Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon - First ride

13»

Comments

• I normally use the M520's on my road bikes, prefer them to all out Road pedals as theyre double sided! Use my Mountain bike shoes as well, so if you do need to do any walking in them its much easier!
  • Jezzery
    Jezzery Posts: 122
    Just purchased the yellow Look Pedals from Fudge Cycles for £84. Man this bike business really starts eating into your wallet. I keep trying to think of reasons for justifying the purchases - gave up smoking 5 months ago, saves on petrol...... Can only use these excuses so many times.

Now i've got to buy some shoes to go with them I suppose - any thoughts? (I did see someone mentioning some yellow ones earlier.)

I'll have to put the £19 ones on my commuter bike.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    i cant believe people are buying £1000 carbon bikes to practise using cleats on :o .
    there may be some broken frames along the way. :roll:
  • Jezzery
    Jezzery Posts: 122
    I am going to test on my other bike first.
  • Got a call from Halfords today, my bike is in, No 199.

Just need my C2W voucher so i can pick it up!
  • Hi guys, take it easy, its my 1st internet post ever!
    The story is: ive got my ltd ed boxed up at halfords waiting for my R2W voucher to arrive through the door. Problem is after eventually finding somewhere that had an L and XL to compare and my only guide was 2 young downhill MTB halfords guys, I plumped for the L . im 6foot 3 with a 33 inch inside leg. ( 1st halfords had me compare for over an hour and half a med against an XL, computer said med was a Large. Like something off the chuckle brothers, too small, too big, too small, too big. they only realised when I grabbed a tape measure ) Has anyone ever had a bike fitting from anyone in the birmingham/ sutton coldfield region and is it worth it? Im a mountain biker and after 9 years still dont feel comfortable on my orange sub 5. My biggest concern is they will try and say i have either bought the wrong bike or wrong size. I went into red kite before i found out only halfords could supply bikes for my R2W scheme. When I mentioned Boardman bikes they were disgusted, but before i could realise anything they were pointing me at £1600 to £2K bikes. I dont know wether to ask there about bike fitting or to just ride the bike and see how i get on. Fair enough they were very helpful but wonder if i would get the same response if i took in a new bike from Mr Boardman.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    djbarren wrote:
    these are the very shoes in question.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/mavic-zx ... 34916.html

will give you reasons for buying them l8r

Those shoes are questionable indeed. :wink:
  • sods_law
    sods_law Posts: 161
    wigleycm wrote:
    Hi guys, take it easy, its my 1st internet post ever!
    The story is: ive got my ltd ed boxed up at halfords waiting for my R2W voucher to arrive through the door. Problem is after eventually finding somewhere that had an L and XL to compare and my only guide was 2 young downhill MTB halfords guys, I plumped for the L . im 6foot 3 with a 33 inch inside leg. ( 1st halfords had me compare for over an hour and half a med against an XL, computer said med was a Large. Like something off the chuckle brothers, too small, too big, too small, too big. they only realised when I grabbed a tape measure ) Has anyone ever had a bike fitting from anyone in the birmingham/ sutton coldfield region and is it worth it? Im a mountain biker and after 9 years still dont feel comfortable on my orange sub 5. My biggest concern is they will try and say i have either bought the wrong bike or wrong size. I went into red kite before i found out only halfords could supply bikes for my R2W scheme. When I mentioned Boardman bikes they were disgusted, but before i could realise anything they were pointing me at £1600 to £2K bikes. I dont know wether to ask there about bike fitting or to just ride the bike and see how i get on. Fair enough they were very helpful but wonder if i would get the same response if i took in a new bike from Mr Boardman.

Welcome to the forum :)

First thing to do is try the bike. I am 5'10 and ride a M, and find it very comfortable, even though the dimensions are all smaller than my other bike.

The L may be on the slightly compact side for you, but without seeing you, is hard to say. Your legs are not that long for your height at 33", so the L might suit you fine. If your body is slightly longer, then you may need a longer stem to increase the reach slightly, but this isnt a problem. I really like the slightly compact feel of my bike, the bars are quite low, so the bike encourages you onto the drops, and you dont feel overstretched.
    I think a bike that is slightly small that has a higher saddle and longer stem will feel nicer than a bike thats too big which has been 'made smaller'. (Have no experience, just from what I have gleamed from this place).
    Try the bike, if it dosnt feel quite right, get a fitting session done, and any good place should be able to advise you if you need a longer stem etc. They often charge you and refund the price if you buy a bike. I dont think anyone will laugh when you take in that white boardman, it really is stunning.

