Forum home Road cycling forum Training, fitness and health

Cycle Fitting in London

birdy247birdy247 Posts: 454
Hi

Does anyone know a good cycle fit service (for my existing bike) where i can get properly fitted. Had on going calf/foot cramps on my left side only, which seems to have progressively come on (in the last 2 months), so I want to get a professional bike fit opinion.

If anyone knows any, preferably near the city, or south west London it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Posts

  • CasbarCasbar Posts: 168
    Cyclefit do it.....But they have a long waiting list if you want to do it for an exisitng bike. They are also not cheap
    I have not used them myself , so dont know how good they are and if its worth the money

    Look here http://www.cyclefit.co.uk/
    exercise.png
  • birdy247birdy247 Posts: 454
    I have checked it out and it is far too expensive. Does anyone know any other "cheaper" alternatives.
  • The Bike Whisperer - no personal experience but have only heard good things about them,
  • mswmsw Posts: 313
    I had it done at Mosquito Bikes in Islington and was very happy with it, mainly because it instantly sorted out a nagging knee problem: http://www.mosquito-bikes.co.uk/htdocs/ ... %20fitting

    It's not a cheap thing to do anywhere I don't think but it looks as though they charge less than Cyclefit and given the time and expertise involved it seemed like a fair price. Mosquito also managed to fit me in a couple of days after I rang up. For me it was really an alternative to physio for the knee so well worth it I think.
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."
  • MrBlondMrBlond Posts: 161
    Slight hijack / related note, I also have knee problems and have been thinking about doing something like this, mainly to sort out my cleat placement.

    Would Mosquito be a good place for this kind of advice, or alternatively does anyone know of a good sports physio in London who knows cycling?

    Cheers
  • phreakphreak Posts: 2,693
    huuregeil wrote:
    The Bike Whisperer - no personal experience but have only heard good things about them,

    I went to them and can recommend them.
  • Sigma Sport do a BG Fit at their warehouse. East Molesey. Best £120 I've ever spent on the bike. Ask for Lee.

    http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/app/web/BlackMenu.aspx?qsMenuID=14&qssubmenuid=49
  • mrushtonmrushton Posts: 5,182
    birdy247 wrote:
    I have checked it out and it is far too expensive. Does anyone know any other "cheaper" alternatives.

    Expensive compared to?

    If you are happy with your present condition that's ok but if you are seeking a professional opinion of your cycling position and (any) related problems then you have to pay the rate. Mosquito are supposed to be excellent and Cyclefit are top notch. My partner has used them and they sorted out some issues that allowed her to ride pain free. I've met Julian and Phil who own Cyclefit and they are professionals at what they do and the expense is relative. Unfortunately they have become victims of their own success and have imposed restrictions on their service in the belief that other shops should be doing what Cyclefit do. Bespoke Cycles may do some fitting service but it may be restricted to purchasing from them. If cost is an issue perhaps look outside the London area.Paul Hewitt in Lancs charges £50 but his service is a lot less scientific than Cyclefit, going more on experience. He was spot on when my partner used his service recently regarding a track bike.
    M.Rushton
  • doyler78doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    mrushton wrote:
    birdy247 wrote:
    I have checked it out and it is far too expensive. Does anyone know any other "cheaper" alternatives.

    Expensive compared to?

    If you are happy with your present condition that's ok but if you are seeking a professional opinion of your cycling position and (any) related problems then you have to pay the rate. Mosquito are supposed to be excellent and Cyclefit are top notch. My partner has used them and they sorted out some issues that allowed her to ride pain free. I've met Julian and Phil who own Cyclefit and they are professionals at what they do and the expense is relative. Unfortunately they have become victims of their own success and have imposed restrictions on their service in the belief that other shops should be doing what Cyclefit do. Bespoke Cycles may do some fitting service but it may be restricted to purchasing from them. If cost is an issue perhaps look outside the London area.Paul Hewitt in Lancs charges £50 but his service is a lot less scientific than Cyclefit, going more on experience. He was spot on when my partner used his service recently regarding a track bike.

    Got mine done there and you don't need to get a bike from them. I didn't. I had awful problems with my knees, hips & feet. All sorted now. Turned out to be tight hamstrings but then when the only fitting I had available to me locally was a measure up of me and stick figures into a computer well they were never going to get me sorted were they?

    I suffered for years and had done the bike fitting, physio, bike fitting, physio, physio route and well at the end of the day no amount of physio will make up for a poor fitting and not amount of basic fitting with little or no real knowledge of fitting by the "fitter" will mean you get a good fitting.
  • mswmsw Posts: 313
    re: cleat placement and knee problems, there's a BikeRadar article on cleat placement here: http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/artic ... eats-24284 - if you just want to sort the cleats out it might be worth giving the "dangle off a table" trick a go before dropping the best part of £200 on a full bike fit which deals with all sorts of other things too. I was totally happy with the Mosquito service but there's a lot more to it than the cleats and you might not need all that.

    and a couple of interesting things about knees:

    http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... ance-17010
    http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... rt-2-17445
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."
Sign In or Register to comment.