Bealach Events

Comments

• fixiebob
    fixiebob Posts: 222
    Tomcrom wrote:
    No don't own B&B in Applecross but know of three in Kinlochewe who were left empty thus denying others accommodation. The discourteous attitude of the minority sadly spoil it for the rest.

"there is an ambulance in lochcarron".
    Sorry, omitted this one.
    Lets not forget that the organisers are supposedly providing cover for the event, not totally relying on the stretched local medical services. It appears they are not prepared to pay Red Cross to provide cover but would rather do it on the cheap. Red Cross gave excellent cover on the first event where they were deployed to effectively recover a seriously injured participating cyclist from the rockfield on the sharp right turn on the Bealach down side. Perhaps the main problem lies with the organisers quest to become rich quick.

I am treasurer of a small triathlon club and we pay to have red cross at all our events it costs us around £130 and they do an excellent job.
    I did my first sportive last year at Ullapool they had the coastguard provide first aid cover and I must of seen them at least 10 times during event.
    On the subject of hi viz vest I will be stowing mine away at start of climb as I would like a photo in my local club shirt and not looking like a builder on way to work.
  • Tomcrom wrote:
    No don't own B&B in Applecross but know of three in Kinlochewe who were left empty thus denying others accommodation. The discourteous attitude of the minority sadly spoil it for the rest..

How is it possible to say with any certainty that cyclists not appearing was the sole reason for the empty beds? And why should the undoubted discourtesy of those few reflect upon other individuals or groups with whom they have no known connection?

'No Shows' are a common occurance in the accommodation industry, but I am unaware of another sector of the business that would so willingly and wantonly vilify a segment of it's market. It is not just poor business management, it is, quite frankly, discourteous. IMHO
  • Tomcrom
    Tomcrom Posts: 21
    Cyclopath says; "How is it possible to say with any certainty that cyclists not appearing was the sole reason for the empty beds? And why should the undoubted discourtesy of those few reflect upon other individuals or groups with whom they have no known connection?

'No Shows' are a common occurance in the accommodation industry, but I am unaware of another sector of the business that would so willingly and wantonly vilify a segment of it's market. It is not just poor business management, it is, quite frankly, discourteous. IMHO"
    The participants who did not fill the spaces had in fact made bookings for the event. In our case they ordered dinner which we serve at 8 pm. At around 7.30 pm we received a call from our intended guests informing us that they would not be coming as weather was not going to be very good, when informed that we had prepared food for them the answer we received was"tough". Other B&B's were simply left in the lurch without even the courtesy of a telephone call, they held the rooms as they expected their guests to arrive. We in fact filled up with and fed French tourists who were unable to find accommodation in the area, this was sheer luck on our part.

Perhaps were the organisers to hold the event in early October outwith the main tourist season they would have the pleasure of good weather, quieter roads and also put something into the area. As things stand at the moment all the organisers are achieving is animosity toward the cycling fraternity. The Bealach has got the makings of an excellent event, unfortunately it will not achieve this status under the current disorganised organisation. During the course of the year and indeed for decades before this event was introduced, cyclist have enjoyed and been welcomed on the Bealach round,are we to see this spoiled by organisers whose only interest is to make a few bob with no regard for the local populace, I sincerely hope not.

In answer to "Fixiebobs" statement. He was obviously not aware that the Coastguard stood in at the last minute, after negotiation, due to the original crew pulling out. With regard to the Hi-Viz vests, this was the fault of the organisers, had they adhered to the agreements made at the meeting prior to the last event rather than ignore them this would not have been insisted upon.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Would the B&B owner(s) in question hate ALL tourists if a few were to cancel a booking at the last minute? Would they then suggest that ALL tourists should stay away? While I agree that what these cyclists allegedly did was bad form, I don't think any normal person would then start saying ALL cyclists are bad news (unless off course they have been poisoned by the misinformation sprouted at the community council meetings).
    More problems but still living....
  • Tomcrom
    The Bealachs are the only events that this unfortunate situation arises, this due to the fact that it has occured on each event every year, the organisers have been approached and made aware of problems regarding no shows for accommodation, their response, nothing to do with us.I agree it is not their problem,however they are the people who allegedly organise the event and I feel they should accept some responsibility. The Bealachs in fact cause more problems than they are worth with regard to bringing business to the area, as stated previously, wrong time of year to hold these events due to being at height of busiest time of year. If the organisers would listen they would realise that by holding the event in early October they would have the advantage of better weather and quieter roads.The first part of October over the past 10 years or so have been in most cases warmer and drier than September and the mid summer months, surely this would be the common sense time to hold what under proper organisation should be one of the most prestigious classic cycling events in the country.

