are highly personal and can change depending on other things, such as how much sleep you get. In other words, it's almost impossible to calculate exactly what you need all the time. Also, RDA figures for a cyclist/active person is about 20% higher than a normal person BEFORE taking into account the requirements needed for the actual cycling itself, because the body needs more for general maintainance/immune system/etc.

So basically, if you have a powermeter and can work out how much you're burning, you'll have to ADD this to your normal RDAs unless you're trying to lose weight.

So, as you can imagine, it's suprising how much it adds up to. As a former cyclist, my doc estimated the average cyclist to be on 5000 kcal/day for an average "hard" 3 hour ride for maintaining weight/optimum recovery. How many people are on that? :shock:

Cyclists especially are notorious for over estimating the amount of calorie intake they need, and I'd seriously suggest your doctor has done just that. 5000kcal a day i a ridiculous amount of food to be consuming during training. Perhaps a stage race?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Yes its easy to over estimate what you need ... :oops: - eat normally, helathily, reschedule mealtimes to fit around training. unless your doing 2 hours a day of very fast rides an extra slice of bread and glass of milk will cover most requirements....on eth days you actually exercise. Shuffles with teh dog or a day in front of a terminal count as sednetary ....
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    seward4or5 wrote:
    I put my details into the livestrong daily plate calculator, to maintain my weight... very active came out as 3500 calories per day, and extremely active came out at 4100!

4100!!! Isn't the recommended daily average for men about 2500! I know that takes into account exercise but still an eye opener. Good job I eat a lot anyway - off to find a sandwich.

what's your job out of interest? I use the livestrong iPhone app and put my level down as sedatory, as, excluding training, I only have a 10 minute ride to and from work every day then sit at a pc all day. Training is about 1 hour turbo or run per day, which hr monitor says is 800 cals but I count as 500.

This means I'm working to about 1800 cals a day to lose a pound a week, which seems to be working out for me (lost 4 stone in 2009, about 10lbs to go.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    sagalout wrote:
    seward4or5 wrote:
    I put my details into the livestrong daily plate calculator, to maintain my weight... very active came out as 3500 calories per day, and extremely active came out at 4100!

what's your job out of interest? I use the livestrong iPhone app and put my level down as sedatory, as, excluding training, I only have a 10 minute ride to and from work every day then sit at a pc all day. Training is about 1 hour turbo or run per day, which hr monitor says is 800 cals but I count as 500.

This means I'm working to about 1800 cals a day to lose a pound a week, which seems to be working out for me (lost 4 stone in 2009, about 10lbs to go.

SOunds about right. I tried including dog walks in 'daily activity' but as I sit on my ass all day otherwise it made little difference when I actually worked out what a 'dog walk' was in terms of exercise (not much) . So I count myself as sedentary adn add exercise as and when its done. Seems better ....
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    Pokerface wrote:
    October 2007:

P-DayHamburg029.jpg

January 2008:

January.jpg

Thats pretty amazing for just 3 months!

Heres my before and after pics, but over a year:

2008, 16.5 stones (233lbs)

821589162_b666990100.jpg

2009, 12st 3 (171lbs)

4259353011_2e2db35f9f.jpg
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Great job there sagalout!
  • Pokerface
    Garz wrote:

+1. It's hard work - but well worth it. I'm in the process of (slowly) trying to drop another stone. Or two. Counting calories and working hard. 1-2 a week. Not the 7 pounds a week I was losing before! :shock:
  • 8 stone here :) I fly up hills. not bad on flats or sprints, but can get away from a group ok. but not a strong as the bigger guys.
    I do science, sometimes.
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    Pokerface wrote:
    Garz wrote:

+1. It's hard work - but well worth it. I'm in the process of (slowly) trying to drop another stone. Or two. Counting calories and working hard. 1-2 a week. Not the 7 pounds a week I was losing before! :shock:

wow, that is inspiring! your pictures are really powerful. I'm aiming to loose weight from my current 16 stone (i'm 6' 1") level, which is going to be hard as I sit on my backside all day at a computer. Plus I don't have a huge amount of free time to train with 2 small children. But I need to find the time!
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • Pokerface
    othello wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Garz wrote:

wow, that is inspiring! your pictures are really powerful. I'm aiming to loose weight from my current 16 stone (i'm 6' 1") level, which is going to be hard as I sit on my backside all day at a computer. Plus I don't have a huge amount of free time to train with 2 small children. But I need to find the time!

I sit on my arse all day in front of a computer too. But when I was losing all the serious weight I had more time to train. Now I try and do at least an hour a day. If done right, you can still achieve your goals!
  • mentalalex wrote:
    8 stone here :) I fly up hills. not bad on flats or sprints, but can get away from a group ok. but not a strong as the bigger guys.
    8 stone!
    Is that not a bit light for any racing? Are you a youth rider?
    What level are you racing at?
  • Pokerface
    Well - just weighed myself for the first time since before Christmas....

Have dropped another half stone!! WHOOOP! (And that's without having seen the road for weeks now!)

Another 10 to 15 pounds to go before I hit racing weight. Very exciting. First time I've been this weight since I was about 20 (almost 20 years ago!).

Just proves that with careful eating and exercise, you CAN lose weight. Just takes a little discipline. And ever increasingly smaller clothing. 8)
  • Youth u16.

racing atm..mainly doing MTB and cross but will do a few road races. but i race at a high level :)
    I do science, sometimes.
  • Mr*Paul
    Mr*Paul Posts: 33
    Just proves that with careful eating and exercise, you CAN lose weight. Just takes a little discipline. And ever increasingly smaller clothing. 8)[/quote]

I know exactly where you're coming from here ...of course I haven't lost as much as you, but what I have lost has relegated all of my work suits to the wardrobe ...the one very annoying thing about weight loss :roll:
  • Roscobob
    1lb gone. Strict as feck but beer on Friday and Saturday can't have helped. Bring on the thaw!