My ride in the snow

muddylegs
muddylegs Posts: 485
edited December 2009 in MTB general
Here are some pictures of my ride today we had a good covering of snow. Went out for about 2 hours been feeling rough so did not want to go out for to long.
Had fun all the same, tyres worked well fat tyre up front thinner one on the back both running at 40 psi. It is easier to ride on virgin snow as apposed to ridding on the stuff that has had a lot of feet and other traffic on it.

http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv10 ... mview=grid[/url]

Comments

• Great pics! And an added bonus, no need to clean the bike afterwards!
  • Thanks. Taken with my mobile phone.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Only Reaction riders were man enough to go out today it seems :)
  • its great in the snow. I had a quick tour in the dark on my way home. So no its not just Reaction riders who are brave. I do own a Cube so maybe thats the connection.

Great pics, shame I am working ttil 7pm sunday. roll on monday.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • Eranu
    its great in the snow. I had a quick tour in the dark on my way home. So no its not just Reaction riders who are brave. I do own a Cube so maybe thats the connection.

Pics or it didn't happen ;)

I was only jesting as the only pics from todays snow, that I have seen, are from myself and muddylegs. I'm sure 100's of other guys have been out too. Maybe ti's Reaction riders are the only ones sad enough to take a camera...
  • I think everybody else was at work. Where we should have been.
  • Eranu
    I was at work :) I was working from home and went for a ride for 'inspiration' :P
  • In that case so was I. I spent most of my ride on my reserve.
  • I tried to go out for a ride today.
    Everything was telling me not to - my zip broke on my overshoe as an example.

Went out and didnt even get to the bottom of my road. I went round my first bend (which is 90 degrees) and needless to say i went straight over on my side.

Are people really going out when it is as icy as it is?

I go out in anything but im cutting my losses!
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
    08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    diddyfunk wrote:
    Went out and didnt even get to the bottom of my road. I went round my first bend (which is 90 degrees) and needless to say i went straight over on my side.

Are people really going out when it is as icy as it is?

I too ended up on my side today thanks to icy tarmac. Wish it would just snow here so I'll have a soft landing next time :)
  • The snow was fun but the sneaky patches of ice were less so. Never mind good to be out and not having to wash the bike.

Snowing heavily now - I wonder if I can get a pass to play out again tomorrow?
    Nearly there, just over this hill and round the next corner...

2005 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    1st snow ride for me today, loved it :) Feet are still thawing though and I had wool socks, thermal sealskins, Shimano shoes and Tenn overshoes...looks like I might have to ask Santa for some winter boots too :)
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Went out today for a little ride, the only near incident I had was a back wheel that slid out and nearly hit one of the other guys bikes but I just managed to miss him! It was much easier on the off road sections than the road
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    i was a little scared when my back wheel started to catch up with my front on a tarmac climb
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Snow covered ice on a steep decent "keeps it real" sliding along on ones elbow, hip and face for 5 metres on said ice "keeps it painfull" And whats the deal with compacted snow/ice/mud in your cleats? A right pain in the arse! :x
    Lapierre Zesty 514 The "other woman"
  • Been out this morning, what a larf. Frozen rutted mud and frozen toes 8) .
  • Been out a lot of the day on bike. A lot more effort than normal riding.. but i love it so much more. Its so much fun lol
    2009 Genesis core 00
  • andituk
    andituk Posts: 122
    I had a quick ride before, was great fun and amazingly grippy.

Was great until the hail, sleet, and driving rain started :(
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    The Mrs and I had to swap the SPD shoes for walking boots on Sunday morning.

The hills behind us were covered in snow so the night before we decided to head up on the bikes the next morning. We live on quite a steep hill and when we got out there it was deadly, it must have rained in the night and froze hard. Even pushing the bike on the hill it was sliding all over the place and the SPD shoes just wouldnt get a grip. There was no way we were riding up the hill and I think the only way to go down was on your ass holding onto your bike!

We went up for a walk in the snow because i wanted to check out a bit of new trail, just as well because the 15 min climb we had to ride was like glass all the way up :cry:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • muddylegs
    muddylegs Posts: 485
    edited December 2009
    I have to say I was very impressed with my egg beaters they did'nt ice up or anything during that ride, which is more than I can say for my feet. The snow was spraying off the front tyre and sitting on my shoes where it slowly soaked though.
  • Had a great ride in the snow yesterday.Its certainly a new way of honing your skills.

Managed to stay upright all the way round a 20 mile ride until 1 mile from home when I slid off on a road stretch........ :oops:

Had the spd icing up problem too.but not surprising given that it was -5 when we started and the depth of snow in some places was like this!

DSCF0722.jpg[url][/url]
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Great to read about folks getting out on their bikes. Inspirational.
  • Well done to those who got out! Unfotunately my bike is broken :cry: and we didnt have much snow here anyway :( but im hoping for some, fingers crossed :wink:
  • I had a fantastic 12 miles off road this morning.

Find your local 18 hole golf course it'll be deserted and there will be a fantastic hard packed gravel track between holes for the electric buggies.

Crisp, virgin snow, my bike and me, fantastic.

Can't wait for the 6am off road commute tomorrow morning.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Bugger, wish I'd joined you now MLegs - looks like fun.

Really had to work though :cry:
  • Glad I went out when I did, it has now started raining. :(:(:(:(
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Had a good one today, started out well...

P1000251.jpg

but got a bit deep and drifty...

P1000260.jpg

Then a bit driftier...

P1000261.jpg

My camera stopped working after that from the cold, managed to get some great riding in though, finally slithered home a bit late...

PICT1008.jpg
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Had a 6.30am commute on Friday, my first ever ride in deep snow. Was a fun and scary experience, only managed to slide off once going down a rather steep hill.

The ride home later was surprisingly hard as I chose an up hill bridle path route so I could avoid the cars and their idiot drivers!

Went for first 'proper' ride earlier on this evening through local woods, was great fun but bloody hard work, even having to peddle hard go down hill! There was deep snow, slush, mud, icy puddles and frozen ruts and ridges which behaved like wet roots. A great workout and I'm sure I've picked up a few new skills but all in all I much prefer the mud! :lol:
    Trek Top Fuel 9 2010, Stumpy Pro 2009 ,Giant XTC3 2009, Qu-ax Penny Farthing,
    Elswick Hopper Model M delivery Bike 1960

God Shave The Queen!
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    lol went to clean my bike this morning but obviously the garden hose is frozen. I had to resort to flooding the kitchen floor. still didn't ride though (couldn't be bothered to change tyres)
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!