Shorts

2»

Comments

• When I got up this morning it was -2C outside according to the outdoor thermometer thingy yet as I took the bus in to work (company Christmas do later, it will be messy and there's no way I'm cycling home at 2am) I saw commuters in shorts!

These days I'm wearing 2 layers of tights and 2 of tops plus Endura jakcet. Thick wool socks and sometimes, overshoes, though I don't like them very much.

On Wednesday, I saw this guy in Canary Wharf wearing what you would call "hot pants", had they been worn by a woman! :shock:
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Yeah, I saw someone in shorts this morning.

Thought it was pretty silly at the time, but thinking back, it wouldn't have been too bad if you were just riding in London proper.

That said, if I only had 5 miles or so to do, I probably wouldn't bother with riding gear.
  • I was wearing 3/4 Humvees this morning, in what felt like -4C. :wink:

Oh, I was also wearing Aldi baselayer bottoms, two pairs of socks and a pair of tracksuit bottoms! :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Tights under my Baggies for the first time this winter/year.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    gert_lush wrote:
    I generally wear shorts as much as possible but in this temp it would be crazy, I put the long johns on about a month ago to try and save my knees if nothing else!

I also saw someone without gloves the other morning! I have big thick ones and my fingers are still numb every morning, dont know how people do it!

I've heard this about knees before, is there any evidence that this is the case, and what is the theory?

I'd have thought that knees would be kept warm by the GBFO arteries that carry blood to the calf muscles.

Fingers joints I can understand.

Anyway I tend to find that the worst is windchill on the nether regions. Last winter I wore a pair of shorts outside my tracksters for this reason. I recently got some montane featherlite pants for the (frequent) rain in the peak district, and they are pretty toasty because they stop the wind.
  • jimmypippa wrote:
    gert_lush wrote:
    I generally wear shorts as much as possible but in this temp it would be crazy, I put the long johns on about a month ago to try and save my knees if nothing else!

I also saw someone without gloves the other morning! I have big thick ones and my fingers are still numb every morning, dont know how people do it!

I've heard this about knees before, is there any evidence that this is the case, and what is the theory?

I'd have thought that knees would be kept warm by the GBFO arteries that carry blood to the calf muscles.

Fingers joints I can understand.

Anyway I tend to find that the worst is windchill on the nether regions. Last winter I wore a pair of shorts outside my tracksters for this reason. I recently got some montane featherlite pants for the (frequent) rain in the peak district, and they are pretty toasty because they stop the wind.

I've asked that a few weeks back didn't seem to any where, I have a feeling that if your knees have suffered that getting them cold is unwise.

like wise as long as I'm warm my knees don't mind. on the road bike it's hands and feet that I have to take care with. with the MTB is just feet mainly as they get icey cold water etc...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My hands are colder than my legs which are bare and my hands are in gloves over the last week or so of cold mornings.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I wear sailing gloves which are fingerless on thumb and index only and they were frozen. Wore normal lycra shorts and legs were fine.

Got a cold now though, though I suspect thats owes more to 3 hous at german market drinking beer that got colder by the minute
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • bd12mz
    bd12mz Posts: 79
    my winter cruisers arrived this morning - RM recorded delivered on Sunday?
    strange days....

anyways - looks like it's just in time cause tonite we have snow in Bristol at last.
    not 100% sure of cycling in - see how it looks in the morning.