Gearing for a 26" SS bike

clanton
clanton Posts: 1,289
edited January 2010 in The workshop
I have a pretty good idea of the ratios used offroad on singlespeed MTB's but what is the sort of range people use on commuterised MTBs on road? Say for rolling terrain, mid distance, no major climbs.

Comments

• slick or knobbies?

knobbies 32:16

slicks 34:14

if you need a larger gear then you will have to use a larger front ring as you will have skipping problems with anything less than 14 on the back.
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    I have a converted mid 90's steel Marin MTB & put 1.5" slicks on it. I've settled with 44 on the front & 16 on the back, this comes out at approx the same ratio as running the popular 42/16 on a 700c wheel.
    I Found this gives a usable top speed without spinning out all the time, plus it's easy enough to start off with & get up hills with a bit of effort, although when I added SPD's onto the bike it helped a lot.
    When I first built it I had 32/16 & it just didn't work on the road, I would sprint & spin out then free wheel then repeat, with 44/16 I have a gear that I can constantly pedal.

DSC00216.jpg
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    When I used my mountain bike with 1.5" slicks, I was running 38:12. 'Twas lovely.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    44:16 on my Inbred, now the same on my Tricross.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I've stuck with 32/16. I have a couple of hardish but short climbs on my commute. I think I could just cope with 42/16, which would be better on the flats and downhills.

I also use the SS bike for MTB routes on Knobblies so it'll remain at 32/16 until doomsday :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Hi there, I don't usually hijack another thread, but I'm going through the process of sourcing kit for my singlespeed conversion....... most of the cycling will be commuting on road so after reading some of the posts on here and other threads I'm going for a ratio of 44/16. I'm looking to buy a conversion kit from one-one or superstar and have a few queries:

1. Should the front chainring be a middle or an outer?
    2. Do I need a singlespeed specific chain?
    3. Which tensioner is better - a jockey wheel type or roller?

Cheers, lawson_m20....
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    lawson_m20 wrote:
    Hi there, I don't usually hijack another thread, but I'm going through the process of sourcing kit for my singlespeed conversion....... most of the cycling will be commuting on road so after reading some of the posts on here and other threads I'm going for a ratio of 44/16. I'm looking to buy a conversion kit from one-one or superstar and have a few queries:

1. Should the front chainring be a middle or an outer?
    Doesn't matter- the difference is there to aid shifting and you won't be.
    2. Do I need a singlespeed specific chain?
    No, but it's better suited to the job, so if you are making a choice you may as well opt for one.
    3. Which tensioner is better - a jockey wheel type or roller?
    Dunno, sorry- not used either, as I ride fixed. Maybe you can do without- do you have horizontal dropouts that allow you to adjust chain tension?

Cheers,
    W.
  • Thanks W

I have vertical dropouts so will need a tensioner...... regarding chainrings - can I use any chainring, or are there SS specific ones that I should be looking at?

I am looking forward to spending some time buying kit this afternoon :D .

J