Wiggins - the ultimate journey man (a.k.a. gun for hire)

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    From his twitter:

Wouldn't wee-wee on these wankers if they were on fire!
    11 minutes ago from mobile web I've had some Horrible messages from some brainless wankers who feel my move to sky has somehow affected there own lives!
    14 minutes ago from mobile web

Bradley should be down on his bended knee giving thanks that people are prepared to invest emotionally in what he,as a sportsman, does. Its precisely because peoples' lives are affected that they are prepared to drag themselves up an Alp, on foot, to watch some grown men on bikes ride past; or stand at the sidelines some soggy playing pitch, shouting themselves hoarse for 90 minutes. If there weren't "brainless wankers" to buy satellite TV subscriptions or laminate flooring or financial services, Bradley might have to pilot a desk or stuff widgets in boxes like the rest of us.

He's where he wants to be and he's got a sackful of cash. Could he not just put the Twitter away for awhile?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    ^ Absolutely spot on.
  • LangerDan wrote:
    From his twitter:

11 minutes ago from mobile web I've had some Horrible messages from some brainless wankers who feel my move to sky has somehow affected there own lives!

Bradley should be down on his bended knee giving thanks that people are prepared to invest emotionally in what he,as a sportsman, does. Its precisely because peoples' lives are affected that they are prepared to drag themselves up an Alp, on foot, to watch some grown men on bikes ride past; or stand at the sidelines some soggy playing pitch, shouting themselves hoarse for 90 minutes. If there weren't "brainless wankers" to buy satellite TV subscriptions or laminate flooring or financial services, Bradley might have to pilot a desk or stuff widgets in boxes like the rest of us.

He's where he wants to be and he's got a sackful of cash. Could he not just put the Twitter away for awhile?

I don't think BW is accusing all people who buy satellie TV subscriptions or etc of being brainless wankers. Why do you think this?
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    sounds to me like he's received personal abuse. pro sportsman or not, rich or not, I don't see why he has to put up with it.
  • 'What aload of pompous drivel! I expected better!'

^What he said^

Man changes job for better paid job with good prospects and people he gets on with. Not really hard to understand and there are many people would like to be in his position right now including me.
    Bakewell Toybox
    Bakewell
    Derbyshire

www.welovetoys.co.uk
  • Woolfie wrote:
    'What aload of pompous drivel! I expected better!'

^What he said^

Man changes job for better paid job with good prospects and people he gets on with. Not really hard to understand and there are many people would like to be in his position right now including me.

Dave Brailsford
    25 September 2009

"There are two or three more spots to fill on our roster and we have our eyes on a few riders," he told BBC Sport.

"But key British riders are maybe under contract and we've got to respect that."

yeah, right
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yeah - he respected it by giving vaughters a shedload of cash to buy Wiggins out ?

Bloody Brailsford eh - apart from turning us from a third world cycling nation into the worlds premier (by a huge margin) track team - whats he ever done for us.....

I swear people on here would moan about Moses parting the Red Sea.... "I mean its all muddy here - and as for the Star Fishes - ewwww"
  • cougie
    Yeah - he respected it by giving vaughters a shedload of cash to buy Wiggins out ?

Bloody Brailsford eh - apart from turning us from a third world cycling nation into the worlds premier (by a huge margin) track team - whats he ever done for us.....

I swear people on here would moan about Moses parting the Red Sea.... "I mean its all muddy here - and as for the Star Fishes - ewwww"
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    cougie wrote:

I don't think anyone in their right minds can think the whole thing was a pleasant experience with Garmin saying "oh great, yeah, take a core member of our team, we'll just put a pile of notes on a bicycle"
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Yeah - he respected it by giving vaughters the option of a shedload of cash to buy Wiggins out or a courtroom battle

"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse"
  • how on earth could this have ended in a courtroom battle? I saw that on cyclingnews too and thought it was just a slip, but now you've said it too, Lucy.

Does anyone know how it could have happened?
  • how on earth could this have ended in a courtroom battle? I saw that on cyclingnews too and thought it was just a slip, but now you've said it too, Lucy.

Does anyone know how it could have happened?

Vaughters “It was not the outcome I wanted at all,” he said. “We did everything we could to keep him happy and with us, and we stretched the organization as far as we could. But we are not one of the larger-budgeted ProTour teams.”
    The decision to settle, he added, was “based on the fact that I did not feel that going into a protracted legal battle was good for the team and the athletes I should be concentrating on and supporting,”
    “My energy is better spent on something else than a legal battle with James Murdoch.”
    “The legal resources Sky has at its disposal are quite large.”

http://bicycling.com/blogs/boulderrepor ... departure/
  • I think that Brailsford will have upset many of the top teams by poaching many of their good riders, disregarding contracts and giving the impression that they (Sky team) has that much money they can do what they want. When, during a race, he will want favours from another team it will not be forthcoming and other teams will actively conspire to stop Sky winning.
  • Old Tuggo wrote:
    I think that Brailsford will have upset many of the top teams by poaching many of their good riders, disregarding contracts and giving the impression that they (Sky team) has that much money they can do what they want. When, during a race, he will want favours from another team it will not be forthcoming and other teams will actively conspire to stop Sky winning.

+1
    The ASO might take a dim view of it also when considering TdF invites, but I'm sure with all that money to spend Sky will persuade them to issue the invitation
  • LangerDan wrote:
    From his twitter:

Well said.

