Trek Madone 6.9

2»

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Looking good mate. How do you find the rear brake? Looking at your pic I think I have cut my rear outer a bit short and am thinking that is maybe why my rear feels so spongy :?

The rear brake and the cable length has always been a giant pain. I got the length right now and just use the same length any time I replace the outer.

If the outer is too short it pulls the brake to one side - or the inner doesn't retract properly.

I have to admit - it's a bit of a design flaw!
  • CarbonCopy
    CarbonCopy Posts: 492
    Maybe look into some heavier Pedals? to add some weight?.
  • Pokerface
    CarbonCopy wrote:
    Maybe look into some heavier Pedals? to add some weight?.

Yes - it'll be a few changes like this all around to add the needed weight. Might have to get some lead-lined bartape if all else fails!
  • relanium
    relanium Posts: 487
    You could look into changing pedals, skewers, maybe heavier bottle cages or even slightly heavier tubes on the wheels.
  • Pokerface
    Can't change bottle cages (special aero shape specific to bottles). Plus they are stainless steel so won't find anything much heavier.

I have heavier pedals on another bike to swap on. Have ordered heavier skewers.

Only about 150 grams away now!

May just stuff some extra weight in the end of the handlebars or bottom bracket if it comes to that.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,077
    put some lights on for the weight :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pokerface wrote:

May just stuff some extra weight in the end of the handlebars or bottom bracket if it comes to that.

A nice traditional bell should do it. B'rrinnggg b'rrinnnggg :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pokerface wrote:
    Can't change bottle cages (special aero shape specific to bottles). Plus they are stainless steel so won't find anything much heavier.

Ice, lots of it, then after weighing it melts and flows away...
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    relanium wrote:
    You could look into changing pedals, skewers, maybe heavier bottle cages or even slightly heavier tubes on the wheels.

'Tubs', there are no tubes! :wink:

I'd stick a bit of lead under the BB... If stuck properly, it may fall off during the ride. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • CarbonCopy
    CarbonCopy Posts: 492
    Bag an old chain wrapped in a cloth and drop it in the seat tube? weight is low and central then.
  • cyclingpunk
    cyclingpunk Posts: 368
    Pokerface wrote:
    The rear brake and the cable length has always been a giant pain. I got the length right now and just use the same length any time I replace the outer.

If the outer is too short it pulls the brake to one side - or the inner doesn't retract properly.

I have to admit - it's a bit of a design flaw!

Cool, at least it is not me being a retard! I cut a longer out... and it ended up being still too short :roll: . Now because it has been on a while I will probably have to get a new inner as it will be really hard to get the little clamp threaded to where it was before as the hole is pretty narrow... bit of a pain in the ass in that respect too.

They look nice though eh :lol:
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    Pokerface wrote:

Would you believe - it weighs in at 6.5KG - so I have to find a way to add 300g to make it UCI legal (for some UCI events I'll be riding later this year!)

I've just weighed my Madone at my LBS, 6.84kg!!!!! Yours is the next size up though....
  • Pokerface
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Ice, lots of it, then after weighing it melts and flows away...

I think they weigh the bikes at the END of the race. :oops:
  • Pokerface
    CarbonCopy wrote:
    Bag an old chain wrapped in a cloth and drop it in the seat tube? weight is low and central then.

Great idea. Except Madone's don't have a seat tube! At least not an 'open' one. The frame is sealed at the top of the seat tube - and the seatpost (or seatmast as they call it) actually fits over top. :cry:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Some sort of sealant in the tubs maybe?

Or just add an appropriately shaped piece of metal to the hollow crank axle...
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    How do pro teams get around the weight issue?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Pokerface
    Ben6899 wrote:

They don't. Their bikes are all over or at the minimum weight.

But pro bikes also don't have superfluous bits of 'bling' on them (like lightweight skewers or special CNC brakesets, etc).

A lot of Pro bikes will also have some sort of power measurement (like SRM cranks or powertap hubs), which add weight.
  • Pokerface

Or just add an appropriately shaped piece of metal to the hollow crank axle...

Yes - this will be what I end up doing no doubt.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Pokerface wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

But pro bikes also don't have superfluous bits of 'bling' on them (like lightweight skewers or special CNC brakesets, etc).

A lot of Pro bikes will also have some sort of power measurement (like SRM cranks or powertap hubs), which add weight.

There were pictures of Andy Schleks bike after the TdF last year, where you could see the little lead strips stuck under the downtube! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    hopper1 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

There were pictures of Andy Schleks bike after the TdF last year, where you could see the little lead strips stuck under the downtube! :wink:

Some Pro bikes do end up under 6.8Kg, but a lot don't.

A lot of pro issue frames are beefed up with extra layers to make them a bit stiffer, Scott are a noticeable example, and then an SRM/Powertap, alloy bars and stem, some pros also ride old fashioned heavy saddles.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    Ben6899 wrote:
    i think they put lead in the hollow bb.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Ben6899 wrote:

check out the last bit of this story (is even the sameish bike):

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/p ... done-22518

so it seems all you need is your own personal mechanic!