I crashed at the weekend

warrior4life
warrior4life Posts: 925
I was only going around 10mph, my front wheel went out on a corner and my left hip took all the impact, i have gravel rash but more serious ive bruised to bone.. Anyone else had this happen? Im in alot of pain, just wondered how long before i should get back on the bike or even if i should just ride through the pain?? :?

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Surprised you're even asking, given your nom de plume. Suggest you change it immediately :lol:
  • My name is a tribute to the greatest professional wrestler of all time... The Ultimate Warrior... It will never change! :evil:
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    No reason for it to stop you riding. In fact I find getting back on immediately prevents me from ever getting worried about riding.

Unless pain physically prevents you from moving your legs, keep riding!
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    I fell off 3 weeks ago, a similar injury to you in that I badly bruised my hip, knee and sprained wrist as well as road rash. I have only just managed my first "proper" turbo session so hope to be back on my bike this weekend weather permitting. I came off on ice and it really hurt so am now going to stick to my turbo if there is any chance of ice even though the turbo sessions are mindnumbingly boring.

I think your body will really tell you when its ready to cycle again and Good luck with the recovery
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,871
    Your body tells you! Three month after my recent crash an after a month of ridding my neck is bad again..... So I have got a brand new bike in the kitchen that hasn't been ridden :(
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,871
    Your body tells you! Three month after my recent crash an after a month of ridding my neck is bad again..... So I have got a brand new bike in the kitchen that hasn't been ridden :(
  • Ive woken up today and im feeling a little better, i havent had any time off the bike in year, im going back on tonight on the turbo, hopefully out for the club run sunday.

Crashing can really hurt
  • Similar to one I had 18 months ago,by the sounds of it. Chasing the 3 front runners down a wet descent in a race and slid off. Finished, felt ok on the bike but limping off it left me favouring one leg on the bike for months and was really painful when making a big effort due to bleeding in the joint starting to calcify.

Worth getting it looked at by a physio once the obvious bruising starts to fade.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Only you can tell really, if you can handle the pain and want to get some air do a little ride of 30 miles or whatever you normally call a short ride. After crashing and breaking a rib, Iwas back on the bike 2 weeks later.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I agree with the above comment - listen to your body. If it hurts, don't do it. I had a crash on the commute to work just over 3 weeks ago (wrote about it in commute). I hit a car, which turned across my path, at about 20-25mph. Apart from needing 6 stitches to my right shin, my left hip was very bruised. I was back on the bike almost 2 weeks later, but only commuting rather than club rides or anything longer. Hope to get back to club rides in a week or 2. My hip was very painful and I could barely walk but is still healing, although over 3 weeks later is still not completely better. GP and physio said it would take 4-6 weeks to completely fix itself. Reduce bruising with arnica - a natural homiopathic remedy which realy works well. It helps dissipate blood clotting and the brightly coloured bruising in the skin. If you have deeper bruising on the bone and in the muscles, use ibuprofen gel to reduce swelling and relax the muscles. My physio also told me to pack ice or frozen peas on the bruising for 10-15 mins per day.

After the bruising has gone down it's good to do some strengthening excersises in the side that was damaged. I have associated pains in other parts of my body like my back and hamstrings as my body compensates for the bruising and weakness in my left side but using my right side more heavily.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.