Not quite sure what you mean by being poisoned by misinformation, to date I have only stated fact. Perhaps were the organisers to adhere to the agreements which they made with the Highland Council,Police and local councils there would be less animosity toward the events. It is a fact that they illegally closed the north Applecross coast road to vehicles, I confirm this as an attempt was made to deny me access, needless to say their attempt was ignored.A number of tourists were also denied passage to holiday lets along coast.Can it be assumed that amaferanga condones these actions, if he does he would sadly appear to be one of the minority who are giving our sport a bad name.
  • why don't the bb's /hotels get a credit card down payment? Cancel with less than 24 hours pay 50% deposit less than 48 25% pure business surely. The one year i left England with people telling me not to go because weather was bad down here, up there breath taking when i got to my digs. Their loss if they pay and don't turn up.
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • Tomcrom
    ledburyloafer;

Not all B&B's have a credit card facility. People work on trust in this part of the world,unfortunately some are too ignorant to respect this fact.

October still best weather and quieter,perhaps bikers could inform disorganised organisers.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Tomcrom wrote:
    The Bealachs are the only events that this unfortunate situation arises, this due to the fact that it has occured on each event every year, the organisers have been approached and made aware of problems regarding no shows for accommodation, their response, nothing to do with us.I agree it is not their problem,however they are the people who allegedly organise the event and I feel they should accept some responsibility. The Bealachs in fact cause more problems than they are worth with regard to bringing business to the area, as stated previously, wrong time of year to hold these events due to being at height of busiest time of year. If the organisers would listen they would realise that by holding the event in early October they would have the advantage of better weather and quieter roads.The first part of October over the past 10 years or so have been in most cases warmer and drier than September and the mid summer months, surely this would be the common sense time to hold what under proper organisation should be one of the most prestigious classic cycling events in the country.

I'm sure you'd still find something to complain about.
    Tomcrom wrote:
    Not quite sure what you mean by being poisoned by misinformation, to date I have only stated fact.

I was referring to the nonsense sprouted by expert Tim Daplyn regarding e.g. real cyclists disapproving of sportives.
    Tomcrom wrote:
    It is a fact that they illegally closed the north Applecross coast road to vehicles, I confirm this as an attempt was made to deny me access, needless to say their attempt was ignored.A number of tourists were also denied passage to holiday lets along coast.Can it be assumed that amaferanga condones these actions, if he does he would sadly appear to be one of the minority who are giving our sport a bad name.

So lets get this straight - you knew there was a cycling event on along the coast road and presumably that it'd be much safer for all involved if you didn't drive along the road during the few hours when hundreds of cyclists were on it, but you HAD to make that journey? That speaks volumes for how little support you have for the event. NIMBY eh?

Of course I don't condone illegal road closures, but on the one day a year that there's a cycling event on I don't think its a big deal for local residents to not use the road for a few hours. I actually don't see how the marshals could have stopped the cars anyway, I don't remember seeing any road block, but I do remember seeing numerous cars on the road. Are you sure they didn't just ask the motorists not to use the road?

Are you Tim Daplyn?
    More problems but still living....
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Tomcrom wrote:
    It is a fact that they illegally closed the north Applecross coast road to vehicles
    Presumably you informed the police and they've arrested someone for this?
  • if a event is getting peoples backs up, you need to ask why, since this doesn't seem to have closed roads, 6 to 7 cars a hour is a car every ten mins which for a single track road is rather busy even the surrey lanes aren't that busy.

I'm always rather cynical about the benefits any event brings.

any how clearly they (organisers) need to work out a way to calm things down. the fact there have been heated meetings suggests they are not at present.
  • Having done this event last year, being more used to the Surrey Lanes like Roger it was stunning. The welcome in Sheldaig was great , the enthusiasm in Applecross was also welcome having gone through all the different weather conditions on the climb.

It was then a shock to find the reaction and problems faced by people on the following week a little further south doing the caledonia.

It is quite clear that a small minority of people in the Highlands are very anti cyclist and against attracting tourists/visitors to their rural idyll. They are narrow minded and their opinions should be ignored. Having grown up in Devon which has a traditional love/hate relationship with Grockels I understand but I won't let these people put me off enjoying great events.

