Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon - First ride

Comments

• I really like the yellow hoods, I like the whole colour scheme, especially compared to the other option of black.
    I've still only had the one ride so haven't given it a good 20+ miler yet (been away for the weekend), but hope to get out this week for a good couple of rides.
    It is a flat white, not pearlescent, but is a glossy white rather than a flat dull white.

Cycling is Forever - apologies for the delay in replying but the pump is a Topeak (?) job from my LBS - £15 or so. I'm thinking of removing it as the left crank arm was initially knocking against it until I moved the pump in its mount upward, but think it may slip back down. Considering getting a bigger saddle bag and some CO2, but will see how the pump goes on some longer rides.

Opened the garage this evening when I got home and there was a big smile on my face when I saw it sitting there. Got another smile when I had a letter from Barclays, who my home/contents insurance is through, and they've added it with no increase to my policy until renewal (May!) and then it'll only be £30 extra a year, and that covers any bike, away from home, upto £1,000. Cannot get better than that.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Thats great news gregster!
  • sods_law
    sods_law Posts: 161
    Sorry to jump on your thread gregster, but took my Ltd Ed out for its maiden voyage on Sunday with a few guys from my club. Was a 30 miler, so enough time to get to grips with everything, and to feel pretty confident on it come the end of the ride.

Moving from a low end all aluminium bike, a few things stood out. Firstly the ride is really sharp, put some power down and the bike is really responsive. This is also the case in the turning (sue to straight forks?), took a small while to get used to this. General road noise and vibration was a lot lower, but bigger bumps in the road seemed perhaps worse than on the alu bike (stiffer frame?).

Sram took very little getting used to, and the quality of the gear changing was a lot smoother than Shimano Sora (unsurprising!)

Riding position is comfortable. Unsure about the saddle just yet, need to put a few more hours on it to see how it 'beds' in before i make a decision.

Didn't get the change to really blast it up some hills (went out the night before
    :oops: ), but looking forward to doing that maybe tomorrow if the weather is dry!
  • I'm another one who picked his new TC Ltd Edition this weekend. Yet to give it a long ride but agree with all previous comments - if it goes half as good as it looks......
    Build standard from Halfords was more than OK (after a one hour check in shop/at home plus seat change), so no complaints there.
    My normal commute is a Rockhopper & this is my first proper road bike so I can't make relevant comparisions.
    I may need to adjust the brake lever reach slightly. Apparently there's a setscrew under the hoods but can anyone advise how to remove it??
    Boardman Team carbon LE #077
    2008 Rockhopper Pro
  • 49tcv
    49tcv Posts: 5
    Boardman limited size L
    AVAILABLE

The bike is now off sale at halfords and has been taken off the website and there are no more left.

I have one on reserve if anyone is interested please PM me and I will see if we can work something out

Best wishes
  • Nice to hear some other views on the bike, so jump away people.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    I'm another one who picked his new TC Ltd Edition this weekend. Yet to give it a long ride but agree with all previous comments - if it goes half as good as it looks......
    Build standard from Halfords was more than OK (after a one hour check in shop/at home plus seat change), so no complaints there.
    My normal commute is a Rockhopper & this is my first proper road bike so I can't make relevant comparisions.
    I may need to adjust the brake lever reach slightly. Apparently there's a setscrew under the hoods but can anyone advise how to remove it??
    look here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BkT3WBYlI0
  • Thanks Rake :D
    2008 Rockhopper Pro
  • Also took delivery of a TC Ltd Edition at the weekend. Got lucky, having only put my deposit down 2 weeks ago!

Took it straight from the shop for a 50 mile blast, and was a little worried about the build quality from Halfords having read some unfavourable reviews. Pleased to say the Putney guys seems to know their stuff and had no problems, except for an oddly angled seat!

Love the ride, frame seems very stiff (although coming from Trek 1000 Alu frame it's hard to compare) and light. Need to get used to it, found myself flying along and leaving the other guys behind quite a lot. :D

Love the looks, turned a few heads on the road.
    Boardman Team Carbon Limited Edition
  • Just had a call from my Local Halfords, managed to source me a Ltd Edi Medium which is perfect for me! Apparantly they kept a few back just in case there were any problems with the ones that were already sold.

Now they have released the ones that were kept back and I managed to bag one of the last!

Job done, roll on Jan!
  • Just in terms of waiting for an XL - have you been given a date yet? I'm waiting too - they've told me they're docking on 2nd Jan so should be in store available for collection by 14th.
  • They said next week for the medium, so ready for when I get my voucher!
  • What does the saddle feel like?
  • If the one on the '09 Team is anything to go by then not the best, shame they dont do the Charge Spoon in white, may have to fork out for a Fizik.
  • rake
    i find mine ok. not used an £100 saddle though.
  • i colleted mine early this week. its my first road bike and everytime i look at it i have a massive smile on my face lol.

only problem i had and would advise others to check is loose rear wheel spokes. took it back and had a very knowledgable man help me who told me and another member of staff that the wheels it has need an extra half turn on the spokes from the factory. so it could be worth checking others
    Boardman limited edition carbon #60
  • I checked the spokes on mine before leaving Halfords. All were fine, so it's probably down to the person building/checking them at the shop.

Re. the seat, I swapped mine without even trying to my favoured Spoon Ti in black - still looks good, though if they'd done it in white I'd have opted for that :wink:
    2008 Rockhopper Pro
  • If the one on the '09 Team is anything to go by then not the best, shame they dont do the Charge Spoon in white, may have to fork out for a Fizik.

They do the charge knife in white though
  • Do they?! Great stuff, I'll get one ordered!
  • Jezzery
    Jezzery Posts: 122
    Got my Boardman Limited Edition yesterday. My first road bike and absolutely love it.

Not been out on it for a long ride yet due to weather and to scared I might stack it on the ice.

Going to take off the reflectors and put some clip on pedals on it.

Any recommendations for pedals

Here's my no. 81

Hope this link works:

BoardmanLtd.jpg
  • nice i got frame number 60.

i also got look keo classic pedals. 39pounds in decathlon. ive also orderd some shimano r086 shoes
  • Nice, cant wait to pick mine up now!

Where did you get the white bottle cage from?
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Nice. 8)
    These pics beg the question why don't they offer the white option all the time? Far nicer than the black!
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • rake
    cost of a paintjob. im not nice so have a black one. not everyone will prefere white btw.
    waits for nice people to rip him from top to bottom on each side.
  • Jezzery
    Nice, cant wait to pick mine up now!

Where did you get the white bottle cage from?

Got the cage from ebay - got another on the way for the other holder. The guy accepts offers of around £21. Carbon - nice and light.

Here's the listing

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-IDIO-3k-Carbo ... 33587fe18a
  • i have offered him 20pounds today. and just see you mention he accepts around 21pounds.

my new shoes and tights/bib arrived today from wiggle
  • i look at some white look pedals. but the arms are black
  • I've just bought the white Look pedals. Letter of collection arrived today - bike still not due in Halfords for another 3 weeks.....gutted!!

Boardman Limited Edition Carbon #????
  • Jezzery
    djbarren wrote:
    I think these would look sweet on one of these bikes.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/look-keo ... 54234.html

Yes they look great - can't really justify £90 on pedals at the moment after this expense.

Went for these for £19 with cleats - not the nicest looking but want to try the clip system before diving in. People seem to like them and good value. Will buy more expensive ones in the new year:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 181wt_1167
  • If I can sneak them into the house, I will be going for the yellow pedals and some yellow Mavic shoes to match!