1:1 vs 2:1 Fight...

2»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If SRAM pulls twice the cable of Shimano, then it has half the leverage in the shifter and twice the amount at the rear mech. This means that SRAM is a little more tolerable of inprecise set ups due to the cable pull - if it stretches a bit it should still give a ok shift. Theoretically the less cable pull of Shimano should be more tolerable of friction in the cables.

In either case I find the key is good quality cables, cut properly, well maintained and precise initial set up means that neither set up needs readjusting much at all. Then it simply comes down to what feels best ergonomically for you. Almost all poor shifting is poor cables, set up and/or bent mech hangers.
  • supersonic wrote:
    If SRAM pulls twice the cable of Shimano, then it has half the leverage in the shifter and twice the amount at the rear mech. This means that SRAM is a little more tolerable of inprecise set ups due to the cable pull - if it stretches a bit it should still give a ok shift. Theoretically the less cable pull of Shimano should be more tolerable of friction in the cables.

In either case I find the key is good quality cables, cut properly, well maintained and precise initial set up means that neither set up needs readjusting much at all. Then it simply comes down to what feels best ergonomically for you. Almost all poor shifting is poor cables, set up and/or bent mech hangers.
    Here is where I came up short with my thoughts on cable friction: If you had a set of crapped out cables would you prefer A) A proportionally smaller force on a longer pull of cable or B) A proportionally large resistive force on a short pull of cable ?

I'm going around in circles thinking about moving the cable a greater distance with less leverage, or a shorter pull of cable with more leverage. I think the problem comes when I think of friction as a constant when in fact it's proportional to force, right?

By my way of thinking, the less cable you move, the better (because you have more leverage WRT resistance from friction) so that would make...shimano mo' better...right?

That said, I ride SRAM, because I like it more.