can i get road race fit starting from january?

bigricky
bigricky Posts: 92
Hi All,

im just getting back into the bike world, looking to do some racing next year, possibly handicap races and some time trials. is it to late to start base training from january? benn doing the odd club run since october, but with the bad weather and work commitments cantget out every sunday, but i have been out on my own once a week for about 30/40 miles once a week when weather ok !

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Unless you are an exceptionally gifted athlete, going out once a week for 30/40 miles isn't going to get you fit. Period. And race fit? Not a chance.

However - if you start training on a daily basis come January, then you could be race fit for next summer.

If you just want to turn up and do some club 10's, etc - then you'll be fine. But if you want to be competitive, you'll need to put a little but more effort in. But I think a lot of folks will be starting their full training in January so you could do it too.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Depends how you train.
    8 weeks training can enough to get race fit, 12 at most.
    Unless you plan to ride the TDF :D
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Its worth a go.

This time last year I was coming off the back of 2 months where I managed no more than 250 miles a month. In January I started putting out some decent miles and then in Feb & March I started doing some sprint sessions and then joined a club and started doing chaingangs. By the beginning of May I had won my first race.

A couple of things to note though. Although Nov & Dec 2008 were low mileage for me, I had spent the rest of the year (and the previous 5 or 6 years) knocking out some long rides, so I reckon I had a pretty good base to begin with. Second point was that by July I think I was spent. I had raced well through April, May & June, done the Marmotte in July and then barely had a top ten finish for the rest of the season, so perhaps I had set myself up with a short fuse.

Thing is, I wouldn't worry. If you haven't raced before then start doing some miles, join a club and start some speed work in Feb, March. Go out and race when the season starts and put it down to experience. Everyone has to start somewhere, you will learn as you go.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Tried the same thing last year. I managed some races, just didn't do that well in them, I got a right kicking in the first couple. It's very, very difficult to replicate racing without being in a race, you push yourself much harder in order to avoid coming last. It's also easier to train for racing if you've already done some.

Just try it, worst thing that can happen is that you'll come last, or DNF, but you'll be better prepared for the following season. Also, it's huge fun, which is reason enough alone.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    It's doable, many people only start "training" in january anyway.

It's a long season, get as fit as you can by march and do as many races as you can.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    I didn't really train at all last year, ended up club handicap champion! Go figure
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    a_n_t wrote:
    I didn't really train at all last year, ended up club handicap champion! Go figure

were you the only one that entered :)
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    a_n_t wrote:

• bigricky wrote:
    Hi All,

im just getting back into the bike world, looking to do some racing next year, possibly handicap races and some time trials. is it to late to start base training from january? benn doing the odd club run since october, but with the bad weather and work commitments cantget out every sunday, but i have been out on my own once a week for about 30/40 miles once a week when weather ok !
    it's best to start training as soon as you can. In fact it's best to not stop training at all.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    matthew h wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:

just gifted I reckon :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • It does depend on how fit you are before you start training and also the races your thinking of doing.
    I will be doing the track league at herne hill in 2010 and mixing it with some surrey league road race events and maybe some LVRC events.
    I haven't done any training for 3 months due to work and other stuff gettingin the way.
    So I am VERY unfit at the moment, but I have been in this position before. What I do is this.

3 six week blocks

1- 6 week of riding every other day increasing the distance untill I can ride 90 miles on a sunday easily. Do early cyclosportives like the Hell of Ashdown or the Burgess Hill Springtime Classic http://www.srs-events.cc
    I also keep a very keen eye on what I am eating. I also do 3 weight training sessions a week.
    1st week would look like this

Sunday 50
    Monday weights Core, shoulders and chest
    Tuesday 30
    Wednesday weights Legs & arms
    Thursday 30
    Friday weights Back and core
    Saturday 30 miles

6th week aim

Sunday 90 miles
    Monday weights
    Tuesday 30 miles
    Wednesday weights
    Thursday 60 miles
    Friday weights
    Saturday 30 miles

6-12 Reduce rides to a maximum of 40 miles but try to keep the speed high and no stopping carry on with the weights 3 times a week. (maybe do some races if they are flat)

Sunday 40 miles
    Monday 40 miles
    Tuesday weights
    Wednesday 40 miles
    Thursday weights.
    Friday 40 miles
    Saturday weights

12-18 start racing pick easy races to start with to get in the swing of it
    Weights 2 sessions a week concentrating on core strength and flexability.
    In this block its about holding back and not over doing it just testing out the piston under racing conditions.