Regarding shops disgust at Boardman, well... only Halfords sell them (is the main issue), but Bike Hut were very good to me and set my bike up well, and Boardman have been cleaning up in the reviews this year, so shops are just jealous i think :lol:
  • Just to jump in on this one, I got my ltd edition road (No043) at the beginning of December and personally think it's brilliant. I'm 5"10 and also opted for the medium (although a more experienced bike shop recommended a nominal 56cm would suit) the large was too much of a stretch for me, short legs 29"!!

Anyway, too many statistics!! regarding expense issue's after the eventual cost of the bike I also have had to fork out aprox 60 quid for some look keo classic's in black (find these excellent and suit the bike well) followed by about 70 quid for some speicallized shoes which are very comfortable, then realized that due to the time of the year my feet were freezing! so then another 30 squid on overshoes..oh and some chain cleaner, saddle bag, co2 cannisters, puncture repair kit ....the list is endless and naturally could quite happily go out and spend more as there is so much kit out there that we obviously all need!!!

All we need now is some dry/warm weather with more daylight hours to enjoy these superb bikes!!
  • Thanks very much for the reply you gave. Im really excited now. just waiting for the voucher to pop through my door. My mind was made up about the size when a gent came in to buy just the team cabon frame. He had the tour de france ringtone on his phone so i assume he's a keen cyclist and he recommended the L . Does anyone know if halfords cut down the steerer tube or if it comes in already short.

Thanks Chris
  • rake
    era you buying the frame only? how much are they incase i break mine.
  • Hi everyone, first post, but had join the conversation. I got mine a week ago and only got out on it last night, was smiling all the way round my training route! :D Nearly gave myself hypothermia though, so need to upgragde part of my winter kit, but just had to ride it. Like all the comments it is totally different to my previous cheaper bike, and I have really noticed I have got what I paid for. Much like when I upgraded my MTb last year. Like someone said the hills just seemed to disappear.

The cost has added up though, new shoes and pedals, Look keo sprint pedals in white and mavic shoes not the yellow ones, but did consider the pedals! also got a cateye strada cadence computer off the classifieds, but really not sure I can add the wires to the frame, so might be selling/upgrading that as well! And now I have seen the white bottle cages ..... :?

For size help, I'm 5ft 11 and didn't fit the large, I ride a 17.5in mtb, and all the shops I went into sized me up to a 54cm road bike. I also found an online do it yourself size guide from someone like wiggle, and that also came out as the medium.

Hope that helps
    Look 675 Light Di2
    Boardman Pro C winter hack
    Cannondale Prophet
    Decathlon Hub geared City bike
  • amnesia
    amnesia Posts: 118
    First post for me too - hi all !!!

I got the Boardman Comp with last year's Cycle2Work voucher, and have a Team Limited waiting for me at my local Halfords to pick up this weekend with this year's voucher :D

Can't wait for my first ride on a full carbon bike... it seems so light in the store.

Fingers crossed that the snow and ice has disappeared by Saturday...

Daniel.
    2013 Focus Izalco Pro 2.0 UDi2
    1999 Sunn Vertik II MTB - old skool !
  • 2 Weeks and counting for me, drop all the kit off I have got for them to build it next week! starting to get exited now!
  • 2 Weeks and counting for me, drop all the kit off I have got for them to build it next week! starting to get exited now!

I wanna see a before [stock] picture and a after [upgrades] picture, OK? :wink:

CiF
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Im dead jealous squill! Post pics asap.
  • I wont have a stock pic, as Im getting the shop to install it all when they build it up!
  • Just found this thread - I have the Team Carbon and love it!

In fact I just set-up a Boardman Bikes Facebook page where we can all share our love of the Boardman machines!

Post your bike pics - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Boardman-Bikes/199877860022623?v=wall

I'm pretty jealous of the Ltd Edition White framed bikes! So post pics of those especially!
    Knebworth MTB Facebook Page - http://www.facebook.com/knebworthmtb
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Talking of which, any word on the 2011 range before some brands start to bring out their 2012 bikes?
  • rake
    theyre busy fettling to make sure its perfect.