OT: Currys Harlow

Comments

• NGale wrote:
    Hang on they essentially made you do a strip search in a public place? Only the police can do that under PACE arrangements.

I don't know much about the law, but I am pretty sure only the police can enforce a strip search. Also if they had grounds to believe you had stolen, then they have the right to hold you in somewhere other than a public place until the police arrive.

I'm sorry but they cannot and do not have the right to infringe your basic rights like that. They essentially acted as judge and jury in one go.

Not sure about this. Friend of a friend was on his motor bike (I can pretend it was push bike if the off topic police want to get upset) and went up the wrong way on a one way. He was distracted by a nice building on a Sunday jaunt. Police saw him and did him but also said that he matched the suspect of a nearby theft. The thief had some tattoos and they asked him to show them that he did not have tattoos on his chest. This was in the middle of the street and it completely shocked him. He complied and had to take of his top clothing and show his naked form to the world. Coppers were not friendly and was quite intimidated.

He decided to go to court for the motoring offence to tell everyone about the way he was treated. The judge was not happy and he got off.

I think if the police want to search you then they have to take you off to the police station if they want to make you get naked in the street.

I am basing my knowledge of PACE on about 10 years of watching The Bill. This was during Bob Cryer's time so I may well be out of date.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    NGale wrote:
    Hang on they essentially made you do a strip search in a public place? Only the police can do that under PACE arrangements.

I don't know much about the law, but I am pretty sure only the police can enforce a strip search. Also if they had grounds to believe you had stolen, then they have the right to hold you in somewhere other than a public place until the police arrive.

I'm sorry but they cannot and do not have the right to infringe your basic rights like that. They essentially acted as judge and jury in one go.

Not sure about this. Friend of a friend was on his motor bike (I can pretend it was push bike if the off topic police want to get upset) and went up the wrong way on a one way. He was distracted by a nice building on a Sunday jaunt. Police saw him and did him but also said that he matched the suspect of a nearby theft. The thief had some tattoos and they asked him to show them that he did not have tattoos on his chest. This was in the middle of the street and it completely shocked him. He complied and had to take of his top clothing and show his naked form to the world. Coppers were not friendly and was quite intimidated.

He decided to go to court for the motoring offence to tell everyone about the way he was treated. The judge was not happy and he got off.

I think if the police want to search you then they have to take you off to the police station if they want to make you get naked in the street.

I am basing my knowledge of PACE on about 10 years of watching The Bill. This was during Bob Cryer's time so I may well be out of date.

Yes but at least it was the police who did the search (although I agree it shouldn't be in public). a member of store staff just has no right to do something like that.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Fcuking Curry's. I'd not have thought to call the Police but that's what I'll do now if that ever happens to me, disgraceful. On the other hand at least you didn't buy anything from them, I wouldn't touch that shop (or Dixons') with a very sh1tty stick.

As for the OT police, most of the commuting forum is OT and that's kinda how we like it...

:P
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    As for the OT police, most of the commuting forum is OT and that's kinda how we like it...

It should be renamed the Spam Here forum then.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

Right...
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    NGale wrote:

I don't believe that they made him do that. He volunteered.
    He had right to refuse bag search, and right to refuse to take off top. He also had the right to comply, which he did.

I do not think the issue here is actually being challenged, as these shops lose milllions each year to shoplifters, and we all have to pay the price. I applaud them for being vigilent and keeping an eye on suspicious individuals. (No offence Aidy)
    What is an issue though is the bad attitude once he has proved to be a genuine customer.
    That is down to the individual and probably not the company, as the company will be hot on customer service. Yes, do complain, yes get satisfaction, and an apology, maybe even a voucher, but I see no point on any boycott of a chain because of one individual manager or incident.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,952
    Fcuking Curry's. On the other hand at least you didn't buy anything from them, I wouldn't touch that shop (or Dixons') with a very sh1tty stick.

Don't forget to add PC World to that list of dsg companies will you!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Aidy wrote:
    why put something off topic, when it can be put into a forum where it's relevant though?

Sometimes it's nice to chat with mates rather than strangers.

Aidy, don't let the management off the hook. What a sh!tty experience.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    biondino wrote:
    Aidy, don't let the management off the hook. What a sh!tty experience.

I'm not going to, fully intend to see this all the way through.
    I'm still pretty angry about it all.
  • Aidy

I do not think the issue here is actually being challenged, as these shops lose milllions each year to shoplifters, and we all have to pay the price. I applaud them for being vigilent and keeping an eye on suspicious individuals. (No offence Aidy)

None taken - I don't have issues with bag searching requests (although this was the first time it's happened to me - I'll be better prepared if there's a next time).

