Yoga

cluke92
cluke92 Posts: 29
I have been considering joining a few yoga classes at my local sports centre, but have also thought of just getting a yoga DVD to do at home.

I know that with a class you have an instructor that can guide you, but are there any decent DVDs that are easy to follow and tailored towards cycling??? And is it going to be more benificial going to the classes?

Carl

Comments

• Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Any post-ride stretching is good. Having done Martial Arts for years the stretching exercises are generally based on Yoga. The "Works" shops do cheap compilation DVD's for about a tenner, with fitness, core stability and Yoga too.
    Bought some for the Mrs last Christmas, but use them for me!
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    UPDATE; Just found out that Trudie Tyler, Stings Mrs, has some new DVD's out on Yoga.
    Ok, Stings not everyone's cup of tea, but his Mrs is in great shape for 54!
    Must be doing something right.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    It's probably best to start off going to some classes and trying it out as with a video you can always copy but sometimes won't be getting it exactally right, and if you speak to the instructor they might be able to adivse you more on what type of moves are best for you.

I did see a dvd called yoga for sports or something like that whilst in Tesco a month or so ago, didn't pay much attention at the time but it might be worth looking it up on google.
  • nanox
    nanox Posts: 15
    Yeah you should definitely go to a class first. I bought dvd's and books, but never really figured it out until I signed up for a class. It is really tricky, and just when you think you've got the position right, think again...
  • yes you need to do some classes with someone who knows what they are talking about = also you need to make sure it' the right sort of Yoga class for you.

Once you have the basics and know that you are doing the exercises correctly then they are probably best done at home
    as a way of meditation and getting in touch with your body.
    Most Cyclist would improve their speed on the bike if they took up Yoga I believe. if you read Lance Armstrongs twitter ..... you will note that he has been know to do Yoga himself.

Also Rudi Altig was big on yoga as are many pro cyclist. A google search might help
  • amoli
    amoli Posts: 1
    The course is designed to initiate students onto the path of yoga and prepare one to teach others. The program offers a strong foundation in asana, concentrating on alignment, vinyasa (flow,) strength, and breath. Emphasis is placed on the development of one’s personal practice, as well as, teaching methodology and its practical application. Classical yogic philosophy is interwoven throughout the program, drawing on Vedantic and Tantric beliefs. Students receive a thorough education in Anatomy and Physiology as it pertains to a yoga practice.The program also includes daily yogic chanting andmeditation. yoga teacher training course
  • Moaner
    Moaner Posts: 117
    amoli wrote:
    The course is designed to initiate students onto the path of yoga and prepare one to teach others. The program offers a strong foundation in asana, concentrating on alignment, vinyasa (flow,) strength, and breath. Emphasis is placed on the development of one’s personal practice, as well as, teaching methodology and its practical application. Classical yogic philosophy is interwoven throughout the program, drawing on Vedantic and Tantric beliefs. Students receive a thorough education in Anatomy and Physiology as it pertains to a yoga practice.The program also includes daily yogic chanting andmeditation. yoga teacher training course
    Sounds ideal for someone who wants to learn how to do a few exercises (not) :roll:
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    You've posted this question here in the training section so I assume you're interested in using Yoga to somehow help your cycling. Stretching will really help you stay comfortable for longer on the bike but it's something you have to do regularly.

The past couple of weeks i've been talking to a friend who is a proper Yoga instructor and runs a class at the local gym - from what she's been saying to me, I now understand that only a small percentage of it will be beneficial in some way. Loads of it will be totally irrelevant because there's a whole load of it which is supposed to be more about theraputic poses and meditation as opposed to a physical challenge.

Yoga teaches you about which parts of your body are weak though - which will be of help. For example, i've been trying a back-bending stretch where you literally bend over backwards :shock: but am getting compression in the lower back which tells me I need to stretch my hip flexors more. In turn, when doing Yoga stretches which stress the hip flexors, it makes me more aware of how tight my core muscles are from riding the bike. This process continues on and on and on... I guess if you can do any Yoga pose easily, it means your flexibility and strength is very balanced and there are no imperfections in any of your muscles in relation to each other. I've learned that having strong muscles for cycling is not the full picture - flexibility/strength of the supporting muscles will increase your ability to put power through the bike even more and stop energy being wasted. Stretching is a big part of that.
  • Bill D
    Bill D Posts: 62
    I'd say you definitely need a class, with a good teacher who believes in pushing you. You can't possibly assess for yourself if you are doing it right: whereas the teacher will know how to hurt you just the right amount so you get stronger and more flexible without doing yourself serious mischief. When you have got the basics and some good cardiovascular fitness then I'd suggest trying ashtanga yoga sessions if you can find a suitable class. Good luck.
  • Moaner
    Moaner Posts: 117
    I'd suggest you think about pilates instead. You get all the stretching plus big focus on core strength - that's totally relevant to cycling.