Unhappy with Rockshox and Merlin

GilesB1
GilesB1 Posts: 7
edited December 2009 in MTB general
Hi All,

I'm partly just posting this to moan/warn and partly looking for help if anyone can provide it.

I recently bought some RockShox Sid Team 2010 forks (as recommended by What Mountain Bike) from Merlin cycles. They were delivered without the remote lockout installed and without a manual or instructions of any sort. I have contacted Merlin and was told I would be sent a manual, but it's been well over a week and I've not had anything.

Looking at SRAM (RockShox) website I can't find any instructions on installing the remote lockout (except some for a 2008 version that doesn't look anywhere near the same as the lockout bit I have). I've also not found any up to date instructions on setting the fork up, I've tried to set it up using generic instructions I found online but not having much luck.

So far I've not got the fork to work any better than the very abused pair of cheap Marzocchi bombers that I took off the bike in the first place.

So that's almost £400 spent on a poor experience of Melin and RockShox combined.

Can anyone provide any help?

Giles

Comments

• Is it the pushloc version?

installation guide here;

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/PUSHLOC%20INSTRUCTIONS%20REVB.pdf
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • DamonC
    DamonC Posts: 263
    There are videos on YouTube on how to do it from SRAM
    Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Look in the FAQ's for RS Dual air set up info. and the rest is personal preference.

fitting the push lock aint hard, in fact it is the same as for fitting the poplock.

manuals are downloadable fron the Sram website and yes they are a bit generic.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks The Spiderman, I didn't find those instructions, not sure why. They seem to cover it though also seem to describe exactly what I guessed at in the end and I didn't get it working. Will take it all apart again later and have another go with the instructions to hand.

I'll also have another go at setting it up using different instructions and if it still doesn't work hopefully I'll be able to articulate better what bit doesn't seem to be working (it's been a week since I was trying it all out, was waiting for the instructions to arrive before looking elsewhere).

Got another reply from Merlin, they seem to be saying that all forks supplied by them should be fitted by professionals and that manuals aren't provided because either they or RockShox don't want to be liable for people fitting the forks badly themselves. Sounds rubbish to me. I don't trust my nearest bike shop to be any more competent at fitting them than me, guess if all else fails I could give them a try.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Did you get a rockshox box with your forks?

You should have a manual supplied with the forks, even if it doesn't contain instructions for fitting the pop-loc.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It's Merlin, so there's a fair chance they're OEM.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    bails87 wrote:
    It's Merlin, so there's a fair chance they're OEM.

^this. Was a starnut already fitted? If so I would say they're OEM, they stripped it off another bike. Nothing wrong with that but this does seem to be how Merlin are providing some of the great deals that they do (and SID teams for <400 is a great deal) If you want more attentive service, use your LBS and pay their prices....

I have the SID Teams with pushlock and they're great. The suggested + and - pressures are printed on the fork leg (bloody genius that) so make sure those are set within range for your weight. A slightly higher neg pressure is supposed to make the fork more active
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • No box, no manual.

Even if I can sort it out when I have another go later, I think it's extremely poor of Merlin to sell a fork with part of it not installed (i.e. the remote lockout) and no instructions for how to fit it. Part of me wants to send them back as at the moment I could just assume the forks are faulty, the remote lockout isn't working, they dive through the travel far too easily and the rebound damping seems to be stuck permanently on full (they pack down very easily).
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Were you advised by Merlin that they were OE unboxed forks? Or were they sold "As new, boxed"?

I assume you've had some use out of them now, given your description.

I recommend speaking to Fisher Outdoor (The Rockshox distributor in the UK) on
    01727 798340. Merlin should not be selling OE product as new.
  • OE forks should only be sold as part of a complete bicycle or a frameset package (Frame and fork) as the serial number on the frame and fork are linked

if Merlin is selling OE forks into the retail channel, technically speaking Rockshox do not have to offer any warranty on your fork - it would be down to the retailer (Merlin) to bear the costs of any warranty work that may be needed in the future

Fisher Outdoor Leisure would be interested to know about this, as the forks are not being sourced through Fishers but from a "grey" source

all aftermarket forks should come boxed, in Rockshox packaging, with a Rockshox fork manual specific to your fork, and all fittings (maxle if 20mm, poploc remote, etc.)
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    My Rebas came from Merlin, boxed with all the paperwork, fittings, instructions etc. Personally, I can't fault them.
  • My Rebas came from Merlin, boxed with all the paperwork, fittings, instructions etc. Personally, I can't fault them.

+1, exactly my vast experience of them too...
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    edited December 2009
    OK, the boxed, manualled out the wazzoo SID I bought (not from Merlin) still didn't have the pushloc assembled onto the fork on arrival so first-off don't blame Merlin for that.

as for selling OEM stuff as "new" I'm less sure about the wrongness of that. Even though RS may disavow the warranty and Merlin could get static from the importer, the fork is new and, anyway, the retailer takes the responsibility (look for many other threads on warranty issues, your contract is with Merlin, not RS) My recollection though is that Merlin are usually pretty up front at least with forks because they come with cut steerers

just a Question; you didn't say whether you set the pressures or not? They'll not come through the post with the right pressures for you (sorry if that's patronising, it's not intended to be but is a simple explanation for the problems you've been having with the fork action)

At the end of the day, if they're unused / unmarked etc etc you have the right to send them back without giving a reason within one month of purchase (but the postage is on you then, I'm pretty sure). Merlin should explain that to you in their order confirmation / on their website, in fact they're legally obliged to do so. So if you're unhappy for any reason (and clearly you are) then pack em up and send them back.

but, tbh, IMO you got a good deal on a great fork and if you're not confident to fit a pushloc correctly without instructions then perhaps Merlin are right and you should have gone to your LBS in the first place. Setting the crown race correctly is much more difficult not to mention vastly more dangerous if it goes wrong. Sorry, but there you are.

