Shorts

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
When I got up this morning it was -2C outside according to the outdoor thermometer thingy yet as I took the bus in to work (company Christmas do later, it will be messy and there's no way I'm cycling home at 2am) I saw commuters in shorts!

Now I can deal with the cold. I have the central set at about 16-17C at home, but cycling in shorts in these temperatures?! Are any of you wearing shorts at the moment?
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• Summer cannon shorts with 3/4 endura single tracks over... Only started to wear the 3/4 last week. Raised in edinburgh though...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • I generally wear shorts as much as possible but in this temp it would be crazy, I put the long johns on about a month ago to try and save my knees if nothing else!

I also saw someone without gloves the other morning! I have big thick ones and my fingers are still numb every morning, dont know how people do it!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I decided enough was enough, and put the longs today - was in shorts up until last night.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Still riding in Swrve 3/4s here, albeit with football socks. Removed them (the socks, not the trousers) when I got to work tho', and got some funny looks when I went out to get coffee in the 'snow'.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    My commuter mate is like this, its just a refusal to spend money on good cloths on his part. Needless to say he is 'working from home' today, saw -2 and bottled it.

Saying that, I wear Endura Humvee shorts, over full length dhb bib tights. :wink:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    3/4's calves were looking a little pink this morning

will wait to the new year for longs I suspect
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Do you mean that there are cycling garments other than shorts?

Bob
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    3/4's only yesterday, didn't ride this morning because of broken showers at the gym!

It's cold for the first 5 mins but fine once you get going.
  • Headhuunter
    I'm sure I could get used to it I just don't see the point in bothering! Warmer muscles work better than cold ones anyway.
  • I ride to work in work clothes, so trousers but no gloves not worth it yet.

On pleasure rides I wear gloves etc but tend to have shorts. I honestly don't mind the cold.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Yep seen a few round here still riding in shorts. I could probably get by, as long as my upper body is warm I don't really feel the cold in my legs, but... think of your knees!
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Double gloves this morning, for the first time this winter. Skull cap and buff too. Was toastie. Still wearing bib shorts + leg warmers, but will switch to bib + roubaix tights once it gets much colder.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Shorts? No chance. Not worn just shorts since the start of October. Thermal/fleece tights undr bib shorts for me now until March.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Shorts + leg warmers still OK for me. Wore a jacket over the usual baselayer & winter jersey combo earlier today and was approaching being too hot (one hour ride while it was snowing) Big thumbs up for Lusso skull cap thingie.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Only extra i wore today compared to what i wear in summer were some thicker gloves, thicker socks and a vest under my tshirt. Still wearing baggies
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Oddjob62 wrote:
    Only extra i wore today compared to what i wear in summer were some thicker gloves, thicker socks and a vest under my tshirt. Still wearing baggies

But to be fair you are really odd :D and can put away beer to shame an alcoholic - might have to see who lasts longest on Friday - you or cp :)
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Oddjob62 wrote:

But to be fair you are really odd :D and can put away beer to shame an alcoholic - might have to see who lasts longest on Friday - you or cp :)

Unfortunately it's my work xmas dinner this Friday so i will not be there :(
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Easy win for CP... :D
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    I'm beginning to think reading some threads here lately that either I live in some kind of sub-tropical bubble in the middle of England or this site is populated by a bunch of pansies. I'm still in the shorts and only broke out the fingerless gloves this morning...
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Yep still wearing shorts and probably will throughout winter as it's difficult finding anything longer in my size. I do now wear a pair of knee warmers however.
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    shorts over the tights, but I suppose this cheating. I don't want to get the girls too excited :wink:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    You have the thermostat in your house set to 16-17 brrrrrrr

never below 20 for me, ah! toasty, I even light the fire during the summer, mmmm fire!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Paulie W wrote:
    I'm beginning to think reading some threads here lately that either I live in some kind of sub-tropical bubble in the middle of England or this site is populated by a bunch of pansies. I'm still in the shorts and only broke out the fingerless gloves this morning...

nup...mostly its the nice folks south of the watford gap.

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    I'm not cycling early in the mornings at the moment due to being on leave until next month (enforced leave against my will I might add :evil: ), however even during the snow this year I was cycling in shorts and long sleeve jersey. For some reason I seem impervious to the cold, I've not yet had to resort to the bib tights I have on standby.
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • 3/4's and a long sleeve jersey over my windproof vest now.

The only place I feel the cold properly and like covered all the time is my fingers. it has to be really warm for me to go to fingerless or no gloves at all. I forgot them going out to a meeting one bitterly cold day last winter and the ride was bad but I was howling in pain as my fingers defrosted in the warm again.
  • bd12mz
    bd12mz Posts: 79
    am still in shorts but must admit it was pretty parky this morning.
    I have Altura Winter Cruiser Tights Cycling Trousers ordered.

I find I get pretty hot when cycling about.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Saw a few runners out last night in shorts, including one nutter in my club. The rest of us wore long tights.

Few cyclists in shorts this morning. Then again, there were fewer cyclists on the road too. I was on the bus :(
  • Headhuunter
    Yes, I saw a couple of commuters in shorts this morning - now that's just ridiculous! It was near enough zero out! Running in shorts is not quite as strange, although when I used to run Iin these sorts of temperature I used to wear tights. When you run you don't go as fast as you do on the bike, so there isn't so much freezing wind whizzing past your legs, and running makes me hotter anyway.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    its usually the fatties you see in shorts at this time of year :wink:
    More problems but still living....