Weight Training

dinsdale81
dinsdale81 Posts: 44
Afternoon,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding the use of weight training to compliment my cycling.

I'm currently 11st 6lbs and would like to get down into the 10's and i've read that weight ( more specifically strength) training could help me in achieving that target. The articles seem to suggest that in order to increase strength while not 'bulking' up, i should be looking at lifting heavy weight for a maximum of 6 reps over 2 sets. Does this sound right? I'm not looking at turning into Arnie, i just want to increase my strength, particularly in my abs, back and shoulders and feel that a bit of weight training could help.

Does anyone use weights to compliment there training? Does what i say weight wise make sense? Am i completely barking up the wrong tree.

Cheers

Dale :shock:
History will be kind to me for i intend to write it!

Fortune Favours the Bold!

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Regarding weights - thats what I've read & experienced - eat sensibly, and do pretty heavy reps - you wont bulk up but you will strengthen your joints and the amount of muscle doing the work is greatly increased. You can build a strong back and leg muscles without getting much bigger.
    BUT dont go there immediately - spend at least a few weeks getting to such low reps, start at 16, and make careful stretching after a part of your routine.
    AND... not everyone thinks strength training has a role in a cyclists life (and clearly it wont help your aerobic ability to ride for any length of time). Having said that if your more into fitness and weight loss a mix of exercise will be of benefit, cycling for heart & lungs (or running or swimming!), correctly preformed 'complex' strength training (squats, deadlifts, chins etc) and good diet is one way to go.
    good luck!
  • Thanks for the answers guys!

As with other posts i have read, there are the two conflicting idea's about whether there is any real benefit in incorporating weights into your training programme.

I probably should have mentioned that all my training is aimed towards completing sportives in the summer, notably Les Trois Ballon in France which climbs the 3no Ballon Peaks making for around 4500m of climbing. I just thought that a bit of training with weights could strengthen my torso and upper body which tends to suffer a bit when i'm climbing.

Seeing as these are endurance events, Alex_Simmons/RST advice of weights not being beneficial to my training would seem to ring true.

I currently do spin classes as an alternative to getting out on the bike and training but it seems a waste to have a gym membership and not take full advantage of the facilities if there is a chance it could help me in some way. Could anyone recommend any exercies i could do in the gym to improve my cycling/endurance or is it a case of doing lots of sit-ups and spending 40minues on the roller?

Thanks for all your help so far!
    History will be kind to me for i intend to write it!

Fortune Favours the Bold!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960

Alex - what about the role of 'cross training' in regards to improving cycling performances? Say - working on a step machine.

In your opinion, are there ANY other forms of exercise/weights that are beneficial to cycling? If only to break the monotony of being on the bike every day?

And lastly, on a personal note, have you done any paralympic road racing or TT? I've seen your track ranking but haven't seen your name in the road results.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Alex - what about the role of 'cross training' in regards to improving cycling performances? Say - working on a step machine.

In your opinion, are there ANY other forms of exercise/weights that are beneficial to cycling? If only to break the monotony of being on the bike every day?
    Nothing wrong with a bit of down time or a break from cycling (but not long - a week or two). It's more a mental need than a physical one.

If doing some cross training keeps spirits up and help keep basic fitness and weight in control, then that's good. But bike specific fitness will decline and require rebuilding. I think I already mentioned a range of aerobically meaningful such exercises that use major muscle groups (like step machines, rowing machines, elliptical trainers, XC skiing, jogging, swimming) are best for general conditioning but fitness is quite exercise modality specific. MTB, cyclo-cross would be better cross training options.

I'm not against weights. I'm just for training that's specific to improving cycling performance, when that's what people are asking about. If people just want to look good they can do weights for that or other reasons and that's fine, just don't expect it'll have much impact on bike performance (unless you are undertrained to start with). Some like it because they enjoy it. Do what you like doing.
    Pokerface wrote:
    And lastly, on a personal note, have you done any paralympic road racing or TT? I've seen your track ranking but haven't seen your name in the road results.
    I raced our National para road champs (Apr) and Oceania Paralympic champs (May) in 2009. 2 Silver at nats 2 Gold at Oceania.

I now won't be doing track nats (early Feb), long story but my State federation has screwed me over on selection policy. 2nd year running. Nothing to do with my performance/times - well inside qualifying standard. So Paralympic cycling can take a running jump as far as I'm concerned. I'll just get back to winning ordinary cycling events instead. Pretty bloody annoyed as I had set my primary season goal on the track nats.