Mark Cavendish - Vote For Sports Personality of the Year

2»

Comments

• 1st. Ryan Giggs 151,842 votes (29.4%). 2nd Jenson Button 96,770 (18.74 %) 3rd Jessica Ennis 80,469 (15.58%) 4th. Mark Cavendish 55,960 (10.84%) 5 Beth Tweddle 38,907 (7.53%) 6 Tom Daley 36,929 (7.15%) 7 Andy Murray 19,936 (3.86%) 8 Andrew Strauss 17,237 (3.34%) 9 David Haye 13,916 (2.69%) 10 Phillips Idowu 4,507 (0.87%)
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I voted Button & Cavendish. Giggs, nice guy, great record, wrong award. TBH Beth Tweddle is probably most deserving given the rarity of British success in that sport.

I think public participation is important for "ownership", but the vote just shows the public aren't actually trustworthy when left to making the big decisions :wink: (see next years general election for more evidence!).
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Thanks afx.

Cannot believe the winning margin the footballer had.
  • alfablue
    Tusher wrote:
    Thanks afx.

Manchester United is said to have 75 000 000 supporters worldwide . . . explains everything IMHO.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,174
    It also doesn't say a lot for the Sports journalists, if it isn't football et al, they're pretty much clueless ( a generalisation i know) it's not that long ago that a whole range of sports were covered on TV Programmes: Sportsnight, Grandstand, Sport on Friday, etc
    I used to be a huge football fan, but it's lost the plot nowadays - and the hold it has over the media is unhealthy.

I think in any other country Cav may have won, but good old Britain, entirely predictable.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • alfablue
    AndyRAC wrote:
    It also doesn't say a lot for the Sports journalists, if it isn't football et al, they're pretty much clueless ( a generalisation i know) it's not that long ago that a whole range of sports were covered on TV Programmes: Sportsnight, Grandstand, Sport on Friday, etc
    I used to be a huge football fan, but it's lost the plot nowadays - and the hold it has over the media is unhealthy.

I think in any other country Cav may have won, but good old Britain, entirely predictable.
    Breaking News: Britain doesn't like cyclists :wink:
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    alfablue wrote:
    Tusher wrote:
    Thanks afx.

Manchester United is said to have 75 000 000 supporters worldwide . . . explains everything IMHO.

Gotta laugh when these kind of figures are banded about i mean how does anyone even know that ? Its like saying how many grains of sand there are on Aberdour beach
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • alfablue
    I'm glad I amused you Moray, my work here is done

(jeez, I strayed into the Pro Race forum - won't do that again!).
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Moray Gub wrote:
    alfablue wrote:
    Tusher wrote:
    Thanks afx.

Gotta laugh when these kind of figures are banded about i mean how does anyone even know that ? Its like saying how many grains of sand there are on Aberdour beach

I saw a quote the other day that said last week's Miss World competition had 2 billion viewers worldwide. I think you just file that kind of thing under C for "crap we just pulled out of thin air".

Cav's girlfriend didn't win, btw.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    afx237vi wrote:

I saw a quote the other day that said last week's Miss World competition had 2 billion viewers worldwide. I think you just file that kind of thing under C for "crap we just pulled out of thin air".

IIRC, viewing figures are not, as you and I might reasonably expect, the number of people who tuned in but the number of people by the numer of times they tuned in . If you clicked on to Miss World five times during the course of the programme, you are five viewers.

I believe its from the same branch of mathematics that Father Vaughters uses to explain how Garmin is worth a gazillion dollars.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    LangerDan wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

IIRC, viewing figures are not, as you and I might reasonably expect, the number of people who tuned in but the number of people by the numer of times they tuned in . If you clicked on to Miss World five times during the course of the programme, you are five viewers.

I believe its from the same branch of mathematics that Father Vaughters uses to explain how Garmin is worth a gazillion dollars.

Ahh, as you would, each time your girlfriend / wife nips out of the room. Just to see who's winning, like.
  • Although I normally only skim the sports pages, I did happen across this this morning :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/articl ... Giggs.html

... which might explain why some of us were a wee bit disappointed at this weekend's outcome at SPOTY. Although, despite the fact I loathe football, I've always thought Giggs was a good lad, seemingly modest, and deserved the award for 'good behaviour', if nothing else.
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • Well, what's the surprise? Isn't match-fixing meant to be a bigger problem than PEDs in footie?

It wouldn't be the first time a Beeb's programme has been caught out for dodgy results.