Ricco

avoidingmyphd
avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
edited February 2010 in Pro race
Interesting trail for forthcoming procycling interview with Ricco here:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ricco-e ... redemption

It seems he thinks that the way to characterise cheating is as "something that happened TO him", rather than something he did himself, and any regrets he has are because the WAY in which he was exposed was humiliating.

With this in mind, I think it's fair to say he's wrong to predict that whether he can win over the fans or not depends on his results on the bike...

Comments

• I find it shocking that he says "If I start winning again, people won’t even remember what happened to me – the same thing that happened to lots of other riders".

I think alot of people will remember...
  • He is a little idiot, however exciting his attacks were. I don't think he is well liked in the peloton either.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Interesting trail for forthcoming procycling interview with Ricco here:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ricco-e ... redemption

It seems he thinks that the way to characterise cheating is as "something that happened TO him", rather than something he did himself, and any regrets he has are because the WAY in which he was exposed was humiliating.

He may not actually be that far away from the truth. If, as anecdotal "evidence" might suggest, he was exposed to PEDs from an early age, then he may have a point and that he is, to some degree at least, the "victim", as well as the "perpetrator". He's still a tool though.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Agree with what Garry said. I don't think 15 year old amateurs go out and buy EPO on their own accord, no matter how cocky they are.

Personally I don't understand the hate towards him. He's young, he's outspoken, he's uber-talented... people use those adjectives to describe Cavendish in a good way. Apart from the drug taking, what's the difference? He's done his two years, he's admitted his wrongdoing and co-operated with the authorities FAR more than other riders - I'm looking forward to seeing him race again.
  • There is no denying he is a superb rider to watch. It will be interesting to see if he is flat like Basso on his return...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    afx237vi wrote:
    Agree with what Garry said. I don't think 15 year old amateurs go out and buy EPO on their own accord, no matter how cocky they are.

Personally I don't understand the hate towards him. He's young, he's outspoken, he's uber-talented... people use those adjectives to describe Cavendish in a good way. Apart from the drug taking, what's the difference? He's done his two years, he's admitted his wrongdoing and co-operated with the authorities FAR more than other riders - I'm looking forward to seeing him race again.

A lot of people use those adjectives to descride Cavendish in a negative way too.

Apart from the drug taking
    Perhaps that IS the reason? Does there need to be another one?
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • afx237vi
    Stuey01 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

A lot of people use those adjectives to descride Cavendish in a negative way too.

Apart from the drug taking
    Perhaps that IS the reason? Does there need to be another one?

Some people use those terms to describe Cavendish in a negative way, yes, but I'd say they're outnumbered by the positive uses.

OTOH, I don't think many people ever saw Ricco's brashness as a good thing, even when he first appeared on the scene, way before we knew about CERA and all that. People just took an instant dislike to him. Which is odd, really.

FF has a point, though. Ricco could well come back and spend the year riding like a sack of potatoes, a la Flandis.
  • Echo et les Boniments
    edited December 2009
    He is a little idiot

You know in July 2008 I was in Italy when the Ricco/Piepoli pair got kicked out of the Tour. I remember an article in a serious, respectable newspaper, was it La Stampa, an article entitled Marco would have used CERA. So, no, Ricco ain't a little idiot, I guess he's just a little more cynical and a little less of an hypocrite than his pairs. I dunno if you understand Italian but try listen to him, Ricco's actually funny, clever, articulate. Then for sure, he is a smart ass and he likes being provocative and, yes, some people will hate him for this and, no, he doesn't give a sh*t about the whys and hows.

Ricco doesn't want to be a well-liked rider. Ricco wants to be Pantani. He wants to be a star. He's a working class kid who decided cycling would make him rich and famous.. This is Italy, this is a place where cycling can still make you a king, it can still take you from rags to riches -if you want to make it and you've got what it takes and you are ready to train hard and take what you have to take (!)... And Ricco's quite pissed about what happened in 2008 cos' he was about to become one of Italy's main sport stars and instead he lost two years because his doc told him CERA would be untraceable -and it wasn't.
    And Ricco doesn't feel he did anything wrong -his doc did. Now he's back with a vengeance: it's do or die... That may well be absurd but that's his frame of mind and like it or not, that's the way most Italian top pros see the world: you banned me? I served my time and now I want another shot at glory...
    So next year Ricco will try not to be caught again, he will try to win races, he will get fans and haters, he will be talked about. In Italy he will try to be a star again. And to him this is all that matters.
  • I thought he was great when he first "came out" at Tirreno Adriatico, his appeal waned somewhat through the Giro when it was revealed he had all the class and tactical nous of said sack of potatoes, went even further south when he was busted at the Tour then somehow he undermined even that by laughing in the face of the testers saying they should have caught him about 6 other times.

At least Cavendish thanks his team, maybe I just lose something in translation not being familiar with Italian language or culture. However, everybody connected with pro-cycling seemed to dislike Ricco, Cav seems to at least inspire respect.

Anyway, list of reasons to dislike Ricco

That white suit he wore to the 2008 Giro route presentation
    CERA (obv.)
    Bleached hair
    Rat-like features
    Complete lack of respect for anybody
    Tactical idiocy in clear contravention of team orders (if you're going to try and dish your leader and mentor, you've got to make it stick)
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Echo, good post as usual.

As I said previously I think he is a superb rider to watch. I don't particularly like him as a person but then that doesn't really bother me much anyway with him.

I see your point about wanting to be a star and the points that follow. I know about him wanting to emulate Pantani which is why he climbs like him.

No I don't know Italian and likely never will. I'm half French.

If he comes back with a bone to pick then good - it will make for a spectacle.