/edit. here's the link to merlin's return policy page. they state 14 days from receipt for returns (I'm still pretty sure the law says 28 days but I could be wrong). they say that after 14 days they may charge 10% restocking, which implies that they would still accept them.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • My Reba's were from Merlin, they came with a star fangled nut and you could clearly see that a lower headset race had been on at some point....

Simply not bothered. like said if you don't have a technical skills to fit them then got to your LBS and pay their prices... The RRP on those Reba's is well over 400 quid, I paid 225 so something has to give there. I was actually very happy a star nut came with them, saved me having to get it fitted or bodge it myself.

Grey stock IMHO is great in more ways than one. No wasted packaging and cheap. Of course distributors don't want grey stock, it costs them money and saves it for you and I, the environment is also a little happier.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    OK, the boxed, manualled out the wazzoo SID I bought (not from Merlin) still didn't have the pushloc assembled onto the fork on arrival so first-off don't blame Merlin for that.

Mine wasn't fitted, but the instructions were included, so I could easily fit them. (although I've fitted them with the bar actuator upside down as I find it works better). Also you have to adjust the cable tension after a couple of rides as the cable stretches and stops the lockout working.
    My recollection though is that Merlin are usually pretty up front at least with forks because they come with cut steerers

Mine had the cut steerer (cut to the exact size I needed which was a bonus), but still came in the original packaging.
    My Reba's were from Merlin, they came with a star fangled nut and you could clearly see that a lower headset race had been on at some point....

I had to fit the star-nut myself, I would have welcomed one already fitted though. Also, no marks on the steerer tube to indicate a crown race had been fitted.
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    Don't think I have ever had a set of forks with the lock out fitted.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    edited December 2009
    They were delivered without the remote lockout installed

The manual excuse is poor, OEM fork or not. But did it specifically say it had a remote unit fitted?

I also don't see why Rockshox have played any 'poor' part here, it seems purely the retailer. They sell you the fork.
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian wrote:

I am talking about the handle bar remote lever here.
  • Sarnian wrote:
    Sarnian wrote:

Hahaha.. I thought you were being scarcastic! Clearly if you buy just a new set of forks the poploc won't be fitted, as from memory the fork extras don't specify a set of handle bars... :wink:
  • also be careful with oem forks, alot of them will lose alu steares and so on for steal equivelants(which i have seen) this adds alot of weight to an item
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian wrote:
    Sarnian wrote:

Hahaha.. I thought you were being scarcastic! Clearly if you buy just a new set of forks the poploc won't be fitted, as from memory the fork extras don't specify a set of handle bars... :wink:

Haha, It was not until reading It back that I realised he might of meant the the fork crown side of It :oops: :D
  • Reading this and had a look at the Merlin site and it doesnt state that forks come with the remote fitted just that it is an option.

Instead of getting hept up about it all, try putting a few pics of how you have it set up I am sure if you ask you will be pointed in the right direction if its wrong.

Air pressures should be printed on the leg. They are on my Recon and Reba.

You have got a lovely fork for a bargain price and if it costs a few more bob to get it going its still going to be cheap. Although the user manual should really have been included
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Would've thougt there'd be a manual, but bearing in mind that not everybody will want to actually use the poploc it makes some sense for it not to come fitted- didn't on my Rebas from Merlin.
  • supersonic
    However is the fork is specified to have the poploc fitted, then the damper has an addition spring which means the compression damper is always at minimum. Forks should not be sold like that, that is for sure.

Guides on RS dual air set up in the FAQ.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    They never come with the Poploc fitted.
  • supersonic
    Do they come with a loose poploc though, that is what I mean really. What I am saying is that a retailer should not sell a fork that is designed to take poploc with no poploc at all.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    The poploc comes in the box with the fork, in my experience in a bag of its own inside the box. It's so you can trim to cable to the length you need. The fork works without the lever fitted just minus the lockout.
  • supersonic
    That is the main point of Motion Control though, the adjustable comp damping (which is also why I despise standard poplocs)
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Personally after a bad experience with Merlin I wouldnt go near them again.

have a look at the distance selling regulations if you want your money back. Heres a brief explanation but if you google it you will find out more.

Under the distance selling regulations, you are quite within your rights to change your mind at any time within the first seven days, return the goods and get a full refund. This means without financial penalty of any kind – such as a cancellation charge or a ‘restocking’ fee. The supplier must also refund any delivery charges paid by you, and any other costs related to the contract. Refunds must be made within 30 days from cancellation, whether or not the goods have been sent back. Any related credit agreements will also cease to exist.

You may be required to pay to return the goods, but you must have been informed of this as part of the pre-contractual information. if the goods are faulty, then under Sale of Goods, the supplier will always bear the cost of returning them.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • I just got my SID team from Merlin and couldn't be more happy as they were a bargain at £325. Some places are selling these at over £500. Came with a bagged Pushlock and manual but no box.

Just need to get them fitted now.