Training Plan

milese
milese Posts: 1,233
Sorry if this is a bit of a tedious post that comes up all the time, but I thought some input would help.

Basically I'm after some help with a training routine.

Me - I'm 26, a bit overweight (12 stone 10lbs, 5' 8", bmi ~27), but have lost over half a stone in the last few months. I started cycling in 2007, completed the 100 mile Dartmoor classic in 7 hours 40 and got around the 70 mile North Cornwall Tor.

What I want - to get as cycling fit as I can. I want to do a couple of Sportives in better times, and I like the idea of a bit of road racing, but understand that is a long way in fitness terms away. I want to get my weight down, for both myself and cycling performance.

Current exercise - I cycle a 14 mile round trip to work 3/4 times a week. Once a week I try to beat my record time in, which is the uphill leg. I've knocked over a minute off the record recently, down to 23.48 for 7 miles of mostly uphill through traffic.

I try to get out on the weekends solo, and get 40/50 fairly hilly miles in. Average about 15 mph.

Play football in a 5 a side league on a Monday, and for an hour after work on a Tuesday.

My plan - To continue to try and work on pace and cycle to work, and extend route slightly. To get out with a local group for their 30 mile ride on a Thursday, and maybe join them for the weekend run rather than going solo.

With the football I can only really add one decent session during the week.

Any advice or thoughts on the best use of my time, and the approach I should take would be appreciated.

Also, I like to quantify results (no prizes for guessing my profession). Any tips on monitoring progress appreciated!

Comments