Can someone explain 'the club run'?

chrisw12
chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
After looking at the other post, I really don't get it. What's the purpose of road riding with more than say 4 people?

It p. drivers off. Whether you ride in single file or in pairs it's still a pain to get around.
It's NOT sociable, going to a nice warm place with seats (aka pub) is sociable.
It serves absolutely no training benefit at all. Club runs are either too slow or too fast.

So can someone explain the 'club run'?

Comments

• You all like cycling, you all ride for the same club, you get on with at least 25% of those present... Doesnt't have to be training, it#s fun. The slower ones get a good tow along, you all get a fun cafe stop and you still get to sprint for road signs etc (providing you sit up and wait afterwards)

Whats not to like?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • chrisw12
    Thing is, I get on with 100% of the people in my club the three of them are great guys and we'll have a Christmas pint together tomorrow, but we never ride together. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. :wink:
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Merry Christmas Chris :)

Stop using this place and stick this topic on the WCA forum, it need it :(
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • chrisw12
    Lazarus wrote:
    Merry Christmas Chris :)

Stop using this place and stick this topic on the WCA forum, it need it :(

Too scared to use the wca forum, you get talked about at THE CAFE. :)

Anyway I'm off on the Rhondda alternative club run. 20 of us mountain biking, on trails that take 5 people riding side by side and NO traffic. Then a few pints and nice down hill 'walk'. Now that's what I call sociable. :wink:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Club run? Just an excuse to show off to everyone in the club how much better my bike is than theirs.
  • Never got the cafe stop bit. Why stop just long enough for your legs to cool off, then start up again with a full stomach?

I've never enjoyed starting off again after a break. I'd rather ride for a few hours, then veg on the sofa for the rest of the day eating as much cake as I can get inside me.

Matt
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Never got the cafe stop bit. Why stop just long enough for your legs to cool off, then start up again with a full stomach?

I've never enjoyed starting off again after a break. I'd rather ride for a few hours, then veg on the sofa for the rest of the day eating as much cake as I can get inside me.

Matt

+1

I hate the cafe stop bit. Just breaks the rhythm and I lose all motivation afterwards. And I don't usually actually even eat at the stop!
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Never got the cafe stop bit. Why stop just long enough for your legs to cool off, then start up again with a full stomach?

Matt

+1

I hate the cafe stop bit. Just breaks the rhythm and I lose all motivation afterwards. And I don't usually actually even eat at the stop!

A stop at the end is goofd. When you've tried to smash each other for 80 miles it's nice to have a coffee and a chat eventually. And tell heroic stories of who dropped who etc :lol:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    chrisw12 wrote:
    So can someone explain the 'club run'?
    Unless you're an unsociable fat tester, what's not to like about a club run?

It might not be great fitness training but you do learn basic bunch skills.

Without club runs there are no clubs, without clubs there is no sport.
  • Chris, club run 101.

Whether you're out as 4 or 20 riders you can chat away, organize things and challenge your mates to get to the top of the next hill 1st. cycling wise I defy anyone to say that 3-5 hours in a club run isn't worth riding. if it's "too slow" you've got base training. "Too fast" you've got TT high intensity ride and you can hide in the pack. Job done.

The cake stop is good on a long run out. Even if all you do is have a coffee. I don't care if everyones bikes are 'better' than mine. I'm a shorty so they're all crap because they're all too big.

THe Sunday club run is supposed to ride at the speed of the slowest rider.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Infamous wrote:
    Unless you're an unsociable fat tester,

Lucky i wasn't at the cafe stop reading that one , would have sprayed my coffee all over the place :wink::)
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    It's a fun/social thing, not training. In winter I often do the first half with the club and then carry on alone after everyone else has stopped at the cafe. Helps take a little of the boredom out of long winter endurance rides.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Infamous wrote:
    Unless you're an unsociable fat tester, what's not to like about a club run?

It might not be great fitness training but you do learn basic bunch skills.

Without club runs there are no clubs, without clubs there is no sport.
    +1, especially the last line.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I only get to go out on about 5 or 6 a year due to shifts :(

I really enjoy them when I go, especially the ones when there are about 30 of us in summer...
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    I'm not a good runner, so I tend to go on club rides instead. :wink:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Bhima wrote:
    I'm not a good runner, so I tend to go on club rides instead. :wink:

How many club rides you been on?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Lost count. Why?

Not been out with any clubs in the last month though. I've fallen back into my old sleep patterns and working late nights. :oops:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Bhima wrote:
    Lost count. Why?

Not been out with any clubs in the last month though. I've fallen back into my old sleep patterns and working late nights. :oops:

Real club runs I mean.

I thought you were joining Manchester Wheelers?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr