Unhappy with Rockshox and Merlin

2»

Comments

• Got my SIDs from Merlin. VERY happy with them...

No RS box, but came with a manual and pushloc, as Andy said, they are NEVER fitted when you buy them, it's a piece of piss job and a trained Monkey could do it. Re: the manual, you can get all the info needed from the back of the fork leg, and from RS's tech download webby. To get them for the price you did is a result, and the fact that you don't have a manual or the 'proper' RS box.... I think I could live with that :wink:
  • Mad Max
    Mad Max Posts: 124
    I have been riding mountain bikes for 20 years now, all diferent disiplines from trials to downhill. So as you can imagine I have been in a lot of bike shops and purchased a lot of bikes.

About three months ago my partner and myself drove to merlins premises to see a few bikes and talk about what they could do for me as I had my heart set on a top end Commencal. I had a grand and a half in my pocket and wanted to put the same on finance, however the staff were rude, unhelpful, arrogant, ignorant and just were not interested in selling anything to us, It was like i stepped into the twilight zone. Bearing in mind we had travelled a 60 mile round trip to visit this shop. Even one member of staff looked shocked about how I was treated. Been talking to various people at trail centres that I have visited and it seems to be a common theme.

I know lots of mountain bike enthusiasts and would recommend that they stayed away.

A couple of weeks later i walked into a different retailer and they bit my hand off.
    There loss, never again.
    RETRO IS THE FUTURE.
  • lock1981
    lock1981 Posts: 546
    same here bad experience with them as a bove but a lot of over the phone talk

still havent received my manual got my bike in march lol

and my forks were chipped when i recieved my bike!!!!! sucks

there advice... paint it in with nail varnish!!
  • Hi All,

Unfortunately I've been so busy this weekend I've only just got round to having another go at setup and sorting this remote lockout. I am fairly mechanically competent, I cut the steerer down to size, refitted star fangled nut and put fork on bike with new headset. Despite all that I still can't get this pushloc thing working. I've followed the instructions recommended earlier, but they're a bit basic:

"Pull the cable through the cable housing and the cable stop hole on the crown. Slide the housing ferrules into lever cable stop and crown cable stop. Wrap and pull cable tightly around spool and under cable set-screw. Tighten cable-set screw with a 2mm hex wrench to secure cable (tighten until snug)"

If anyone can help I'll try and post pictures. but I really don't see what I could be doing wrong, I've installed the cable with the pushloc lever in the open position and put enough tension on it so that when in the closed position the cable set screw is as close to the cable stop hole in the crown as it can be. still they don't lock.

Just to answer some of the comments earlier, I said I was unhappy rather than completely peeved at the two. From my point of view I've got a product which cost me a lot of money which doesn't work and have had little help from Merlin and it doesn't seem to be simple to contact RockShox, nor have I yet found particularly good instructions from them on how to install/troubleshoot a component of their product.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    is the fork end set up like this?

http://www.pitt.edu/~klsst92/poplock.jpg

I can't say I had any problem getting mine set up.

Regarding merlin, when the forks more or less locked out after 6 months (winter admittedly, but with plenty of TLC), they took them back and serviced them for nothing, so I'm a fan
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    When you say don't lock, has the adjuster spun fully around?

If the forks have been stored upsdie down (as likely when delivered), the travel needs to be cycled through 20-30 times so the oil goes back to the correct place or they will not lock.

Also the first 20mm or so does not lock as it is not designed to so so.
  • bike-a-swan - That looks like the version in the youtube video which is 2008, the version I've got is a little different

Supersonic, you might have something there.

Either way I've just discovered that if I move it another 2mm ish it does seem to lock the travel down, problme now is the lever doesn't lock/click in place so I have to hold it down, think I might be able to get it with some fine adjustment.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, they can be fiddly! Motion Control dampers are designed to have 20mm of free travel to aid traction, then locks - and the Floodgate adjsuter then sets how much force is neded to break that lock. But as above, storage can disrupt that until the oil is pumped back into the damper.

I am still pretty disgusted with Merlin though - terrible excuse!
  • Yay!!!!!! Got it. I guess these things just work at a far finer tolerance than I was aware, 1-2mm one way and the lever won't click down, 1-2mm the other and the forks won't lock down. I don't suppose there's some fine adjustment screw somewhere I haven't noticed (or isn't in any of the instructions), like you get with your gears?

Anywho, hopefully I'll have the same luck with the setup.