What do Elite cyclists earn in England

Toonraid
Toonraid Posts: 126
edited December 2009 in Pro race
Just trying to get a picture of Professional cycling in England and wondered at what stage would a cyclist start earning money - I doubt Cat 1's would be on anything so let's move to Elite cyclists -
1 - what would be a starting salary for an Elite cyclist?
2 - How many teams are actually run professionally i.e. professional set-up and paid salaries?
3 - what are lower level teams like?

Would really appretiate any feedback.

Comments

• A friend of mine rode for a pro-continental team based in Britain last year. He recieved a bike, all the kit he could eat, race entries paid for, a helmet, a TT helmet and that was it. No money at all.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    disgruntledgoat

BARLOWORLD (GBR)?

They were the only "Britain-based" Pro Continental team last year. So which one of the riders is your friend?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Toonraid
    I doubt it was a pro-continental team as they are regulated by UCI with min payment terms (i think its around 25 000 euro).
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Toonraid wrote:
    I doubt it was a pro-continental team as they are regulated by UCI with min payment terms (i think its around 25 000 euro).

Yeh, and Barloworld was the only "British" Pro Conti team - and they are all full time.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • My mistake, they hold a bog standard Continental License.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Toonraid
    Surely teams such as Rapha Condor, Candi-TV-Marshalls Pasta & Team Halfords Bikehut are paying?
  • Toonraid wrote:
    Surely teams such as Rapha Condor, Candi-TV-Marshalls Pasta & Team Halfords Bikehut are paying?

They're paying their top guys yeah, not much but they are paying them. The cannon fodder who can be replaced with any number of willing 1st cats, they don't have a lot to bargain with.

@gietvangent
  • i have heard that russ downing was on 20grand a year basic riding for candi tv, wether that true or not i don't know, surely the top teams pay them some money? anyone have any clue as to what percentage the the field in a premier calendar race ride full time?
  • i have heard that russ downing was on 20grand a year basic riding for candi tv, wether that true or not i don't know, surely the top teams pay them some money? anyone have any clue as to what percentage the the field in a premier calendar race ride full time?

A very small amount I'd imagine. The lads I know racing prems (1st and Elites) pretty much get the stuff they need to race. Bike, kit, race entries, supplements etc, but they all work part time too, or are studying at Uni part time. Although it's not a bad living if all your outgoings (cycling) are covered by the team.

I think only the top lads draw a wage (The Downings, Newton etc) and I know BC offer a bit of money for the track stuff, hence the reason why some lads who should really have raced on the continent stayed over here.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Most Elites only get sponsorship to cover their costs but very few actually get paid, with the exception of prize money - certainly not enough to make a living. Even in the pro ranks , salaries vary considerably - some Spanish riders are reputed o get less than the minimum as the teams make all sorts of deductions for accommodation, travel and food.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    For most it'll just be expenses, kit, discounted/free bike and then race day support in terms of support car, radios etc.
  • theres a few of the younger candi riders live local to me and recieve a bike or 2 and kits plus get their expenses paid for but dont get a wage just competition earnings
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Going by the cars they drive, doesn't Kristian House drive an ancient Fiesta?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Refreshing amateurism
  • Toonraid
    acidstrato wrote:
    theres a few of the younger candi riders live local to me and recieve a bike or 2 and kits plus get their expenses paid for but dont get a wage just competition earnings

Are competition prizes anything worth mentioning?
  • there was a town crit in jersey last year that Graham Briggs won and i think he got £850 for that race, Malcom Elliott then won the road race the next day but not sure how much the prize fund was for that, but i imagine there is a fairly decent prize fund for all the Tour Series races
  • Toonraid
    I think the winner normally hands something to the rest of the team (for helping).
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I suppose it's living the dream. If you don't have family etc suppose it's feasible.
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    I suppose it's living the dream. If you don't have family etc suppose it's feasible.

My mate lives with his parents in the Season, they pay his petrol and all his incidental expenses. They were also rich enough to buy him a house out in Spain that he rents out as a cycling base for a bit of income.

Truth told though, given he went to university and got a good degree, his lifestly doesn't appeal to me at all. There's no glory in that and I'd much rather be doing what I'm doing and racing as a hobby.

