Mark Cavendish - Vote For Sports Personality of the Year

andyedwardsster
andyedwardsster Posts: 30
edited December 2009 in Pro race
It is on Sunday, 19:00 GMT BBC1. A public phone vote. Some good contenders, but it would be great if Cav could win - he's achieved a lot this year. I set up a Facebook page for a bit of fun and have posted a few reminders here and there. Let's see ...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mark-Cave ... 002?ref=ts

http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/sport/ ... the-Year-0

Comments

• Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Andy, that's fantastic work.

Thanks.
  • You have to really..
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Ryan Giggs :lol:.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    What a load of manc :lol::lol::lol:

Having said that, being a Welshy, probably the best, most consistant player in the modern era not to have graced the world cup.

Manc forums are obviously massive !!!!!!!
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Ryan Giggs :lol:.
    FFS. I despair at the "great" british public.

Did anyone actually get to vote? Second year running unable to get through.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    I was sat in "family room" (wife and kids watching X Factor in living room), blubbering into my Pinot Grigio when Seve and Oli were on. A true pair of gentlemen. :(:(
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I would have voted for the dude sitting next to Giggsy in the audience, purely for the outstanding facial furniture. Just imagine all the hours of commitment and dedication he had to put in to grow that fine specimen. Are you telling me that is not a sport?

Oh yeah, and Miss Paraguay was looking fine 8)
  • wicked wrote:
    Ryan Giggs :lol:.
    FFS. I despair at the "great" british public.

Did anyone actually get to vote? Second year running unable to get through.

Fergie must've asked for extra time on the number to vote for Giggs.
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    Ryan Giggs-WHY?

It's not a lifetime acheivement award,that i could understand.If he played for Bolton or Spurs do you think he would've been on the shortlist.

At least Jenson,cav&Murry were regular headliners in the SPORTS news THIS YEAR :roll:
  • Cavendish fourth, according to a BBC guy on twitter, 10% of the votes
  • Tusher
    Ruddy football.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Shame they didn't mention his other victories and particularly his Milan - San Remo win or the Giro stages and his wearing of the maglia rosa. Still indeed he came fourth, which is not bad:
    Other vote totals were: cyclist Mark Cavendish in fourth (55,960), gymnast Beth Tweddle (38,907), Daley (36,929), tennis player Andy Murray (19,936), Strauss (17,237), boxer David Haye (13,916), athlete Phillips Idowu (4,507).
  • Airwave wrote:
    Ryan Giggs-WHY?

It's not a lifetime acheivement award,that i could understand.If he played for Bolton or Spurs do you think he would've been on the shortlist.

At least Jenson,cav&Murry were regular headliners in the SPORTS news THIS YEAR :roll:

To be fair if he played for Notlob or Spurs he wouldn't have 10 championship medals and 2 European Cups would he?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    To be fair if he played for Notlob or Spurs he wouldn't have 10 championship medals and 2 European Cups would he?

and how many of those has he earned in the last year?
  • To be fair if he played for Notlob or Spurs he wouldn't have 10 championship medals and 2 European Cups would he?

One, to make him the person to win more championships as a player than anyone.

It doens't matter though does it, that's who people voted for. Wouldn't have been my choice, but it's not important is it?

This is like the furore when St. Helens won team of the year and a load of golfers complained that "organised voting" by RL fans had robbed the ryder cup team. Why does it matter?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273

One, to make him the person to win more championships as a player than anyone.

It doens't matter though does it, that's who people voted for. Wouldn't have been my choice, but it's not important is it?

This is like the furore when St. Helens won team of the year and a load of golfers complained that "organised voting" by RL fans had robbed the ryder cup team. Why does it matter?

Jenson looked a bit peeved up on stage with his second place didn't he?

Speaking of teams, the bloody team of the year was scandalous as well. The womens cricket team and the Irish rugby team were both more deserving than England mens cricket team.

The team is voted for by a panel of 30 "experts" isn't it. Shocking result.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    Sonny73 wrote:
    Shame they didn't mention his other victories and particularly his Milan - San Remo win or the Giro stages and his wearing of the maglia rosa.

It was a shame they didn't mention San Remo, it was Cav's best win of the season. I will never tire of rewatching that finish :D
  • Langman
    Langman Posts: 178
    What a load of rubbish - Giggs sports personality of the YEAR I don't think so. He's had a great career - but he's past it now, this is just a lifetime achievement award - he is probably least deserving of all the top ten to be honest.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Langman wrote:
    What a load of rubbish - Giggs sports personality of the YEAR I don't think so. He's had a great career - but he's past it now, this is just a lifetime achievement award - he is probably least deserving of all the top ten to be honest.

agree. I think he thought that as well, he looked pretty embarrassed and clearly wasn't expecting it.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    I couldn't understand how Giggs won Welsh SPOTY or made the short list for this award. How he won (with a third of the vote!) is bizarre. I know there have been some contraversial winners in the past but that has been in years where British sporting success has been limited. With the exception of Giggs, Strauss and Cav everyone on that shortlist (IIRC) has won a world champs in the past 12 months and Cav won 6 stages in the world's biggest bike race. Giggs wasn't even in the starting line up for Utd quite often :?
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    I don't really have an issue with the fact that he won, more that he was shortlisted. You can't tell the public the rules in which they should place their vote, but how did he get on the shortlist in the first place.

