What stops you spending time (and money) Cycling?

spongtastic
spongtastic Posts: 2,651
edited December 2009 in MTB general
For me it's work, as I'm in work at 8.00 and don't usually leave until 6.00 and the wife who proudly announces that a great bargain's been found whilst out with the mother in law or that so nobody's left out we've had to buy the brother in laws girlfriend of 2 months a really expensive christmas present. :cry:

It's now nearly a year that I've had to delay my inbred build because every time I think I've got the time and money it's spent and something come up at work :evil:

even worse is that I've built bikes for other people that I's love to own :cry:
Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?

Comments

• I literally don't have any more money, pretty much every spare chunk i earn goes into cycling stuff.

Work and coaching rowing stop me from cycling more, not that i don't get a fair chunk done!
  • leon69
    leon69 Posts: 53
    bad year for money (no over time ) but to make a menz i have a long list of stuff i want :P

biking ....well thats down to dark nights sun's down at 4.00pm and i,ll be damed if am spending 100,s on lights
    Satadays spent mostly with my son's rugby ( hes 13 so am taxi for him and harf the team got a 8 seater )
    sundays wife has desided thats our new shoping day for food etc :shock:

So am pritty mutch screwd untill the lighter nights

How ever i do intend on aleast getting out on my HT every morning of my 2 weeks off for x-mas before she who must be obayed even gets up :D
    (see how that gose :? )
    If you dont bleed your not trying ...
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    leon- have you considered a magic shine light? under a ton, 900 lumens, can't fault mine and its great fun
    spongtastic - i work shifts so can be pretty knackered after a night, although we sometimes make it to llandegla or the peak district after knocking off. the upshot of the shifts is i get a fair bit of time off, which is nice
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    yep leon, magicshine from hongkong if you can stand a 2 month wait, or a the english version for £80 delivered.

If not a couple of 501b's or a P7 will let you ride in the night. Stuff paying £200 for a hope light that's not as good.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • I think this says it all !
    Sadly, there are those who - bizarrely - think that there are other things in the world that approach the importance of cycling. These people are often called "family members," and for reasons that have never been made clear to me they believe they have some sort of claim on your time.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Work mainly, increasingly stupid workmates who can't think for themselves and elderly parents who need constant supervision...:shock:

Out of the house at 6 and back at 6, generally in a foul mood and just wanting to relax and kick the cat for a bit.

Definitely a weekend warrior during the winter, but try to get out every day during holidays.

Nothing stops me spending money though. I've just discovered photography too - and you thought mountain biking was expensive!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Surfing, baby boy, running, all sorts really - don't exactly feel hard done by though.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,097
    Work (out from 7 till 7 & some sat mornings), two toddlers and a massive mortgage. But like sirfmatt I still get out a reasonable amount. It's about making time for yourself, manage to get out for circa 4 hours a week.

Want more though, so putting turbo trainer in one of the spare rooms.

Re: photography, yes it's bloody expensive!
  • m_cozzy
    m_cozzy Posts: 132
    Just work. Fortunate to have plenty of cash. I think the lack of wife & children helps massively here :D
    Banned from singletrack forum again :-)
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    School and i can't get a proper job yet :( tried to get a paper round but am still on the waiting list. :x :evil: also i don't have decent lights and my parents don't like me going on my own but my riding friends live about 5 miles away on busy roads so i would have to get my parents to drive me. So it's just the weekends, and usualy only saturday, and on a bike that cost less than most of your guys forks :x :evil:
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    back at uni, so I expected it to go from- 'enough money, no time', to 'loads of time, no money'. however, as it's masters year, I have some money saved and no free time to spend it thanks to coursework, it's still 'no time'

although tomorrow it'll be because I've gone sledging!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    A small child :)
  • Penylope
    Penylope Posts: 320
    Work and family comitments take up a lot of my time. Oh, and our puppy is a PITA, what with needing to be walked and everything :)

But the main thing stopping me going out on my bike at the mo is me, got a bad case of Can't Be Arsed at the moment :(
    MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
    Other, Genesis Croix De Fer
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I start work at 06:30 and finish at 18:30 and my office is an hour away in the morning and a little more on the way home!
    Home is where a pregnant wife (with hormones) a toddler a oversized dog all demand my time.
    Night riding is my saviour at the moment and 3 hours on a sunday is all i get.
    while at work, its too easy to have access to ebay/merlin/stif/CRC/wiggle etc.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i must be lucky, it's not the missuses or the child, or work that are stopping me,, it's me stopping me. i just struggle to find any motivation at the mo. more so the past month were it's just rained all the time..
    i have quite a stressfull job being a supervisor and having to think for brainless idiots all night drains you, as well as being out in the cold and wet for eight hours a night mon to fri.... kills any motivation i may of had....

working nights ruels out week day rides so it it's weekends, finshing at 630 sat morning and only geting home at 700am then trying to sleep with kids in the house watching tv at 10000000000000000000000000000db doesn't help....

i just need to go get another tin of man the foooook up.. and stop being a tart.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Work - and everything that goes with it. I can't really blame it on the family when they fill my CamelBak and get my bike out for me :)
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    At the moment, the weather!
  • Monday to Friday is a no-go for me, my ass is owned. If i'm home before 9pm I feel like i've had a quiet day.

Try to avoid working weekends, and fortunately my girlfriend is extremely tolerant of my hobbies :lol: So I tend to get out for a few hours on a Saturday/Sunday.
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    Stops me Cycling : Work
    Stops me spending money on cycling : Not enough work !
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • lack of money to fix my bike that is at home for the hols (as im a student)

student loans should be bigger!
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!
  • oh and free would be nice as well
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!
  • beany123
    beany123 Posts: 133
    pregnated wife!!!!!!!!!
    Giant Trance 1

Live to ride
  • work and family. I get about 13 hours in each week, but it could be so much more if I didn't have kids or a job. Think I'll stick with what I have though :)
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i physicly dont have more money to spend!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • what stops me spending money on the bike? ermmmmm.... probably my GF :lol:

always fiddling with bikes though :)
  • kernowaj
    kernowaj Posts: 198
    yep leon, magicshine from hongkong if you can stand a 2 month wait, or a the english version for £80 delivered.

If not a couple of 501b's or a P7 will let you ride in the night. Stuff paying £200 for a hope light that's not as good.

Ordered mine from BOB and it came in 1 week. 900 lumens £50. Took it out last night and it was more than up to the job. My riding time per week should double now.

Apart from that I get stopped from going out, if the surfs good, Im at work or I feel like I shoud show the missus and baby some attention.
  • work and family lucky if i have been out a dozen times this year not a happy man :( going to make more time in 2010
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Bad back and a wonky knee that do not like the cold and damp. In winter I can only ride every third day takes me 2 days to recover.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • School holidays stops me getting out, although i just tel the ex that it will be slightly later and get up earlier (we share my boy). Work a great shift pattern so only manage to get out on a weekend about 3 times a year. usually manage to get out 3/4 times a week on lovely quiet trails. busy today tho?

Money isnt an issue if i need it badly i rob from the bike i am not using. That makes me frugal or tight?

Wind. I hate it, learning to just mtfu but still....

Hangovers. They tend to delay more than stop.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    The only thing that stops me spending time and money on my bike is:

loosing my wallet
    Loosing the keys to the cellar
    Not really active