I really don't think I acted in at all a suspicious manner though.
    I've been going over it in my head, and the only thing I remember that could be even vaguely considered "suspicious" was that I slowed down and looked around when an employee ran past me shouting after another employee. But well, I'd call that normal human behaviour.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Stuey01 wrote:
    assault (yup it is)

WTF?

Care to explain how this is assault?

He's right, assault does not require any physical contact - just leaning towards someone can be assault, as I understand it.

If this was the USA, you'd have sued them for sh1tloads by now - "emotional distress". Don't let head office fob you off with an apology - get the person in question disciplined forthwith, threaten Larry Law if not. If it was my company, the manager would not be having a merry little Christmas, not in the current economic climate - plenty of people would jump into her shoes right now.

Totally outrageous behaviour. Try also Watchdog, they love this sort of thing, and have a nice line in crucifying Chief Execs on TV.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Aidy
    SecretSam wrote:
    If this was the USA, you'd have sued them for sh1tloads by now - "emotional distress". Don't let head office fob you off with an apology - get the person in question disciplined forthwith, threaten Larry Law if not. If it was my company, the manager would not be having a merry little Christmas, not in the current economic climate - plenty of people would jump into her shoes right now.

Totally outrageous behaviour. Try also Watchdog, they love this sort of thing, and have a nice line in crucifying Chief Execs on TV.

I'm pretty much not going to be happy without her dismissal.

I'd been thinking about newspapers - but Watchdog is a good suggestion.
    I'm holding that play until after I call Currys tomorrow to see what's happening.
  • As for the OT police, most of the commuting forum is OT and that's kinda how we like it...

Hmm, Am I missing some ironic humour here...? :? :roll:
  • As for the OT police, most of the commuting forum is OT and that's kinda how we like it...

Hmm, Am I missing some ironic humour here...? :? :roll:
    I'm going to troll the road section looking for references to "shimano" "campy" or "lance" and tell them all what dull w&**$£ they are and get a life, or some outside interests.

Or maybe I'm not.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    That is really awful behaviour. I would have told them to call the police but I understand in the heat of the moment what one might say is different.

Well done to you for following this up. Let us know of the outcome.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    SecretSam wrote:
    Stuey01 wrote:
    assault (yup it is)

WTF?

Care to explain how this is assault?

He's right, assault does not require any physical contact - just leaning towards someone can be assault, as I understand it.

It is not assault, as demonstrated by the numerous definitions and previous cases cited in this very thread, supposedly in support of the notion that this was assault, but that actually demonstrated that it, in fact, wasn't.

Key to all the descriptions/definitions/precedents was the intent to cause apprehension of personal violence in the victim. There was no suggestion of this at all in anything that has been posted by the OP.

It is bloody awful behaviour, disgraceful and the manager should be disciplined at least. But it wasn't assault.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • I just used the ''you'll have to restrain me and call the police'' approach quite successfully this afternoon. I was out with a camera to photograph where London's latest woman killed under a HGV lorry (died 10 December) in Greenwich ( some details here: deptfordmarmoset.blogspot.com) and stopped at ASDA, Charlton, to buy some food. As the provision for cyclists at their store is pitiful I decided to get some photos. One of the photos took in the staff smoking shed, and a security bod came out from it to request that the photo be erased. As that photo wasn't necessary and possibly could have identified ''Willis'' I obliged by erasing it. He then went on to explain that it is forbidden to take any photos of ASDA stores or their facilities. I explained why I was taking photos and said that I wasn't prepared to erase them. He pretended to call the police, I asked if he intended restraining me, to which he answered no. Whereupon, I cycled off with no blue flashing lights chasing me down the road....

Oh well, that's yet another store I'll have to veto from now on.
  • Aidy wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

I'm pretty much not going to be happy without her dismissal.

I'd been thinking about newspapers - but Watchdog is a good suggestion.
    I'm holding that play until after I call Currys tomorrow to see what's happening.

It's so hard to sack employees nowadays - esp because they can go to a tribunal free of charge (free to them at least)

She'll be reprimanded, then go off with stress for a few weeks and claim her behaviour was because of her managers targets etc. Then she'll demand a payout to leave so will be cheaper for Curry's to keep her.

I'd love to sack a person where I work - just to set an example to others who don't work as hard as they should - but it's not worth the hassle.