Contador and Schleck will crush Wiggins in the mountains. Real mountain Tour this year.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Bertie and Schleckette will be hammered on the cobbles and out of touch by the time the race even reaches the mountains! Ok, probably not, but anything can happen. Wiggo will be as strong at Sky as he can possibly be, hopefully that will be good enough for another decent ride.

By the way, do all the people who say he'll never improve on 4th remember their predictions for this year? I think talk of the top 20 was considered fanciful, but of course with the benefit of hindsight the route was just made for Brad, he couldn't have failed...
  • Old Tuggo wrote:
    I think that Brailsford will have upset many of the top teams by poaching many of their good riders, disregarding contracts and giving the impression that they (Sky team) has that much money they can do what they want. When, during a race, he will want favours from another team it will not be forthcoming and other teams will actively conspire to stop Sky winning.

it will certainly be interesting to see how the teams react to the SKY machine once the season starts.
  • cougie

Contador and Schleck will crush Wiggins in the mountains. Real mountain Tour this year.

Unless they get busted first ? Its not been a good history for riders leaving Bruyneels set up has it ? And did Schleck ever get that training programme that he was happy to pay 1000s of euros for ?
  • wrong schleck cougie?
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    Old Tuggo wrote:

I can see what you're saying, but I don't think anyone does favours in professional sport - to the extent that it suits their own purposes, teams will work together. May prove to be a factor in marginal cases, but when it comes to (e.g.) riding to defend positions in the Tour, realpolitik will certainly rule the day. Anyway, have they significantly annoyed everyone else in the Peloton? I thought their main signings were pretty uncontroversial and free agents?
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • mclarent wrote:
    Anyway, have they significantly annoyed everyone else in the Peloton? I thought their main signings were pretty uncontroversial and free agents?

UCI likely to move on breaking of contracts

UCI President Pat McQuaid told Cyclingnews on that he is 'concerned' at recent developments in this area. McQuaid said the governing body is likely to introduce new rules in 2010 to safeguard the rights of riders and teams alike, in relation to existing contracts.

McQuaid referred to the Swift situation as an example. The Briton has one year remaining on his contract with Katusha, but was recently reported as being close to signing with Team Sky. It also named him in its lineup for the Tour Down Under, although the team later claimed that it had believed he was a free agent.

Katusha has complained about the team’s tactics, saying that it is trying to scoop riders who are under contract.

“Under UCI rules, the regulations don’t allow for aggressive chasing of riders, that’s for sure,” said McQuaid. “That is against the spirit of the sport. I mean, I understand if a new team or a new sponsor comes in, and they have got to find riders. But there is a proper way of doing things, and going about things.”
  • cougie
    wrong schleck cougie?

oh thats possible - sorry.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Old Tuggo wrote:

Unless Sky uses said money to pay off those teams. If Sky doesn't win much next season it'll be because they're not good enough and EBH aside it looks that way to me.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    lucybears wrote:
    mclarent wrote:
    Anyway, have they significantly annoyed everyone else in the Peloton? I thought their main signings were pretty uncontroversial and free agents?

UCI likely to move on breaking of contracts

UCI President Pat McQuaid told Cyclingnews on that he is 'concerned' at recent developments in this area. McQuaid said the governing body is likely to introduce new rules in 2010 to safeguard the rights of riders and teams alike, in relation to existing contracts.

McQuaid referred to the Swift situation as an example. The Briton has one year remaining on his contract with Katusha, but was recently reported as being close to signing with Team Sky. It also named him in its lineup for the Tour Down Under, although the team later claimed that it had believed he was a free agent.

Katusha has complained about the team’s tactics, saying that it is trying to scoop riders who are under contract.

“Under UCI rules, the regulations don’t allow for aggressive chasing of riders, that’s for sure,” said McQuaid. “That is against the spirit of the sport. I mean, I understand if a new team or a new sponsor comes in, and they have got to find riders. But there is a proper way of doing things, and going about things.”

I wasn't including riders they haven't actually signed yet... :wink:
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    mclarent wrote:
    Old Tuggo wrote:

I can see what you're saying, but I don't think anyone does favours in professional sport - to the extent that it suits their own purposes, teams will work together. May prove to be a factor in marginal cases, but when it comes to (e.g.) riding to defend positions in the Tour, realpolitik will certainly rule the day. Anyway, have they significantly annoyed everyone else in the Peloton? I thought their main signings were pretty uncontroversial and free agents?

Didn't Garmin try their upmost to stop Columbia from getting to wear yellow in this years' tour? I remember another team (can't remember which), in 2005 was complaining that its riders were never allowed in the breaks of the day during the tour.
    It definitely happens - just maybe not quite as often.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Andy Schlecks take on it:
    I was really surprised that Bradley Wiggins moved from Garmin to Sky. To be honest, I didn’t like the move or the way it was conducted. Okay, he was under contract and he could have broken it but the fact is he totally denied that he was moving and then suddenly he’d moved. I don’t think that was cool and he could have done it more professionally. I didn’t like how he handled it.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/andy-s ... -christmas
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Thanks for your views Andy. Now off you go back to the swingpark.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Gun for hire?

Don't really see how a rider, who was focussed on the track for 10 years and has acheived only a handful of wins in his road career would ever be top of anyone's results-driven shopping list. He's been a rather mis-firing gun!

Seems to me he's drifted from one French team to the other, because they were prepared to accommodate his Olympic ambitions.

The last couple of years, there's been a change of focus, although when he opted to leave High Road/Columbia, there didn't appear to be a long queue. Last year was a step-change and Sky have queered the pitch with their recruitment strategy.

All's fair in love and professional sport, so just le them get on with it.