David Millar's Commonwealth Games ban overturned

hommelbier
hommelbier Posts: 1,555
edited December 2009 in Pro race
Seems that his anti-doping stance has paid off. Perhaps fessing up works better than denial?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/dec/21/david-millar-commonwealth-games

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,861
    two minds about this

perhaps it would be best if he voluntarily banned himself

perverse I know
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I agree completely with you, mididoctor.

I'm pleased for the Sainted One, yet uneasy at the precedent it could set.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    hommelbier wrote:
    Seems that his anti-doping stance has paid off. Perhaps fessing up works better than denial?

Good decision imo he has done his time so he should be allowed to compete cant see too many negatives with this really.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • +1 for you Moray. As you say, he's served his sentence time-wise as well as being blacklisted by British Cycling for long enough.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • Millar did voluntarily ban himself, he has stated publicly that he would not seek to overturn his commonwealth or olympic exclusion and when Dwain Chambers took the British Olympic Comittee to court to try and get to the last games Millar was on record as saying that he would not try to use any outcome in Chambers favour to his own advantage.
    So, he took it like a grown up and acted with some degree of 'honour' and fair play to him if the Commonwealth Games authorities feel like opening a place for him.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    Millar did voluntarily ban himself, he has stated publicly that he would not seek to overturn his commonwealth or olympic exclusion and when Dwain Chambers took the British Olympic Comittee to court to try and get to the last games Millar was on record as saying that he would not try to use any outcome in Chambers favour to his own advantage.
    So, he took it like a grown up and acted with some degree of 'honour' and fair play to him if the Commonwealth Games authorities feel like opening a place for him.

Fairplay to Millar indeed, he took his punishment on the chin, like a man! However, I think the comparison with Chambers is a difficult one, as the Olympics/Commonwealths aren't nearly as big a deal for him as a cyclist as they would be for Chambers as an athlete.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • True, though the public at large rate the olympics head and shoulders above anything that Millar has, might have or will achieve as a trade team or even worlds rider...
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He has literally "served time", spending his spare time to visit younger kids and athletes or to sit on WADA commissions, all in the purpose of saying "I've been there, don't go there".

I can't name any other rider who has done this, despite so many positive tests in the sport.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    Millar did voluntarily ban himself, he has stated publicly that he would not seek to overturn his commonwealth or olympic exclusion and when Dwain Chambers took the British Olympic Comittee to court to try and get to the last games Millar was on record as saying that he would not try to use any outcome in Chambers favour to his own advantage.

But from the article
    David Millar has won a landmark appeal against his lifetime ban from the Commonwealth Games

Millar said he will target the time trial – in which he is likely to start as favourite – and road race in Delhi. "I'm absolutely delighted with the decision. I've never competed in a major games, and I thought the chance had gone," said Millar, who revealed the appeal was initiated by Scottish Cycling.

Millar has previously said he would appeal the BOA's lifetime ban, though he shifted his position after Dwain Chambers's unsuccessful challenge last year. The grounds of his appeal to the CGS – on the basis of his anti-doping contribution – sets an interesting precedent, but Millar insisted he has no intention of taking on the BOA. "If someone else appeals and has it overturned, that's different. But I'm not going to initiate it."

So Millar hasn't banned himself, he wants to ride, although it wasn't his appeal it was Scottish Cycling's ?
    - although I can't imagine they would have bothered if he didn't want to do it, so presumably they've done it on his behalf because it would look better coming from them ?

But he still won't appeal the Olympic ban
    - although I don't really see the comparison with Chambers
    - Chambers denied it, denied it until he was forced to admit it because the evidence showed it, was forced into reluctantly saying it was wrong in an effort to try to overturn the ban, was forced to reluctantly ask Victor Conte to reveal what he was on because he didn't actually know, then tried to overturn the ban in a nasty court case...
    - Millar's approach of taking the ban and actually doing something for anti-doping is a bit different
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    Silly decision, keep him out, hardly a lesson for others. Remember the idiot was anti doping before he got rumbled?
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Moray Gub wrote:
    hommelbier wrote:

Good decision imo he has done his time so he should be allowed to compete cant see too many negatives with this really.

He's not only served his time (Vino did that), but he's genuinely repented, changed his stance and has done what he can to encourage a cleaner more ethical sport.

Great decision. Will be a heck of a TT with him, Wiggins, Evans and Rogers (if he doesn't get glandular fever again) slugging it out.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Timoid. wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    hommelbier wrote:

He's not only served his time (Vino did that), but he's genuinely repented, changed his stance and has done what he can to encourage a cleaner more ethical sport.

Great decision. Will be a heck of a TT with him, Wiggins, Evans and Rogers (if he doesn't get glandular fever again) slugging it out.

+1+1+1
    Dan
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    He may be a reformed cheat, but he's a former cheat all the same.

He should have never been allowed to compete for GB following his come back from his ban - sends out completely the wrong message.

Appeciate he's served his ban and deserves to be able to make a living by racing again.

Worth remembering he only become co-operative with the authorities after they discovered syringes and EPO in his house. Up until that point, he denied any wrong-doing to the hilt. He did not confess - he was caught red handed simply confirmed the obvious.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Maybe it's just because Scottish Cycling can't find any other riders to do the RR next year.