Just get some vouchers out of them as it's something they could do and you'll be happy and she'll be told off and will perhaps get some of her bonus reduced (if they work on bonus's). To be honest, you getting vouchers and then getting her to serve you may be enough of a slap in her face.
    Specialized Roubaix Pro Expert 2020
    Boardman HT Pro Ltd Ed MTB
    Boardman Pro Carbon Road Bike (Turbo Trainer)
    Charge Mixer
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    -spider- wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    Why has this been posted in COMMUTING???? It has NOTHING to do with CYCLING let alone COMMUTING. It should be in CAKE STOP CAFE.

Might be why he put OT before his heading?

why put something off topic, when it can be put into a forum where it's relevant though?

Somewhat presumptuous of you - not being a roadie I never bother with the Road forums. I'm a commuter and a mountain biker.

This is the second thread you've tried to steer people to the Cake Stop. In the other it was on the pretext that you had to go to the Cake Stop for proper debate. So I had a look and found 146 pages of girls in lycra. Which was excellent, but didn't really pass for a debate.

If the Cake Stop is so great, why don't you stay there?

You also need to check out the definition of spam before you make yourself look a bit daft. Whoops, too late.
    Rules are for fools.
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    If nothing comes of your complaint to management, well, they already think you are a tea-leaf...

So you may as well go in and nick a few laptops for good measure.

:wink:
  • Aidy
    don_don wrote:
    If nothing comes of your complaint to management, well, they already think you are a tea-leaf...

So you may as well go in and nick a few laptops for good measure.

:wink:

I kinda figure I was told I had an exceptionally poor attitude for not stealing anything, so the logical way to rectify this is to... :)
  • Aidy
    Wicked2627 wrote:
    Just get some vouchers out of them as it's something they could do and you'll be happy and she'll be told off and will perhaps get some of her bonus reduced (if they work on bonus's). To be honest, you getting vouchers and then getting her to serve you may be enough of a slap in her face.

This has been said a few times, but I'm not really interested in getting money, real or pretend out of them.

I'm all about the principle, me.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Waddlie wrote:
    -spider- wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    Why has this been posted in COMMUTING???? It has NOTHING to do with CYCLING let alone COMMUTING. It should be in CAKE STOP CAFE.

Somewhat presumptuous of you - not being a roadie I never bother with the Road forums. I'm a commuter and a mountain biker.

This is the second thread you've tried to steer people to the Cake Stop. In the other it was on the pretext that you had to go to the Cake Stop for proper debate. So I had a look and found 146 pages of girls in lycra. Which was excellent, but didn't really pass for a debate.

You also need to check out the definition of spam before you make yourself look a bit daft. Whoops, too late.

I think you'll find it was Dilemna that posted the Cake Stop suggestion.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    Waddlie wrote:
    ...So I had a look and found 146 pages of girls in lycra. Which was excellent, but didn't really pass for a debate.

Sounds like a mass debate to me....

I'll get my coat :oops:
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Waddlie wrote:
    -spider- wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

we used to have a great place for these issues- a section called SOAPBOX butthe powers that be deleted that section
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Aidy
    Grr.

Just called their complaints line for an update.

After talking to the store (and I really don't see what the point in talking to the store is, when it's the managers which are at fault), I'm told "we can't tell you anything".

Followed by "you won't get any update as to the outcome of the investigation".

Followed by "it's all up to the area manager".

When I asked if I could speak to the area manager, I was told that that was completely impossible.

When I asked if they could leave a note on file for the area manager, and that I expected an update I was told that they couldn't do that.

Then they hung up on me whilst I was mid-sentence.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Aidy wrote:
    Grr.

Just called their complaints line for an update.

After talking to the store (and I really don't see what the point in talking to the store is, when it's the managers which are at fault), I'm told "we can't tell you anything".

Followed by "you won't get any update as to the outcome of the investigation".

Followed by "it's all up to the area manager".

When I asked if I could speak to the area manager, I was told that that was completely impossible.

When I asked if they could leave a note on file for the area manager, and that I expected an update I was told that they couldn't do that.

Then they hung up on me whilst I was mid-sentence.

That is what I call good service! ;)

Another reason why I never shop there.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    I would have fully complied, and stripped fully, then proceeded to spread your cheaks in her face as to asist. Though I'm not sure which caries the largest penalty, gross indecency or shop lifting?
  • Aidy, if I were you I would leapfrog over any middle management or complaints departments and go straight to the CEO:
    john.browett@dixons.co.uk I believe.
  • Aidy
    charlesa wrote:
    Aidy, if I were you I would leapfrog over any middle management or complaints departments and go straight to the CEO:
    john.browett@dixons.co.uk I believe.

Ah, thank you very much.

I'd been looking for it, but hadn't had any luck.