Sunday Race
    Monday Track
    Tuesday Weights
    Wednesday Track
    Thursday weights
    Friday 20 mile recovery ride
    Saturday 20 mile recovery ride

So in a nutshell

Weight sessions are no longer that 1 hours concentrating on different body parts at each session to allow full recovery.

Ride every other day if weather is bad replace ride with a 1 hour turbo training session.

I believe weight loss is calories in calories if the weight is an issue weighing food has to be done to count the calories -- after a while you get to the point that you know roughly how much calories are in a certain about of food just by looking at it.
    From my experience weight loss can only be really achieved by exercise and reduced calories. I try to keep my calorie intake to around 1800 calories until my weight gets to its target weight.

Start on the 1st of Januray you will be flying by mid MAY, saying that you have to be pretty determined if your going to cycle every other day.
    Oh and take your pulse every morning to check that your not over training.
    If you get too tired, cut the effort on the bike but keep the gym work up.

You have to listen to your body.
    Thats sort of what I do and it works for me

Oh and training is best done in the morning so that other things don't stop you from training that day. I tend to do all of this training before work if possible.
    I have been know to get up at 5am to do this --- and thats not as mad as it sounds as long as you get to bed easy (Road are quiet where I live at 5am)
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Race yourself race fit
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    a_n_t wrote:

He does post on these forums! 8)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960

Thursday 60 miles

Monday 40 miles

Wednesday 40 miles

Friday 40 miles

Oh and training is best done in the morning so that other things don't stop you from training that day. I tend to do all of this training before work if possible.

Ermm.... It may work for you - but that's an AWFUL lot of training to do BEFORE work!

Having to get up at 5:00AM to train every day is the thing that would stop me from training every day! :oops:

That, and I'd be absolutely shattered if I had to go to work all day after doing 60 miles on the bike.
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    It does depend on how fit you are before you start training and also the races your thinking of doing.
    I will be doing the track league at herne hill in 2010 and mixing it with some surrey league road race events and maybe some LVRC events.
    I haven't done any training for 3 months due to work and other stuff gettingin the way.
    So I am VERY unfit at the moment, but I have been in this position before. What I do is this.

3 six week blocks

1- 6 week of riding every other day increasing the distance untill I can ride 90 miles on a sunday easily. Do early cyclosportives like the Hell of Ashdown or the Burgess Hill Springtime Classic http://www.srs-events.cc
    I also keep a very keen eye on what I am eating. I also do 3 weight training sessions a week.
    1st week would look like this

Sunday 50
    Monday weights Core, shoulders and chest
    Tuesday 30
    Wednesday weights Legs & arms
    Thursday 30
    Friday weights Back and core
    Saturday 30 miles

6th week aim

Sunday 90 miles
    Monday weights
    Tuesday 30 miles
    Wednesday weights
    Thursday 60 miles
    Friday weights
    Saturday 30 miles

6-12 Reduce rides to a maximum of 40 miles but try to keep the speed high and no stopping carry on with the weights 3 times a week. (maybe do some races if they are flat)

Sunday 40 miles
    Monday 40 miles
    Tuesday weights
    Wednesday 40 miles
    Thursday weights.
    Friday 40 miles
    Saturday weights

Weights 2 sessions a week concentrating on core strength and flexability.
    In this block its about holding back and not over doing it just testing out the piston under racing conditions.

Sunday Race
    Monday Track
    Tuesday Weights
    Wednesday Track
    Thursday weights
    Friday 20 mile recovery ride
    Saturday 20 mile recovery ride

So in a nutshell

Weight sessions are no longer that 1 hours concentrating on different body parts at each session to allow full recovery.

Ride every other day if weather is bad replace ride with a 1 hour turbo training session.

I believe weight loss is calories in calories if the weight is an issue weighing food has to be done to count the calories -- after a while you get to the point that you know roughly how much calories are in a certain about of food just by looking at it.
    From my experience weight loss can only be really achieved by exercise and reduced calories. I try to keep my calorie intake to around 1800 calories until my weight gets to its target weight.

Start on the 1st of Januray you will be flying by mid MAY, saying that you have to be pretty determined if your going to cycle every other day.
    Oh and take your pulse every morning to check that your not over training.
    If you get too tired, cut the effort on the bike but keep the gym work up.

You have to listen to your body.
    Thats sort of what I do and it works for me

I have been know to get up at 5am to do this --- and thats not as mad as it sounds as long as you get to bed easy (Road are quiet where I live at 5am)

this is a wind up right?
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513

These 'easy' races sound great - where can I find them..??
  • LJAR
    LJAR Posts: 128
    1. buy the cyclists training bible

2. read it

3. do what it says

4. enjoy your season

Seriously it will help you to structure your season intelligently and make the most of limited training time.