What's Moray Gub doing next October?
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Maybe it's just because Scottish Cycling can't find any other riders to do the RR next year.

Grumping on here
    Dan
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    afx237vi wrote:

Grumping on here

If we all chip in we could buy him some Scottish themed kit and a one-way ticket to New Delhi :wink:

JUST KIDDING GUBSTER. I love him really.
  • When the 2002 Commonwealth Games were in Manchester (and Millar was able to compete) he chose to do a lucrative invitation 2-up TT in Germany instead.
  • Andy_wrx,
    I stand corrected. Still, it's probably the right decision to let him ride.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    He has done a lot more than any other rider to repent for his "misdemenour" and he gets my respect for that. At a time when the big names in the sport are still refusing to speak out against doping, except in some lilly-livered comments, I think Millar deserves to be commended and I'm glad that he's been given the opportunity to ride for his country again.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,861
    ynyswen24 wrote:

this current appeal is not of his making?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    afx237vi wrote:

RIP Jason McIntyre

I think it's the time trial Millar will target.
  • Garry H wrote:
    He has done a lot more than any other rider to repent for his "misdemenour" and he gets my respect for that. At a time when the big names in the sport are still refusing to speak out against doping, except in some lilly-livered comments, I think Millar deserves to be commended and I'm glad that he's been given the opportunity to ride for his country again.

This. A lot of very self righteous idiots on here. People make mistakes
  • There was an interview with Millar on 5-live Breakfast this morning.

It can be found here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0070htg; today's episode at about 2:26 in.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Don't confuse and trivialise the issue, taking PEDs is not a mistake - it is a deliberate and concious act of cheating.

The worst thing the authorities can do is allow Millar to race for a national team. It sets a perception, that after being caught of deliberate drug use, an athlerte can have a certain degree of public shame removed and subsequent forgiveness. It should not be the case, no matter the degree of later atonement, that this drug shame be minimised.

I don't particularly like him or his often pious comments (when being critical of other drug cheats) so I hope he bloody punctures in the first 5Km of the TT. :twisted:
  • moray_gub
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    Don't confuse and trivialise the issue, taking PEDs is not a mistake - it is a deliberate and concious act of cheating.

The worst thing the authorities can do is allow Millar to race for a national team. It sets a perception, that after being caught of deliberate drug use, an athlerte can have a certain degree of public shame removed and subsequent forgiveness. It should not be the case, no matter the degree of later atonement, that this drug shame be minimised.

I don't particularly like him or his often pious comments (when being critical of other drug cheats) so I hope he bloody punctures in the first 5Km of the TT. :twisted:

Way OTT he has not killed or maimed anyone he cheated at sport got caught got punished did his time and he has moved on. Too much is made of his WADA work etc thats not factor for me he served his punishment he should be available for selection.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    OTT (in your opinion of course)....but one other point. To wear the national jersey should be seen as an honour and a pinnacle of achievement. Anyone with PED offences against their name are clearly not worthy characters to pay the proper respect and honour of wearing the national jersey.

Nothing to do with 'having served his punishment' and all to do with 'doing the right thing' by ensuring that national representation remains a privilege.
  • Slapshot
    Slapshot Posts: 211
    Any commonwealth games/olympic games precedents were set in the UK by UK athletics and the o'horror woman, if she can break the rules and get why not any one else.... DM domes not set a precedent.

he's done his time
  • moray_gub
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    OTT (in your opinion of course)....but one other point. To wear the national jersey should be seen as an honour and a pinnacle of achievement. Anyone with PED offences against their name are clearly not worthy characters to pay the proper respect and honour of wearing the national jersey.

Nothing to do with 'having served his punishment' and all to do with 'doing the right thing' by ensuring that national representation remains a privilege.

You are over playing the importance of wearing the national jersey is way way way down the list of honours for a pro cyclist in fact it barely registers for most. For the top riders it a means to an end ie winning the world champs but there are far more greater honours and incentives for them to be had than wearing the jersy for 6 hours round a 10 circuit loop. I always get laugh at folks who decide based on cheating at sport who is a worthy character and who is not .
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    I don't have a problem with him returning to the professional peleton. Them's the rules and he's served his ban and seem genuinely sorry and regrets what he's done. That said, to suggest he simply 'made a mistake' is incorrect. To gain an advantage through doping practices requires a conscious informed decision, meticulous planning and deceipt.

What I do have an issue with is him representing Team GB. And I don't just mean in Commonwealth/Olympics - I don't think he should be selected for the World Champs either.

My view (FWIW) is that to represent GB, riders must be beyond reproach when it comes to doping. Simple as that. No restriction on trade. No disproportionate ban. It's purely an ethical/principals thing and sends out a clear message to all would-be dopers in GB.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    To wear the national jersey should be seen as an honour and a pinnacle of achievement. Anyone with PED offences against their name are clearly not worthy characters to pay the proper respect and honour of wearing the national jersey.

Yes, but this idea of no dopers ever being allowed to represent their country again is a BOA thing (I see you're Australian - do AOA have the same rule too ?)

But there are lots of other countries who don't do this - there, any doper who's served their time, anyone who can protest enough, anyone who's likely to win a medal, all these people are welcome to represent these other countries.

As far as the IOC is concerned, you get caught and banned for your two years or whatever, then you can come back.