refelctors

chrishumes
chrishumes Posts: 227
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
just got me new bike delivered, ive put lights on it, but decided tor emove the reflectors. whats the crack with them, are they a legal requirement and would anything get done to me because of removing them?

cheers

Comments

• I think strictly speaking (legally) you need a white reflector on the front, a red reflector on the back and amber reflectors on the pedals. Their shape comes into it as well I seem to remember. Those reflector thingies on the wheels are optional.
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited December 2009
    +1, but -1 reflector :D

You need a rear light and rear reflector when riding at night. A front light is required, but front reflectors are advised but not required. Pedal reflectors are also a legal requirement. Wheel reflectors are also advised.

And the number of cyclists with the full requirement?
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Rear reflector is law, front one is not. Correct lights are also law, see highway code.
    Pedal reflectors are also law.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Apparently the one on the front isnt required:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4071
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    But why would you take them off? Are you afraid someone'll see you?
  • I didn't know about the pedals being a requirement...What should I put in my MG-1's?
  • will3
    Zachariah wrote:
    I didn't know about the pedals being a requirement...What should I put in my MG-1's?

these

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Shim ... -18548.htm

18548shimano_l.jpg
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Taken mine off, lack of room!

Might try and squeeze the rear one on the frame somewhere seeing as its law.

Whats the best way to deal with pedals though, my M 520 SPD pedals have no reflectors?
  • Wallace1492
    iPete wrote:
    Taken mine off, lack of room!

Might try and squeeze the rear one on the frame somewhere seeing as its law.

Whats the best way to deal with pedals though, my M 520 SPD pedals have no reflectors?

Stick these boys on one side:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/mtb-cages-3885152/

I have touring pedals and have stuck some Scotch tape on my cranks and pedals.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Would I get away with no pedal reflectors, since my overshoes have reflective stuff down the back hence doing the same job?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    No, they need to conform to British Standard BS 6102-2 or equivalent (and will have the standard marked on them if they do). Full details here.

I would like to be legal, but use double-sided spd's (not prepared to make them single sided with the pedal refectors). :cry:
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Same here - I was behind a cyclist though recently who, like me had no pedal reflectors but reflective overshoes and they stood out for miles in car headlights, so they do the job.
  • Wallace1492
    I do not have the "legal" reflectors on the pedals, but have but Scotch Tape on the cranks and a little fits on the pedals too. I also have these on each ankle:

LED_Safety_Armband_with_Flashing_Clip.jpg

As well as reflective overshoes. Not legal, but I believe enough to argue my point.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    iain_j wrote:
    Same here - I was behind a cyclist though recently who, like me had no pedal reflectors but reflective overshoes and they stood out for miles in car headlights, so they do the job.

Sounds like my set up. I have tape on the pedals & crankarms & reflectives strapped round my ankles.

DfT have previously said they don't think people should be prosecuted provided they make suitable alternative arrangements:
    There might be a need to review the use of pedal reflectors on 'clipless' pedals and recumbent bikes. Unfortunately the Department does not have powers to regulate reflective material worn by a rider, which would seem to offer a sensible alternative. Therefore we are unwilling to relax the regulations. However we feel that if it is impossible to fit pedal reflectors to a cycle, for technical reasons, then as long as the rider makes an effort to compensate, for example by fitting reflective strips around his trouser legs, then prosecution of the rider for contravention of the regulations would be unlikely.

From here:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/archive/2004/awbal/surveycomplianceandqualityim1127?page=2[/url]
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    What use are pedal reflectors on my recumbent? So the ants can see me pass overhead?
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Yeah :)
  • was going to post a diatribe in favour of pedal reflectors, colour, shape etc and how we should all have them to differentiate us from runners/peds, then I though look pedals, crank bros egg beaters, frameless spd's.......

odd that they're a legal requirement when theres plenty of pedals it's unenforceable on.

or are the pedals illegal at point of sale?
  • was going to post a diatribe in favour of pedal reflectors, colour, shape etc and how we should all have them to differentiate us from runners/peds, then I though look pedals, crank bros egg beaters, frameless spd's.......

odd that they're a legal requirement when theres plenty of pedals it's unenforceable on.

No. They aren't necessarily being sold for use on the road, its the rider that would be illegal.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Has ANYONE been prosecuted for no relectors ??

If they have - then nobody on here has reported it ?