@gietvangent
  • from memory, the following formula is sometimes use for prize money.

rider who wins gets 40%
    the remaing 60% is shared out.
    So if you have 5 riders, 1 mechanic, 1 masseur, 1 manager = 8
    then 60% / 8 = 7.5% each.
    so the rider who wins gets in total 47.5%

different approach for different teams and the above assume, that 4 of your riders finish or nearly finish the race or at least contribute.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I know an ex-Rapha rider (he was just one of domestques) and he worked his non-race days in a bike shop. Got some nice kit (which he sold off at the seasons end)
    M.Rushton
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    http://veloptimum.net/velonouvelles/9/A ... iner22.htm

This is how much the pros on the continent get. Interesting to read, but not much use regarding the wages of riders in the UK. Should imagine they get a lot seeing as they all have to move abroad to make a career out of cycling
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Shouldn't imagine they get a lot....
  • Gazzaputt wrote:

My mate lives with his parents in the Season, they pay his petrol and all his incidental expenses. They were also rich enough to buy him a house out in Spain that he rents out as a cycling base for a bit of income.

Truth told though, given he went to university and got a good degree, his lifestly doesn't appeal to me at all. There's no glory in that and I'd much rather be doing what I'm doing and racing as a hobby.

Really? I'm having trouble with that one at the moment. I was a decent Juve/Junior ('94 Juve Champ (Russ Downing 2nd), Junior GB squad) but quit to follow "education and a profession". Now, I'm ok for money but can't say I "enjoy" my profession and the last couple of years in particular l have been wondering "what if...".
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Really? I'm having trouble with that one at the moment. I was a decent Juve/Junior ('94 Juve Champ (Russ Downing 2nd), Junior GB squad) but quit to follow "education and a profession". Now, I'm ok for money but can't say I "enjoy" my profession and the last couple of years in particular l have been wondering "what if...".

The grass is always greener...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • If you take away his parents, that bloke is basically amking pocket money working ina bike shop and getting some freebies for flogging himself across the city centre crits and premier calender races... He would not, ithout external support, be able to make ends meet.

Unless I had the prospect, nay liklihood of moving up to the top level to earn a good living I wouldn't consider it past my early 20s and he'll be 27 next year. Each to their own and all that, but I grew up in a poor household and am extremely risk averse as a result.

@gietvangent
  • pontarlier_pete
    pontarlier_pete Posts: 195
    edited December 2009
    If you take away his parents, that bloke is basically amking pocket money working ina bike shop and getting some freebies for flogging himself across the city centre crits and premier calender races... He would not, without external support, be able to make ends meet. Each to their own and all that, but I grew up in a poor household and am extremely risk averse as a result.

It wouldn't have been possible for me anyway then. Me too. Guess I forget that side of things. At least I know I can pay the next gas bill these days.
    The grass is always greener...

True. I guess my regret stems more from being in a profession that didn't (until recently) allow enough time or leave me with enough energy to compete at a decent amateur level. I'll be trying to fix that in the next couple of years though :wink: . Still, can't say I'm not jealous at what the likes of Russ Downing and Jamie Burrow went on to achieve.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    It basically hasn't changed since the amateur days then. A clubmate of mine in the early 90's moved to VC St Raphael for pretty much the same kit and expenses deal. Lived at home, got paid dole and occassionally did a bit of fairly well paid labouring through his dad. The guys with wives and kids must be getting paid though or are holding down a regular job. For all the boom it actually sounds like less people are making a living out of cycling in the UK than there were 20 years ago when they had pro and amateur teams rather than the current elite status.
  • Pross wrote:
    It basically hasn't changed since the amateur days then. A clubmate of mine in the early 90's moved to VC St Raphael for pretty much the same kit and expenses deal. Lived at home, got paid dole and occassionally did a bit of fairly well paid labouring through his dad. The guys with wives and kids must be getting paid though or are holding down a regular job. For all the boom it actually sounds like less people are making a living out of cycling in the UK than there were 20 years ago when they had pro and amateur teams rather than the current elite status.

Funny. I'd agreed to join them the winter I quit.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    They were THE club at that time, sponsored by Waites Contracts and nowhere near our area. The bloke who joined was a GB junior international at the time and rode the Worlds. We lost a few riders at that time to clubs who could give them free kit, one went on to ride in a continental pro team and ended up riding the Giro.