Bealach Events

13»

Comments

• Contrary to rumours spread by the organisers, it is not only Applecross CC and community who have a problem with the Mor event, it is the communities from start to finish along the route apart from Sheildaig. You are exactly right in saying that it is up to the organisers to put things right, unfortunately after a number of approaches from various quarters they have agreed to measures and then totally ignored all reasonable input. The organisers will not listen now and in fact never have in the past. The ambulance incident was a classic example of their arrogant attitude toward the local communities and the current act of exceding the 400 maximum entry is a demonstration of their disregard for Highland Council who have tried to reach a compromise in the organisers favour. The organisers entry on their website following meeting with HC,Police and CC's was totally disrespectfull to all three public bodies, they did remove it after 24 hours but not before copies were made.
  • They had circa 620 entries last year, 583 participated, details are on their website.
  • Tomcrom wrote:
    Contrary to rumours spread by the organisers, it is not only Applecross CC and community who have a problem with the Mor event, it is the communities from start to finish along the route apart from Sheildaig.

So for the Beag event its just Applecross CC that have the problem, right?
  • No,not just Applecross, affects those all along the route of both Mor and Beag,also those who have through neccesity to travel around area on a daily basis,medics,carers,post,etc. A number of people within Sheildaig area also have reservations, it is only the CC that seem to be happy with situation.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    What confuses me is that the Fred Whitton thrives in the Lakes. This has 1000 entries on much busier, narrower and more tortuous roads. As far as I am aware there have never been any sustained objections.On the contrary, on the occasions I have ridden it the locals have been out in force to support the event.
    The Dragon ride in South wales has 3000+ entries (albeit on wider roads), but again seems to be broadly welcomed by the locals. Is it something in the Scottish water that leads to local objections?
  • Nickwill wrote:
    What confuses me is that the Fred Whitton thrives in the Lakes. This has 1000 entries on much busier, narrower and more tortuous roads. As far as I am aware there have never been any sustained objections.On the contrary, on the occasions I have ridden it the locals have been out in force to support the event.
    The Dragon ride in South wales has 3000+ entries (albeit on wider roads), but again seems to be broadly welcomed by the locals. Is it something in the Scottish water that leads to local objections?

if you look at the area it has a lot less options in terms of roads, the welsh valleys and Breacon Beacons have more roads, and thus more options, the lakes also tend to have more options which may go some way to explain why it seems to be non issue else where.
  • Tomcrom wrote:
    They had circa 620 entries last year, 583 participated, details are on their website.
    I suddenly doubt everything you say. Last years results are here : http://www.handsonevents.co.uk/Events/B ... ndex2.html

If you look at the entrant numbers you will see they are non consecutive. There were 378 starters on the day, of which 32 did not finish (dnf).

Facts please.
    Why the name? Like the Hobbit I don't shave my legs
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nickwill wrote:

if you look at the area it has a lot less options in terms of roads, the welsh valleys and Breacon Beacons have more roads, and thus more options, the lakes also tend to have more options which may go some way to explain why it seems to be non issue else where.

Don't think Im gonna agree with you there...Ive been up around Applecross a good few times over the years....and its bloody empty!....full stop!.

The Lakes?......Smaller roads...all the famous passes are chock a block with tourists - ALL THE TIME!....1000 times busier than the Applecross...and thats fact!..and with twice as much cyclists on the FWC it makes for a far more dangerous event!....still no complaints from all the locals?...and thats also with the Lakeland Loop sportive a month before?

Cannot beleive the standpoint for a paltry 2 days cycling around empty world up there?.......

Tomcrom...Ive read your entries and TBH Im embarrased you are a fellow cyclist from my native Scotland...along with the 'Tacks on the road malarky' on the Etape Caledonia last year it shows how the actions of a few can damage the whole areas reputation....a disgrace.

But you may have won....for the past few years the Bealach Event has sold out in hours....its been open for ages now and it still hasn't sold out yet....such a shame for a great event...and people like you TOMCROM are responsible for the decline of the event...hope you are happy now?

As far as Im concerned you can all live in that solitude bubble up there and have it all to yourselves....doubt I'll ever venture up there ever again..great shame!....takes me 5 hours from Bo'ness to drive up there and uptil now it all seemed worth it...not anymore with the resentment shown....I can be at Perthshire,Ochils,Lammermuirs,Dumfries etc in 1 hour.... the Lakes,York Dales or North Pennines in 2 hours....that'll do me.

Sickened.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Richard

Do not let the attitude of the minority out you off cycling there. I plan to visit the area again this year and want to take Alison with me to show her what is all the fuss about. This storm in a tea cup will blow over but do agree that its put off a lot of entrants.

The area is too nice not to cycle every now and again and all the locals we met up there were grateful for cyclists and their contributions to the tourist economy.
    Brian B.
  • Do I come up with the family and spend a few days in the area as I did last year 'displacing' other tourists who were not cycling, or do I keep my English pounds South of the border where I would be less likely to put my life at risk from people whom seem intent stopping by any means cycling on the Highlands roads? I loved last years event it was well organised and it caused me to revisit Applecross later in the year.