If Cav had wone the green jersey he may still have struggled. The average sports fan doesn't understand enough about cycling to comprehend how good Cav's season has been. They will think he's good if he wins olympic medals or wins the yellow jersey at the Tour.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    The shortlist is made up from top 10s produced by journalists working for a load of newspapers, mainly national papers, but some more local like for big cities. Also some more local regional newspapers like the Daily Record.

The people who appear in the top 10s the most got through to the final top 10 that was voted on last night.

To be honest, I think it shows a certain amount of voter apathy. I could imagine a load on Man U fans voting for Giggs (transversely, I can't imagine that many supporters of other teams would have voted), but I could also imagine a lot of Welsh people voting for him because he's Welsh. Perhaps there weren't as many people who could identify with a particular sportsperson in the same way, I can't imagine the population of the Isle of Man is particularly large. 7 of the shortlist were English, 1 Scot, 1 Welsh and 1 from IoM.

I managed to vote for Cav 3 times, from the landline and 2 mobiles in the house and still he got nothing :lol:
  • I think the important point to remember is this the award is for Sports Personality of the Year - and takes into account a wider basis than solely sporting achievement.

Personally, I think Giggs has been fantastic for Man U over the last year, both as a player and as a leader on the park. Some of his individual performances have been top drawer and the term 'indian summer' is definitely applicable. Moreso, throughout his career he has set a great example to all sportsmen, sports fans and children with his dedication and integrity as an athlete and based on that, it is hard to levy an argument against him to say he definitely shouldn't have won (without saying that he was the only person who would have merited the award).

For me, Cav - despite his great season, and as much as I respect him as a cyclist - I find him annoying; comes across as a bit immature and a bit of a spoilt brat, chucking his toys out the pram when things don't go his way. Some people like that side of him; I don't, so I wouldn't have voted for him.
  • Also, apologies - hello all. First time poster but been following the forum for 2 or 3 months now.
  • afx237vi
    hammerite wrote:
    The shortlist is made up from top 10s produced by journalists working for a load of newspapers, mainly national papers, but some more local like for big cities. Also some more local regional newspapers like the Daily Record.

The people who appear in the top 10s the most got through to the final top 10 that was voted on last night.

To be honest, I think it shows a certain amount of voter apathy. I could imagine a load on Man U fans voting for Giggs (transversely, I can't imagine that many supporters of other teams would have voted), but I could also imagine a lot of Welsh people voting for him because he's Welsh. Perhaps there weren't as many people who could identify with a particular sportsperson in the same way, I can't imagine the population of the Isle of Man is particularly large. 7 of the shortlist were English, 1 Scot, 1 Welsh and 1 from IoM.

I managed to vote for Cav 3 times, from the landline and 2 mobiles in the house and still he got nothing :lol:

On the voter apathy point - If Cavendish could only get 4th last night, then what are his chances in future years? Last night, most of the floating voters were watching the national karaoke championships, leaving the cycling block vote with a much bigger opportunity to influence the vote than they would have in other years. How many total votes were there? Less than a million?

On the Welsh thing - I don't think that had much to do with him winning. Giggs is popular in general here, but not really in the same "national hero" way as Calzaghe or Shane Williams or even Nicole Cooke.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    afx237vi wrote:
    hammerite wrote:

On the voter apathy point - If Cavendish could only get 4th last night, then what are his chances in future years? Last night, most of the floating voters were watching the national karaoke championships, leaving the cycling block vote with a much bigger opportunity to influence the vote than they would have in other years. How many total votes were there? Less than a million?

On the Welsh thing - I don't think that had much to do with him winning. Giggs is popular in general here, but not really in the same "national hero" way as Calzaghe or Shane Williams or even Nicole Cooke.

Agree with that, especially as he retired from international football a few years back.

With regards to the Sports Personality bit, that's just an historic name and it has generally become a Sports Perfomer award (FFS Nigel Mansell won it so that shows it has nothing to do with personality!).

I'm actually surprised that Cav finished as high as he did. I thought it would be a 2 horse race between Button and Haye although I would have voted for Ennis (nothing to do with me fancying her :oops: ).
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I can understand those points AFX & Pross. Although Calzaghe is a Welsh national hero, I think he also has a huge range of appeal across the rest of the UK - he's the ultimate in dominating sports people something we rarely get in the UK.

I reckon quite a few were also aggreived that he didn't win it the previous year when the horsey royal won!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,573
    Stuey01 wrote:

The team is voted for by a panel of 30 "experts" isn't it. Shocking result.

yeah thats right. it used to be voted for by the public until st helens rlfc won a couple of years ago, the bbc decided that wasn't acceptable and changed the system.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Tusher
    Missed it, although it is taped. I'm savouring it actually. Phoned in several times, (using my friends' mobiles- be warned not to go on a night out with me) and to be honest, I'm delighted he came fourth and not tenth. Another year...................

..........they might ban ruddy footballers.

Anyone know the number of votes Jessica Ennis and the driver received? Was he far off third place?

Cav just looks edible in CW's photos though.
  • afx237vi
    Ryan Giggs (29.4% 151,842 votes)
    Jenson Button (18.74% - 96,770)
    Jessica Ennis (15.58% - 80,469)
    Mark Cavendish (55,960)
    Beth Tweddle (38,907)
    Tom Daley (36,929)
    Andy Murray (19,936)
    Andrew Strauss (17,237)
    David Haye (13,916)
    Phillips Idowu (4,507)

Giggs won by quite a bit. My estimate of a million total votes earlier in the thread was a tad optimistic :shock: