Which tyres?

Squillinossett
Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
edited January 2010 in Road buying advice
Out of these two, which would you choose?

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... FREE_.html

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 239wt_1165

If anyone would like to suggest others around this price. please let me know?

Need to replace the 23mm ones that will come on the Boardman, as I will need 25mm.

Thanks

Comments

• Vittoria Open Pave, officially they are 24mm, but in reality come up a little wider.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    TornadoTom wrote:
    Vittoria Open Pave, officially they are 24mm, but in reality come up a little wider.

I would have suggested them but they are double the budget...
  • I would love open Pave, but for now, im sticking to £30ish for the pair. Then after that will look at open paves (maybe for Birthday in April of the Mrs)
  • What's wrong with Conti Ultra Sports then? Use the ones on the bike. They are free
  • but also 23mm - im 15 stone
  • but also 23mm - im 15 stone

and?
  • I made the change from 23mm to 25mm on my current bike, and wouldnt go back, ride quality is 200x better.
  • Anonymous
    Buy one Open pave for the back for now, then get the other later!
  • I made the change from 23mm to 25mm on my current bike, and wouldnt go back, ride quality is 200x better.

If you are interested in ride quality Open Paves are the way forward, the ride quality will 400x better, and a better buy than a carbon stem and bars :wink:
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    i run stelvios on the winter bike. they would be best this time of year.they are usualy £20 each so thats a bargain.
  • I know, I know, but im I just cant get exited about tyres :oops:

I will get open Paves at some stage, but will get someone to buy them for me :)
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    there comes a cost point when two cheaper sets of tyres does as good as 1 very expensive set in my opinion. change them more often.
  • Or, Nap and Tom, you think I would be better putting up with 23 until April and just get the Paves then?
  • Or, Nap and Tom, you think I would be better putting up with 23 until April and just get the Paves then?

Have you tried the others yet? Or are you assuming, granted i'm a bag of bones but 200x more comfortable? :shock:
  • Not tried them yet, but from my own experience I noticed a big difference.

Idea been, if unused, I would get more for them on ebay you see.
  • Anonymous
    Or, Nap and Tom, you think I would be better putting up with 23 until April and just get the Paves then?

That one.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Or, Nap and Tom, you think I would be better putting up with 23 until April and just get the Paves then?

That one.

Oui, Mon Capitaine.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    sycophants....

:shock:
  • Planet x Model B
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    TornadoTom wrote:
    What's wrong with Conti Ultra Sports then? Use the ones on the bike. They are free

No offence but they are probably the worst tyres I have every owned. Came on my Boardman SC and were terrible from the start. 10 punctures in three rides was bad enough but they don't roll very well or corner well with a reluctance to turn into bends.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Planet x Model B

he wants tyres - not wheels...
  • Can any one link me the cheapest place to pick up some paves?

Black/White or Black/Yellow or Black
  • Jimbo.
    Jimbo. Posts: 124
    eBay, for IRO £66/pair. Only available in green/black wherever you go.
  • Anonymous
    Ribble selling the black/green for just under £60 a pair when they are in stock. Just bought 2 Continental GP4000s and 2 tubes for £51.95 which is very cheap compared to my LBS (£82) and even wiggle etc
  • Green is a no go im afraid!
  • markos1963 wrote:
    TornadoTom wrote:
    What's wrong with Conti Ultra Sports then? Use the ones on the bike. They are free

No offence but they are probably the worst tyres I have every owned. Came on my Boardman SC and were terrible from the start. 10 punctures in three rides was bad enough but they don't roll very well or corner well with a reluctance to turn into bends.

I commuted through Warrington on them for 2 years and didn't get any punctures.
  • Anonymous
    TornadoTom wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:
    TornadoTom wrote:

I commuted through Warrington on them for 2 years and didn't get any punctures.

Crikey, that's a long ride to work!! :shock:
  • Green is a no go im afraid!

Green or Black are the only accepted options for Tyres.

Didn't do Tommeke any harm:

Boonen_Roubaix_SL2_PR_full_view.jpg
  • Anonymous
    May get some tubs for mine -

RVV_Cervelo_S2.jpg
  • IMO, they look awful! just does not fit with the bike! errrggg