It was my intention this year to cycle in the Highlands, the Peak District, the Breacon Beacons, Dartmoor and the Alps. I hope I still can.

I don't know if a few of the locals are aware but the only section of the road that was closed was the pass, and then only for 2 hours people who claim that the road closures resulted in tragic consequences do not do themselves or the community they purport to represent any favours by dissemenating such transparent falsehoods on a public forum.
  • The north coast road was illegaly closed, this was also confirmed by two of the support crew who were giving cover, they were particularly annoyed that some motorists were ignoring the road closed sign, they were convinced that the road was indeed part of the closed section. The Bealach was officially closed for 3 hours not two as you state. If you read the thread correctly you would note that the illegal north road closure could have resulted in tragic consequences not the Bealach. Not transparent falsehood,fact.
  • Aye, the sheep pooh was a bit of a joke here as well. But look at it this way, There was a Dr/mother who had just arrived and was concerned about the national press stories re e-coli. She was unaware of crofting laws which are incompatible with todays health and hygene expectations and the CC talked. Now the Dr/mother has emigrated,the crofter has retired and there is no sheep pooh at the school,maybe by just talking the CC helped....certainly provided entertainment.

Dr I feel you are slightly disengeuos saying the safety fears are just a cover for nimbyism. It could have been a way out for everyone. The CC is sen to be trying to do something, the organisers comply at very little extra cost, the grumpies who don't want the events go home muttering (thats all they are going to do anyway) and the events continue.

Boys, boys Apx is not empty, far from it. Estimates range from 85-100,000 visitors per/annum. One day in June the Inn served 698 food tabs,(7 bed hotel) not an isolated busy day but it goes on for eight months. The organisers offered the start of the Beag to Apx every second year but even the hotelier turned it down saying she could not cope with the additional trade. There mas a mobile kitchen being used as a prep room just to keep up. We stopped holding our Seafood and Music Festival for the same reasons.

Its still a great place to live in and cycle through.
  • RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Nickwill wrote:

Don't think Im gonna agree with you there...Ive been up around Applecross a good few times over the years....and its bloody empty!....full stop!.

The Lakes?......Smaller roads...all the famous passes are chock a block with tourists - ALL THE TIME!....1000 times busier than the Applecross...and thats fact!..and with twice as much cyclists on the FWC it makes for a far more dangerous event!....still no complaints from all the locals?...and thats also with the Lakeland Loop sportive a month before?

Cannot beleive the standpoint for a paltry 2 days cycling around empty world up there?.......

Tomcrom...Ive read your entries and TBH Im embarrased you are a fellow cyclist from my native Scotland...along with the 'Tacks on the road malarky' on the Etape Caledonia last year it shows how the actions of a few can damage the whole areas reputation....a disgrace.

But you may have won....for the past few years the Bealach Event has sold out in hours....its been open for ages now and it still hasn't sold out yet....such a shame for a great event...and people like you TOMCROM are responsible for the decline of the event...hope you are happy now?

As far as Im concerned you can all live in that solitude bubble up there and have it all to yourselves....doubt I'll ever venture up there ever again..great shame!....takes me 5 hours from Bo'ness to drive up there and uptil now it all seemed worth it...not anymore with the resentment shown....I can be at Perthshire,Ochils,Lammermuirs,Dumfries etc in 1 hour.... the Lakes,York Dales or North Pennines in 2 hours....that'll do me.

Sickened.

From Applecross there are two roads, nothing else, hence the fact that a ambo was using the road,

this no probably has some of the issue.

I suspect if the road wasn't closed and they got around to properly talking to the locals all the issues would go.

have to say the road can't be that quiet if they needed to close it.

ie I suspect the blame is at the organisers doorstep. I don't think any of the issues couldn't be smoothed over.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I do wonder about the need for road closures. These don't happen anywhere other than a couple of event in the Highlands. All the other British sportives function perfectly well on open roads.
    Perhaps if these didn't happen there would be less friction!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Anyone who did the event in 2009 in the wind and fog will probably agree that the road closure over the Bealach itself is without question the safest option.
    More problems but still living....
  • The section of road closed rises to around 2,000 feet and is one of the highest passes in the UK, it is a very narrow single track road with precipitous drops and very tight bends along most of it's 11 mile length. It makes sense on grounds of safety to have this section closed, the organisers unfortunately ignore safety measures on the remaining 80 miles which also has many single track sections with precipitous drops and severe blind bends. Perhaps the organisers could place a few signs warning cyclists that there are others on the road,likewise to warn motorists that a cycling event is taking place and they are likely to meet oncoming cyclists would not go amiss. Marshalls at some of the more dangerous points would also be extremely helpfull, this for the safety of both cyclists and other road users,not too much to ask to resolve the problems.Significantly these measures were agreed upon by the organisers at the meeting prior to the last Mor event, they ignored them and carried on as before, this to me shows a lack of concern for all apart from themselves. The safety of all road users should be paramount at all times but more particularly on events such as this.