think ive broke my hope pro 2 hub

2»

Comments

• The hope QR seatclamp is the biggest POS i've ever bought..... seriously, how have they managed to get that wrong?
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    a steel bodied pro2 is still a fair bit lighter than a xt though (about 150-175g)

and whats wrong with a hope seat clamp? ive been using one for a while without any drama.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    richg1979 wrote:
    a steel bodied pro2 is still a fair bit lighter than a xt though (about 150-175g)

I don't think that's right, an XT M775 is about 410 grams, even an alloy bodied Pro 2 is barely under 300 grams according to Hope.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    XT M775 is listed as being 39g lighter than the previous M765, which Shimano claimed was 369g. Hope Pro2 is listed as 285g. The steel freehub adds 60g...
  • My mates hope QR seatclamp has just broken.. The clamp band just cracked straight down it..he's not big either, so no stupid tightness issues.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Upgrade to DT Swiss hubs whilst your wheel is apart.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Does this happen on most of the hubs or is it a common Hope issue?
    If it is, then why the high price when you don't get a high quality.
    Or is it the weight saving that you pay for?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Xtreem

it is currently a Hope problem. (should have been sorted).

there are lighter hubs that do not have these issues.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Hope Pro II hubs on both my bikes - no problems at all including doing the Mega, and I weigh nearly 17 stone.

The marking on the freehub is annoying but only cosmetic according to Hope I think.

There might be better hubs for the money but I like to support a local (Lancashire even :) ) company with great customer service.
  • richg1979
    what they claim and what they are are 2 diffrent things.

ive always found shimano are about 100g heavier than claimed and hope are not far out.

shimano xt 756 rear hub is 575g they claim about 440g
  • Northwind
    It's true some of their weights are a bit optimistic, but if a 756 is your comparison remember they're the best part of a decade old!

Weight weenies has the 770 rear as 404g measured, surprisingly enough that includes the skewer which gets you very close to Shimano's claimed weights without the skewer. I believe the Hope weights are without a skewer.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • richg1979
    yep but the m770 is a non disc hub so going to be a fair bit lighter than disc hub for a start.

404g for a non disc hub is heavy, what weight is this spec'd at by shimano? 340g ish?
  • Northwind
    So it is :) I was thinking of my ones. Shimano claim 408g with QR which is actually 4g more than the measured weight on Weightweenies.

Another example, M765- claimed weight 369g, measured weight 368g. In fact, most of the ones listed on weightweenies are similiar, within a few grams of the claimed weight.

Unfortunately WW don't have an independant measurement for the current disc hubs but I've just looked over basically every comparison they have for Shimano and in most cases the claimed weight is heavier than the real weight, and it's never once more than a few grams lighter. So it seems like Shimano are actually very honest. I'd say their claimed 411g for the current XT hub is probably pretty much spot on
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    Oh, interestingly enough, there's not many comparison weights on WW for Hope but for every last one, the claimed weight is less than the measured weight. So it seems like it's not Shimano who're doing the dirty here ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    Shimanos claimed weights are very close. You need to look at the exact model and see if the skewer is included.

Centrelock hubs are only slightly heavier than non centrelock.

756 are heavy hubs. M775 hubs are about the same, or slightly lighter than a Hope Pro2 witha steel freehub body.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    meanwhile, back at the point.....
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • supersonic
    Threads do sometimes have related content you know...
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I did actually weigh my XT hub when it mangled my wheel, not sure of the exact number but I do remember being pleasantly surprised.

That said, I'm staying with Hopes from now on, the idea that the freehub body is getting potentially getting small notches on really doesn't bother me*. I'll replace it with another alloy one, it's certainly not a regular thing. Besides, 60g saving on a wheel weight is pretty meaty, it's like the weight difference between Deore and XT hubs or comparing Champion spokes and Revolutions.

As for there being lots of other light hubs without issues, anything with an aluminium freehub body has exactly the same issues, be it a DT Swiss 240 or Chris King. It's not a Hope issue, it's what you get when you run an aluminum freehub body.

*admittedly if it explodes like that one I'll be less understanding :P