I will be back in May doing it again bringing tourist money to the area. To all the bike haters on the peninsula bend over as I pass so I can shove my high viz vest straight up your #*$% :wink:
  • Dr U Idh
    Dr U Idh Posts: 324
    Lazywheeler - you are rather missing the point. You're not bringing "extra" tourist money to the area if you're displacing other tourists at a busy time of year.
  • fixiebob
    fixiebob Posts: 222
    There seems to be a lot of bad feeling about this event or is it just a few moaners.
    I cycled the route last year with a friend around june time but the road was very busy and I felt i was holding up traffic, this is why I entered both Beelach events so I could climb traffic free.
    I stayed in the Strathcarron Inn which i can thoroughly recommend, but if I feel that the event is not welcomed in May I will withdraw from Septembers event.
    I have been really looking forward to this sportive and now wish I never looked at this thread as it has dampened my enthusiasm somewhat.
  • Tomcrom
    amaferanga:
    Some of us have work which has to be carried out at specific times,this instance was one such occasion, and yes I did have to make that journey, failure to make it could have resulted in tragic consequences. Perhaps you should realise that life does go on even during cycling events. There was an official type Road Closed sign placed illegaly at the junction.Some of us in the past have been very supportive of these events, sadly the organisers have a similar attitude to yours and are rapidly losing local support.

Who is Tim Daplyn, never heard of him.
  • Dr U Idh
    Hmm. Since the roads aren't closed, I could always come along at the same time as the event and ride without a hi-viz vest as I'm not actually a participant?
  • Dr U Idh
    Hmm. Since the roads aren't closed, I could always come along at the same time as the event and ride without a hi-viz vest as I'm not actually a participant?
  • Tomcrom
    Dr U Idh,
    Very responsible sort of person Dr U?, this is exactly the attitude I have been refering too.I assume you would be proud of the fact that your action could probably put the last nail in the coffin for this event, I thought you wanted it to continue, if so this is the wrong way to go about it.
  • Dr U Idh
    No mate - I'm merely trying to point out the absurdity of the positions being adopted. Don't assume that I'm "taking sides" as some of us would like to reach some sort of compromise.

Taking my argument a bit further, what if I turned up with some mates who also wanted to ride that route? At which point does it become an "event"? 50 of us? 100?

Btw - the same goes for all Sportives. As the roads aren't closed, there's nothing to stop anyone joining in. A "closed road" event would, in theory at least, circumvent this.
  • Dr U Idh wrote:
    Lazywheeler - you are rather missing the point. You're not bringing "extra" tourist money to the area if you're displacing other tourists at a busy time of year.

I would agree with you, if ALL the beds in the area were normally occupied at that time, BUT they're not. So it is extra tourist money.

In 2008, I spent the week prior to the Beag cycle touring around the west highlands and had absolutely no difficulty finding B & B accommodation each evening, no matter how late my arrival. And, on the night that I stayed in Sheildaig I booked my room for the Beag weekend.

Now, I might just be a lucky b*****d, and some might say I'm not even lucky, but my experience of quiet roads and mostly empty B & B's would suggest that it is a quiet time of year.

Just in case Tomcrom feels compelled to suggest October again, I will happily concede that October is even quieter than early May.
  • Those who've supported the Bealach events from the start will remember that the 1st ever challenge took place at the end of July but was subsequently moved to September to be outside of the tourist season. It's suffered from pretty lousy weather ever since so if TomCrom has more evidence than a box of old seaweed to demonstrate that the weather's better in October it's probably worth considering as it sounds like it would suit all parties.

I look forward to riding the events in both May and September. See as many of you as possible there.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Tomcrom
    wakemalcolm,

Check the weather records!.The first two Saturdays in October in recent years were excellent, not too hot nor too cold,dry, sunny, perfect cycling conditions and still plenty of daylight hours. The last Saturday in October last year had low level snow, this was the first in a good number of years. September has always been a lousy month,rainy, sleety and misty, the last three years have confirmed this. Go for the first two weeks in October
    if you want good conditions,quiet roads and plenty of accommodation
  • Dr U,
    Under current freedom to roam legislation it makes no difference if road is closed or not,anyone provided they are not using motorised transport,which a bicycle is not, could use even the closed section without any problem. If you had a hundred or a thousand riders, unless you have specifically organised it as an event, I doubt any action could be taken, why not try it.
  • Dr U Idh
    Tomcrom wrote:
    Dr U,
    Under current freedom to roam legislation it makes no difference if road is closed or not,anyone provided they are not using motorised transport,which a bicycle is not, could use even the closed section without any problem. If you had a hundred or a thousand riders, unless you have specifically organised it as an event, I doubt any action could be taken, why not try it.

