OT: Hangover cures?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Yep, I'm in the midst of full blown hangover.

Water,

Footlong steak and cheese subway, crisps and twix.

But the best ,the best hangover cure aside from 'me time' - proven as the final act releases endorphins into the brain - not practical at work...

IS:

Cherry coke!

what is your hangover cure.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    not drinking the night before
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • diazepam works miracles.
  • Irn-Bru, 1 can.
    Bacon and Black Pudding roll with brown sauce.

What hangover? :D
  • Stay Drunk
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    MTFU works for me

in all seriousness only a heavy whisky session gives me a hangover and that just makes me really lethargic

some water before going to bed is your friend
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • BK or McDs milkshake.

Or a bowl of ice cream, but that's harder to come by in London.

If all else fails, take a deep breath and a big swig from a pint. In that order.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Clever Pun
    Greg66 wrote:
    BK or McDs milkshake.

Or a bowl of ice cream, but that's harder to come by in London.

If all else fails, take a deep breath and a big swig from a pint. In that order.

the first one is a chewer that's for sure but after that the pints fly down
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Sugar and fat. So today it was a bacon roll and coffee, pizza & coke and lots of water. I suffer from pretty bad hangovers - throwing up at some stage the day after drinking isn't unknown. If I'd just stuck to one type of beer last night I'd be ok.
  • If it's a really awful one, and you're at work or have to actually do stuff, then isostar tablets, the soluble fizzy kind that you pop in a glass of water. They're a brilliant hangover cure.

Alternatives include: Purdeys silver, the non-fizzy lucozade. Fizzy = burps = bad.

Oh and loads of carbs and salty things.

If you're not too worried about the ol' skin cancer, then a sunbed can really help too.

It would be rather amusing for you to pop down to your local LA beach, DDD. I know that might be seen as slightly racist, for which I apologise, I don't mean it nastily and am aware from living with a nigerian girl called Ranti for 4 years that a tan is a universal thing... it would just be really amusing to see the look of confusion on the attendant's face.
  • Sleep
    Dioralyte (not sure if I splet that right - stuff for the squits)
    Lucozade Orange Energy and / or Coca Cola
    and +1 sugar & fat
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    My drinking days are behind me, but on the odd occasion:

-Loads of water
    -(if in a hotel) cooked breakfast, tea, toast, no fried slice evil evil yuck
    -(if not in a hotel) bacon sarnies, hula hoops and (on one occasion) a fruit scone with blackcurrant jam
    -more water (and tea and OJ)

I find white wine is least damaging for the old throbbing brain...cider evil

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    exercise is always a good hangover cure.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    plain water...lots of.

sugar always makes my hangovers worse...

actually just getting on with the day is better for me than lying around feeling sorry for myself too (is that the MTFU bit...??)

bacon, sausage and egg....

thats it.

when i stopped smoking, i realised that hangovers are not as bad when you don't smoke.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    DonDaddyD wrote:

If you can eat that and not throw up, you do not have a proper hangover.

Seriously, the best cure is more booze. If you have 20 pints on night 1, then 6 on day 2,
    you'll only get the hangover from the 6.

It only works for a couple of days, then you start shaking and it's not so easy to sleep.
    exercise.png
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    amnezia wrote:

Cripes, there's always one riteous reply! Why not add that he could go to Church and pray for forgiveness as well? :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • TheStone wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

If you can eat that and not throw up, you do not have a proper hangover.

Seriously, the best cure is more booze. If you have 20 pints on night 1, then 6 on day 2,
    you'll only get the hangover from the 6.

It only works for a couple of days, then you start shaking and it's not so easy to sleep.

This reminds me of my university days, playing rugby and doing all the associated boozing. I lived with 4 other rugby-playing girls, and we did our fair share of drinking, then drinking again the next day, and the day after that. Beer o'clock rapidly slipped from 6pm to 4pm to 2pm to midday to (at its worst) 10am. All-nighters obviously didn't count under the beer o'clock rules. It was 'necessary' in order to work... honest...

It's amazing I have a liver at all really. Thank god for 8-week terms.
  • DonDaddyD
    I

It would be rather amusing for you to pop down to your local LA beach, DDD. I know that might be seen as slightly racist, for which I apologise, I don't mean it nastily and am aware from living with a nigerian girl called Ranti for 4 years that a tan is a universal thing... it would just be really amusing to see the look of confusion on the attendant's face.

:lol::lol::lol: So sweet.

You lived with a Nigerian girl called Ranti... Oh the fun I could have with that....

As for tan, I don't tan... well I do but it would have to be bloddy hot... I don't burn or have ever got sunburn... the brotha's we be strong.

Heat of anykind is like a hangover multiplier. I'm still hungry after my footlong subway and could do with nother can of coke...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    isotonic type sport drinks
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    I find whiskey is the solution, never get a hangover on it.

Anything else however I get an appaling hangover which nothing will cure :(
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • Clever Pun
    SecretSam wrote:
    amnezia wrote:

Cripes, there's always one riteous reply! Why not add that he could go to Church and pray for forgiveness as well? :lol:

they're right, getting out and doing something will sort you right out

Swimming is excellent for this
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • pllb
    pllb Posts: 158
    this is going to sound a tiny bit odd maybe but what works for me is a Prawn & Mayo sandwich (M&S is best but Tesco/Sainsburys will do at a push) with plain hula hoops or ready salted crisps. :D
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    A plate sized MTFU pill then get yourself back to the scene of the crime, failing that 30 min balls out blast on the bike.

Simples
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • a good session on the MTB back in the day when I was about your age.

used to take bike to mates house get rather drunk crash at mates house next day groan a bit, drink tea, (lots of) roll down to another mates once assembled head off on to the hills once we'd struggled up a few near vertical climbs and possibly held on to the ground after said hills it seemed to burn off the hangover.

that was 10 years ago now I just suffer!
  • itboffin wrote:
    failing that 30 min balls out blast on the bike.

Simples

Hang on, are we back on the "going commando" thread?

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    don't drink so much?

In all seriousness, I have never known hula hoops not to deal with nausea
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    linsen wrote:
    don't drink so much?

In all seriousness, I have never known hula hoops not to deal with nausea

Please miss I was good and went home :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • linsen
    well done

have a gold star.

In fact, have two
  • DonDaddyD
    linsen wrote:
    don't drink so much?

Bah, You'll be visiting the dentists chair on the 18th...
    Food Chain number = 4

• linsen
    what's that?

I don't get drunk as a rule. I become rather gobby and then fall asleep in a corner. Not good for anyone. As it is I can speak my mind and laugh heartily whilst completely sober so alcohol doesn't benefit me greatly. And sadly I am getting too old to cope with a hangover.
  • DonDaddyD
    linsen wrote:
    what's that?.

Who teaches the teacher?
    Food Chain number = 4