But then you have Contador who can match Ricco in the mountains and crush him everywhere else. He has a ton more money than Ricco ever will, he will be around longer than Ricco will, he has more respect that Ricco has, he has more friends in the peloton than Ricco ever will.

He has this as well as being humble and quiet.

Who would you rather be?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Refreshingly free from the usual PR bullsh*t.
    He'll be back and racing, avec le juice du jour.
    So, either he gets close to the Maglia Rosa, or Pat's passport pops him for a life spot.

That's about the sum of it for all returnees and the lucky others.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    hope we see a bit of him this year.. the dude has some talent. Lets just hope he can be a great rider without the PEDS
    cartoon.jpg
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He was exciting to the watch but this could be said of many riders if you doped them to the gills. He'll be under close scrutiny from fans, the media as well as CONI and the UCI. We'll see how exciting he is when he returns but frankly I'd rather the media focused on real riders, not those who cheat and cut corners.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Echo, good post as usual.

As I said previously I think he is a superb rider to watch. I don't particularly like him as a person but then that doesn't really bother me much anyway with him.

I see your point about wanting to be a star and the points that follow. I know about him wanting to emulate Pantani which is why he climbs like him.

No I don't know Italian and likely never will. I'm half French.

If he comes back with a bone to pick then good - it will make for a spectacle.

But then you have Contador who can match Ricco in the mountains and crush him everywhere else. He has a ton more money than Ricco ever will, he will be around longer than Ricco will, he has more respect that Ricco has, he has more friends in the peloton than Ricco ever will.

He has this as well as being humble and quiet.

And he never quite got caught

Who would you rather be?

Fixed that for you there FF :wink:

So when would you bet on Bertie riding the giro next?

Strava is not Zen.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Kléber wrote:
    He was exciting to the watch but this could be said of many riders if you doped them to the gills. He'll be under close scrutiny from fans, the media as well as CONI and the UCI. We'll see how exciting he is when he returns but frankly I'd rather the media focused on real riders, not those who cheat and cut corners.

Riders who cut corners eh?

10lance_cyclocross2_05_p.jpg

2151763754_f243d60394.jpg

:wink:
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Great pic, not seen that angle before.
  • The Italian was speeding down the descent of Serramazzoni when he encountered a bus coming from the opposite direction.

Riccò swerved to prevent a collision and hit the deck. His bike went under the bus and was completely destroyed, while the rider suffered cuts and bruises. He is expected to be sidelined for several days.

Velonation.

He is back on 17th March with Ceramica Flaminia-Bossini Docce.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Am I the only one who liked him? Before he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar that is.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    AFX you could also be discribing Armstrong couldn't you?
    Echo try as he might Ricco will NEVER be Pantani. Nessuno come Marco :cry:
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • afx237vi
    Ms Tree wrote:
    AFX you could also be discribing Armstrong couldn't you?

Fair point, that. The young Armstrong was about a popular as the pre-CERA Ricco, wasn't he? Both heavily criticised for their brashness, lack of respect etc.

Ricco has shown some humility since he was busted, though. The 2009 Armstrong is not that different to the 1993 one.

• Anyway, list of reasons to dislike Ricco

CERA (obv.)
    Bleached hair
    Rat-like features

:D:D:D [/b]
  • And he wears those dreadful Crocs™.

DV360428.jpg

• Anyway, list of reasons to dislike Ricco

CERA (obv.)
    Bleached hair
    Rat-like features

:D:D:D [/b]

I'm just telling it like it is!

As for him nearly being hit by a bus... what do you suppose those white lines, commonly painted in the centre of roads, signify?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Ms Tree wrote:

Not now he won't. Got busted far too early in his career :roll:
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I have to agree with Frenchfighter and ask what sort of Ricco will return. Vino has tried to come back and is lacking, Basso is a shadow of his former self. Will Ricco buck the trend and get back to business as usual??
    I like his aggression; I guess you can be agressive when you're off your head on dope. Hmmm...
    I like to be an aggresive rider too but everyone else seems quicker than me :?
    I aggressiviely hang on to the back, yep! that's me!! Who's the Daddy!!
    -jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Anyway, list of reasons to dislike Ricco

CERA (obv.)
    Bleached hair
    Rat-like features
    Complete lack of respect for anybody
    Tactical idiocy in clear contravention of team orders (if you're going to try and dish your leader and mentor, you've got to make it stick)

A good list, but you forgot the hit-me face. Unless, of course, you feel the urge to hit rats in the face. :wink:

Ricco's key attribute seemed to be his ability to sprint away on the drops on the steeper climbs, a la Pantani. On the basis that such attacks seem to be indicators of a system full of PEDs, just how likely is he to be able to do that without the PEDs? I can't see it myself. .
  • Ricco_01.jpg
    Ricco_203.jpg

At last some attractive team bikes.
    57b0d0e309.jpg
    a871898419.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    very nice bikes. Kinda liking his black jersey also. Looks like it would fit me too.
    I am really looking forward to seeing Ricco in action again.
    cartoon.jpg
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Hey, a "man in black" :wink:

A shame Flaminia are getting publicity, the media focusses on him instead of the others. Let's hope he can reform his ways.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    As the rules stand, he's served his ban and is entitled to ride again (within the rules) - same as the other former dopers in the peleton, including the rather more articulate David Millar. Seems charm paves the way for forgiveness.

Unlikely he'll be able to demolish the peleton again, as he did at the 2008 Tour, but we'll have to wait and see.

Personally, I though his honesty was an intersting perspective. I think his comments on certain riders being like 'vegetables' was pretty close to the truth - drones with radios.