Wiggins staying at Garmin

andyp
andyp Posts: 10,481
edited December 2009 in Pro race
According to the BBC, with direct quotes from the man himself.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 397628.stm

Comments

• Good man. It's not so bad at Wigan after all then!
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    And so comes to an end (hopefully) the tedious saga. Now wiggo can go to sky in 12 months time for bugger all, now young swift can suck it up and see out the contract he signed as well.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    Doesn't sound too pleased about it, does he? Obviously was hoping Contador would make the jump so that he would benefit from the domino effect...

Bet he's already inked (in principle, at least) for 2011 though. Gotta wonder if team dissatisfaction/TdF route might bring his value down though...
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,573
    he could've at least said what a good team garmin is to ride for. he always comes across as a bit of a prick does bradley.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    He was at Revolution last night, riding on the track. They had some woman doing lowest common denominator-style interviews with some of the riders. She asked Wiggins what it felt like to finish 4th in the Tour de France. He said he'd watched it since he was a kid on the TV, and it was amazing to ride with "that American guy and those two other blokes".

He won the first race of the night, which was a devil/scratch race which looked a little stage managed with most of the other big names being eliminated before the final scratch, then Wiggins brought the house down by chasing down Ben Swift for the win. After that he looked quick a couple of times, but didn't seem to have the track legs to challenge over a race distance and wasn't really in contention for a win again.
  • After reading those quotes from our Brad' I don't doubt that all the boys at Garmin will be raring to give him their full support in the mountains next year...
  • I don't like that man. He has attitude problems. So you came fourth, let's see you do that again. Also a win may be nice...he had zero last year apart from a few TTs and something called Jayco.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    he had zero last year apart from a few TTs and something called Jayco.

Better than Lance with his win in a 3/4 Cat Race :lol:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    After reading those quotes from our Brad' I don't doubt that all the boys at Garmin will be raring to give him their full support in the mountains next year...
    Yes they will. They’re professionals after all. I used to despise my former boss, in fact he was a f**kin @rsehole, but that didn’t stop me doing my job to the best of my ability even though a good performance from me made him look good. It’s the same with the Garmin boys, in fact even more so ...because they’re on show the whole time.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    ju5t1n wrote:
    It’s the same with the Garmin boys, in fact even more so ...because they’re on show the whole time.

If you read some of the quotes from the Garmin guys during the tour last year it sounded like they did get on very well. David Millar's blog post about the Team TT in particular made the team sound like a bunch of mates who really enjoyed riding together and were prepared to go the extra mile for each other.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    So, if no Wiggins and no Swift at Sky - who are they going to get to fill their roster out? They don't have their full complement of riders yet. Or do you think they'll stick with what they have?
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    After reading those quotes from our Brad' I don't doubt that all the boys at Garmin will be raring to give him their full support in the mountains next year...

dont remember him getting much help this year tbh.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pokerface wrote:
    So, if no Wiggins and no Swift at Sky - who are they going to get to fill their roster out? They don't have their full complement of riders yet. Or do you think they'll stick with what they have?

Swift is listed on the Sky roster for the Tour Down Under...

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/433877/swift-named-in-sky-s-tour-down-under-team.html
  • a_n_t wrote:
    ynyswen24 wrote:

Shame you didn't see the main Alpine stage to grand bournard,then,isn't it?
    Vandevelde absolutely burried himself to keep Wiggo in contention on that stage.
    One of the rides of the Tour,that was
    don\'t come the cowboy with me sonny jim!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Not to mention Zabriskie's work on the Ramaz. A lot of guys had been blown away but Z did a good job. Wiggo should have Martin and Danielson too.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    VDV, Z, Millar (early on), TD and Martin - That's a good crew for support in the mountains.

Mind you, I expect they'll be supported VDV more this year if he doesn't break any bones before the Tour.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,869
    a_n_t wrote:
    ynyswen24 wrote:

he was given all the support that team could muster.. Not only that garmin blew the race apart at verbier and opened the race up for wiggins
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Wiggins will be at Sky, as will Swift.
    And probably Liam Killeen too.
  • iainf72
    Wiggins will be at Sky, as will Swift.
    And probably Liam Killeen too.

Despite Wiggins saying he was staying at Garmin?

"I still have to see my contract out with Garmin," Wiggins said. "I didn't really have the choice to be honest

:wink:
  • I'm of the opinion there is a certain amount of posturing going on.
    Understandably, Wiggo doesn't want to be left high and dry in JV's bad books if it all goes wrong.
    Ultimately though, I think it will happen.
    Otherwise, I think Sky would have drawn a very public line under the whole saga by now.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Wait a minute, I thought he was going to Sky. L'Equipe said so, it must be true.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    Otherwise, I think Sky would have drawn a very public line under the whole saga by now.

Why should they? People are talking about the team because of someone not riding for them. Genius.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I don't like that man. He has attitude problems. So you came fourth, let's see you do that again. Also a win may be nice...he had zero last year apart from a few TTs and something called Jayco.

:roll:
  • surprise, surprise the frogs don't like Bradley :lol:

as well as hammering em on the track they're now getting beat by us on their own roads and don't like it...oh and wait a minute they don't like Cav either...coincidence that isn't it?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    onthefells wrote:
    surprise, surprise the frogs don't like Bradley :lol:

as well as hammering em on the track they're now getting beat by us on their own roads and don't like it...oh and wait a minute they don't like Cav either...coincidence that isn't it?

What?
  • iainf72
    onthefells wrote:
    surprise, surprise the frogs don't like Bradley :lol:

"The French" do like Wiggins
  • Bikr23
    Bikr23 Posts: 16
    the big surprise is that Garmin don't just let him go. He is obviously ungrateful for the support last year and was only a leader due to Christen Vande Velde sustaining an injury earlier in the season.

Personally it would be great to see him as an undisputed leader at Sky
  • The physical edition has a slightly different headline to this http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/de ... -de-france

Wiggo publicly says he was was mis-quoted, cyclingnews says he can listen to the audio if he likes and in the meantime Brad emails an apology to Lance who publicly mentions it on twitter (plays into his hands a little).

Not sure what he is apologizing about, anyway I quite like the non corporate athlete style, less formulaic press conferences and sponsor friendly soundbites and more what he thinks at any given moment.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    a_n_t wrote:
    ynyswen24 wrote:

I think you are being a bit harsh there CDV did quite a bit of work for him on the stage to Verbier and also the day he let Lance slip away on the Colombiere and dont forget on the TTT the Garmin team were down to 5 and the other four did a great ride for him.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Arguably you can say Wiggins will have far more help from Garmin that he'd get with Sky.