Hmm - true. Ah well - there goes that idea :?
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    Tomcrom wrote:
    Dr U,

Well I can think of one possible problem.... if you "arrange" for a large number of fellow cyclists to all meet up and ride together, then someone has a serious accident then they might just claim you encouraged them to ride but failed to provide reasonable safety measures, and without insurance your snookered. It might even be a third party who get's hit by a cyclist, and when they ask "who's in charge of this" there is a chorus of " oh Dr U organised it". To get insurance the insurers would insist you get police approval etc then the local nimbies on some Community Council who like to feel important in their old age would come up with some pointless suggestions and get upset when you don't take them on board. Or maybe I'm just a pessimist
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I have cycled over the Bealach and the coastal road moany times now and for me the best weather has been late april/early may. While I like to participate in sportives all over the country I have not been too fussed in entering the aforementioned events.

The area is too nice to whizz round at sportive pace and should be enjoyed IMO at a more leisurely pace and having chat as you go. I have read all the posts so far and if anybody has misgivings about the handling/interference of these events I urge you to cycle round the course with a few friends at a date of your choice.

The area is pretty light on traffic anyway(as has been mentioned before) and the drivers on the bealach themselves usually urge on cyclists as there are plenty of passing places for them to halt and watch you go by or for you to let them pass.

Whatever you decide then when your there enjoy the ride as its my favourite route in the whole of the UK.
    Brian B.
  • Being a resident of Applecross I've found the streams re the Bealach and etape events fairly depressing.With exceptions like Merriman Dr U and a few others most of the comments just seem to be personal attacks on either the CC members and anyone who does not support the Bealach events.I know all the CC members,not one over 55,all self employed,and most with some connection to the tourist industry and none with strong views either for or against the events.
    The opinion of the residents has changed slowly from being generally supportive in the beginning to the majority turning againstthe events.One of the turning points was the ambulance 'incident'.Whatever anyone believes actually happened,the organisers tried to cast doubt on the veracity of the driver's report and then when that did not work to down play it. That did not go down well locally especially with some of the more elderly who had previously supported the events.
    Faced with calls from the community to try and sort something out the CC asked the organisers to increase safety measures on the coast, just increasing marshalls and signage but every suggestion was argued against. That was when the CC withdrew support and that was the only way to draw attention to the local disquiet.
    A couple of points re tourism. Applecross is full for approx eight months of the year and services struggle at times to cope with the influx of visitors.
    This £150 that is often mentioned- do the same cyclists when they go to TESCOs pat the checkout person on the head and tell them that they should be grateful they shop there, of course not!! It is a very condescending attitude to have and reminds me of attitudes of a past era re landlords/peasants.
    An unintended consequence of the events is the 'training' rides on the Bealach. Because of the popularity there is probably an annual increase of 3-4000 cyclists on the hill annually.-personally, no big deal but it is good for cyclists to be aware of this. It does change attitudes and sometimes not for the best.
    Finally I think the organisers need to look to themselves. E.g. this year HC put a restriction of 400 entrants,so far 455+ have entered.There seems to be no info about this on their own site which seems a little unusual esp as the entry fee is non refundable. Even allowing for no-shows......... Anyway I wish all cyclists who come to Apx either as sportif entrants or otherwise a pleasant experience. Remember its a privelege to live,work or cycle here. Hurling abuse at people you don't know just because they have a different opinion doesn't help anyone.
  • Niall93 wrote:
    Being a resident of Applecross I've found the streams re the Bealach and etape events fairly depressing.With exceptions like Merriman Dr U and a few others most of the comments just seem to be personal attacks on either the CC members and anyone who does not support the Bealach events.I know all the CC members,not one over 55,all self employed,and most with some connection to the tourist industry and none with strong views either for or against the events.
    The opinion of the residents has changed slowly from being generally supportive in the beginning to the majority turning againstthe events.One of the turning points was the ambulance 'incident'.Whatever anyone believes actually happened,the organisers tried to cast doubt on the veracity of the driver's report and then when that did not work to down play it. That did not go down well locally especially with some of the more elderly who had previously supported the events.
    Faced with calls from the community to try and sort something out the CC asked the organisers to increase safety measures on the coast, just increasing marshalls and signage but every suggestion was argued against. That was when the CC withdrew support and that was the only way to draw attention to the local disquiet.
    A couple of points re tourism. Applecross is full for approx eight months of the year and services struggle at times to cope with the influx of visitors.
    This £150 that is often mentioned- do the same cyclists when they go to TESCOs pat the checkout person on the head and tell them that they should be grateful they shop there, of course not!! It is a very condescending attitude to have and reminds me of attitudes of a past era re landlords/peasants.
    An unintended consequence of the events is the 'training' rides on the Bealach. Because of the popularity there is probably an annual increase of 3-4000 cyclists on the hill annually.-personally, no big deal but it is good for cyclists to be aware of this. It does change attitudes and sometimes not for the best.
    Finally I think the organisers need to look to themselves. E.g. this year HC put a restriction of 400 entrants,so far 455+ have entered.There seems to be no info about this on their own site which seems a little unusual esp as the entry fee is non refundable. Even allowing for no-shows......... Anyway I wish all cyclists who come to Apx either as sportif entrants or otherwise a pleasant experience. Remember its a privelege to live,work or cycle here. Hurling abuse at people you don't know just because they have a different opinion doesn't help anyone.