If you are riding in the dark - then it makes sense to have them on - as a backup to the lights.
    You'll not get done for not having them - its just that you really want as much visibility as possible.
  • will3

The thing is that noone forces you to buy the pedals that have no reflectors, so it's really no excuse. There are pedals that can or do have reflectors, that you chose not to buy them or use them for whatever reason is no excuse for breaking the law!
  • i thought the question wasn't whether you'd be prosecuted for not having them but more of a contributory negligence one if you had an accident i.e. the cyclist didn't have these reflectors which are a legal requirement therefore part of the blame for the accident is on the cyclist. Same goes for BSi or equivalent stamped lights surely.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    salsajake wrote:
    was going to post a diatribe in favour of pedal reflectors, colour, shape etc and how we should all have them to differentiate us from runners/peds, then I though look pedals, crank bros egg beaters, frameless spd's.......

No. They aren't necessarily being sold for use on the road, its the rider that would be illegal.

You are only required to show (legally defined) lights and reflectors on a pedal cycle between sunset and sunrise. Providing the cycle is only used during daylight hours you can fit any pedals you want.

Also, and unless I'm missing somethng, there is nothing in the regulations meaning that they only apply to road use. That sai, and logically, there must be something somewhere (probably in the Highways Act) as you would otherwise have to show lights and reflectors on an indoor track during the hours of darkenss.

Bob
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    salsajake wrote:
    was going to post a diatribe in favour of pedal reflectors, colour, shape etc and how we should all have them to differentiate us from runners/peds, then I though look pedals, crank bros egg beaters, frameless spd's.......

not illegal during daylight hours!

to be honest, i'd be less worried about prosecution, more worried about a claim of contributory neg if hit by a driver - not that I've heared of that ever happening, but it might?
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    beverick wrote:
    ... there must be something somewhere (probably in the Highways Act) as you would otherwise have to show lights and reflectors on an indoor track during the hours of darkenss. Bob
    "Highway"

Cheers,
    W.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    I've always thought it odd that rear reflectors and pedal reflectors (which are visible only from behind) are legal requirements but wheel refelectors (visible from the side) are just recommended. A rear light means that you are normally visible from behind even if you dont have the pedal and rear reflector. A bike without wheel reflectors can be very difficult to see for a driver turning out of a side street and the glint of the wheel reflectors can be a real life saver (or at least can avert a collision) in a way that I'm not sure a rear reflector ever does.
  • to get the BS stamp the lights need to output i think it is about 35% of their light to the sides.
  • to get the BS stamp the lights need to output i think it is about 35% of their light to the sides.

If this is indeed the case (I'm not questioning your knowledge, btw ;) ), surely this law should be modified. My old paper round lights from the mid 80s (clip-on ever ready? always popped off and broke if I rode over a pot hole) are pretty pathetic my modern standards such as the 900 lumens jobbies. The latter would only need a smidgen of side visibility to far exceed the the brightness given off by 35% of the former!

Perhaps the law should now be that "x lumens" of light is thrown and visible from the side?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • the law needs a massive change. very few of the lights you can buy, including many of the very best, comply with BS so I have been told, but the ones that you speak of, that switch themselves off and fall off, do. If true, the rule book needs to be rewritten.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    On the subject of (legal, after dark) pedals (ie with BS reflectors) does anybody have an recommendations for clipless (prefereably SPD compatible) double sided pedals that have reflectors that are actually usable?

I've had (two) pairs of these: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/823-clipless-pedals-3885821/ and one of theses http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/c13-cyclo ... s-3883332/ and whilst they come with reflectors that can be clipped on, they're from the ministry of crap design & fell off/broke within a week in both cases (& I've never seen spares available).

Crank Brothers Smarty is the one option (though, I'll then have to buy two pairs of egg beaters to fit on my two road bikes, which is money I don't have right now).
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    The question of legality is only an issue when the 'law' is actually going to be enforced.

Being involved in a road incident whereby the at fault person's legal team is going to argue every case of shifting the blame, not having the reflectors on pedals and rear facing red reflector and possibly bell even?? ... that is a prospect none too rosy as is the facing up the to the pain and injury as well..

of course those councils who are 'wetting' themselves to gain absolute enforcement powers to issue fixed penalties almost without challenge .. well cyclists without this and that are going to be very easy targets