turbo's

dboden
dboden Posts: 349
Hi there, I,m thinking of getting a turbo.. Never been on one, don't know much about them. I,ve heard they knacker your tyres.
Votes please for who has a turbo training specific tyre, and who hasn't.. Those that do, do you have a spare wheel & tyre, a spare turbo bike, or do you change your tyres frequently!!!
If I put a training tyre on my winter bike, I will then have to change back every time I want to go out at the weekends!!! Is it worth the hassle??

Thanks

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I don't bother changing tyres between turbo and road. I just make sure it's clean before putting it on the turbo.

Plus, have a read of this thread -

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12661884
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I have an old backwheel that I use solely for the turbo. Its not in the best shape - slight buckle and the bearings are the best but it works. You don't need a turbo -specific tyre, like those supplied by Conti or Tacx - an old worn tyre will do just fine.

Over the years I have found that using my normal road wheel on the turbo lead to the tyre tread squaring off and being buffed to a nice shine - neither of which fill me with confidence when the tyre is back on the road.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    LangerDan wrote:
    I have an old backwheel that I use solely for the turbo. Its not in the best shape - slight buckle and the bearings are the best but it works. You don't need a turbo -specific tyre, like those supplied by Conti or Tacx - an old worn tyre will do just fine.

Over the years I have found that using my normal road wheel on the turbo lead to the tyre tread squaring off and being buffed to a nice shine - neither of which fill me with confidence when the tyre is back on the road.

+1

Old wheel and tyre.
  • Anonymous
    LangerDan wrote:

It does but as I use my powertap wheel it means constantly changing tyres and I really really CBA doing that!

I'd rather get a new tyre in the new year...
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    NapoleonD wrote:
    [
    It does but as I use my powertap wheel it means constantly changing tyres and I really really CBA doing that!

You've only got one PowerTap? Ffffttttt. I know there's a recession, but if you're not going to take your cycling seriously, you shouldn't bother. ......
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Anonymous
    LangerDan wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    [

You've only got one PowerTap? Ffffttttt. I know there's a recession, but if you're not going to take your cycling seriously, you shouldn't bother. ......

Waiting to pick one up on eBay cheap. Stingy I know, but, well, recession!
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Forget about a spare powertap - do you not have a spare house in the Canary Islands, so you can ride outside all year? :? :roll:

I use rollers which puts a lot less stress on the tyre - mine don't even warm up. They do get smooth after about 1hr+ though. They still feel "safe" on the road.
  • nanox
    nanox Posts: 15
    I bought the cheapest wheel I could find, as well as a spare casette, and then I got the Continental trainer tyre. It cost me less than 60 all in all, so not too bad.. It's definitely worth it compared to having to change tyres all the time.