My experience has always been a pleasant one in Applecross. Happy childhood hoiidays and more memorable outdoor adventures later in life. I have cycled the Applecross peninsula many times. I cycled the last Bealach Beag in May and found the locals of Applecross and Shieldaig very welcoming.

It is only when I came across this and similar threads that it starts to become depressing. I have since been following these threads but also looking more closley at the minutes of last years Applecross Community Council minutes which are available for the general public to read just as this forum is. And I can only say I am disappointed by the content. I am sad to say that my impression is that each months meeting minutes appear have misinformed discussion about the pros and cons of these cycle races that only occur for one day twice a year. There seems to be a strong portrayal of "nimbyism" thinly disguised as concern for the safety of participants. This is reinforced by other trivial matters covered on the monthly agenda like the sheep pooh in front of the school gates that took about 3 or 4 months of discussion to get off the agenda despite no actual action being taken by anybody (how about a shovel?). I do concede that there has been some great things also to come from the community council like the community filling station and the advertisement and appointment(?) of the local GP - these are great achievements (they even make national news) that will be of great benefit to the local community but also, as it happens, motivated by a very inward looking council like with every thing else. I hope my comments are not taken personally I am just taking at face value the content that I have read that is made available online.

I would also like say that the organisers of the event have a lot to answer for. They could be a lot more communicative for a start and at least attempt to engage with the community council and live up to their agreements and promises (limited to 400 entries?).
  • Dr R Jones; "I would also like say that the organisers of the event have a lot to answer for. They could be a lot more communicative for a start and at least attempt to engage with the community council and live up to their agreements and promises (limited to 400 entries?)"

I couldn't agree more with this statement. They, the organisers?,would I feel be deemed to be responsible for the problems which have unfortunately arisen. Perhaps if they opened their eyes and ears to that which is going on around the area and less on pounds signs, they would realise that the solutions are fairly obvious.Both sides have met, the organisers have refused to meet the simple solutions agreed upon at those meetings. Now we find that as a result of the organisers arogance they have created more local animosity toward the events. The entry figure at this point in time is 461,entry details on https://www.sientries.co.uk/list.php?event_id=291 . So much for agreement with Highland Council,it is understandable why the locals are dissilusioned with organisation or lack of it. I wonder if yet again they will illegally close the north coast road to traffic as in past years.
  • Tomcrom wrote:
    Dr R Jones; "I would also like say that the organisers of the event have a lot to answer for. They could be a lot more communicative for a start and at least attempt to engage with the community council and live up to their agreements and promises (limited to 400 entries?)"

I couldn't agree more with this statement. They, the organisers?,would I feel be deemed to be responsible for the problems which have unfortunately arisen. Perhaps if they opened their eyes and ears to that which is going on around the area and less on pounds signs, they would realise that the solutions are fairly obvious.Both sides have met, the organisers have refused to meet the simple solutions agreed upon at those meetings. Now we find that as a result of the organisers arogance they have created more local animosity toward the events. The entry figure at this point in time is 461,entry details on https://www.sientries.co.uk/list.php?event_id=291 . So much for agreement with Highland Council,it is understandable why the locals are dissilusioned with organisation or lack of it. I wonder if yet again they will illegally close the north coast road to traffic as in past years.

Yes, I understand and agree with this point entirely, but there are always two sides to every story. I don't in anyway agree with the apparent attitude of the organisers, but it appears to me that they have become frustrated with the attitude of the community council and the CC are frustrated with the attitude of the organisers and so it becomes a vicious circle. I think really it is up to the organisers to make this right since they are the ones proposing and organising the event. But maybe the attitude and motivations of the CC do not help matters.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I have no axe to grind here at all, but I've always found that good communication usually solves most things. With regard to the cap of 400 on entries, I would put money on the organisers being able to sign up 500-550 entrants at least, and they would still have less than 400 participants on the day. There is always a considerable number of 'no shows' on the day.