Bikes on cars, cyclists in cars with bikes on car!

2»

Comments

• Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    supersonic wrote:
    Is that a Vulva T5 in the background?

Yep.

And a van.

And a Polo.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bonkers car. That and the Vauxhall Lotus Carlton!
  • Surf-Matt
    Lotus Carlton is infinity x bonkers compared to a T5!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Yep.

Could be an ordinary V70 - mine has roof rails and a boot spoiler but it ain't a T5...plus there looks to be an XC70 next to it.

Mind you that Samara's a corker! I used to know a bloke who had one, we used to go all over in it with our bikes. I'm fairly sure his had 24v electrics too...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Surf-Matt
    And now for the ultimate Lada...

Ladaniva.jpg

The near Volvo appears to have a wooden steering wheel - surely a T5 wouldn't have one of those?!

The silver one is an XC70 - I really like them.

Should have a V70 hire car next week - quite looking forward to a little blast around Ireland in it.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    The near Volvo appears to have a wooden steering wheel - surely a T5 wouldn't have one of those?!

Doesn't always follow, it depends what trim pack was specified.

The T5 is just the engine spec - i.e. it's a 2,4 (or 2,3 depending upon vintage) litre, turbocharged straight five making 240bhp or 260bhp depending on the state of tune. The trim level dictates what extras are included - if it's a T5 SE, then it's all leather with wood effect dash; if it's a T5 CD, then it would add wood effect inlay to the door trim and wood effect gear knob and steering wheel, plus electric everything and traction control.

Your rental will most likely be a phase 3 or late model phase 2 - in either case I wouldn't get too excited, they're just an over-built Ford Mondeo, and it shows. They aren't a patch on the genuine Volvo phase 1s.

Oh and I am a Volvo 70 pervert in case you hadn't guessed...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    supersonic wrote:

I've always thought they were a bit boxy......

:lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    And now for the ultimate Lada...

Ladaniva.jpg

I had a Cossack they were brilliant off road they could show a rusty rear bumper to a Land Rover. On road oh dear god it would have been quicker to get out and push I dont think I ever got mine over 60mph and it sounded like the engine was about to jump out of the bonnet.

Good heater though you could have boiled an egg on the dash.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Surf-Matt
    dave_hill wrote:
    Surf-Matt wrote:

Doesn't always follow, it depends what trim pack was specified.

The T5 is just the engine spec - i.e. it's a 2,4 (or 2,3 depending upon vintage) litre, turbocharged straight five making 240bhp or 260bhp depending on the state of tune. The trim level dictates what extras are included - if it's a T5 SE, then it's all leather with wood effect dash; if it's a T5 CD, then it would add wood effect inlay to the door trim and wood effect gear knob and steering wheel, plus electric everything and traction control.

Your rental will most likely be a phase 3 or late model phase 2 - in either case I wouldn't get too excited, they're just an over-built Ford Mondeo, and it shows. They aren't a patch on the genuine Volvo phase 1s.

Oh and I am a Volvo 70 pervert in case you hadn't guessed...

As I am to 3 series BMW Tourings... :wink:

Just assumed something "sporty" like an R or a T would have a proper steering wheel - not some awful wooden thing.

Like Alfa and Saab, Volvo have been blandified by a giant corporation - both of whom are near to going bust...
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    Works both ways. One of the closest encounters I ever had when cycling to work was with some idiot in a BMW driving way too fast, way too close. Thing was he had a bike rack (albeit empty) on his roof...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    He probably realised his bike had fallen off on the way home and was rushing back to find it!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bregante
    bregante Posts: 271
    supersonic wrote:
    Same here - if it is an Orange I'll try and rear end it.

If it's a Five, that would improve its looks :wink:
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    Bregante wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Same here - if it is an Orange I'll try and rear end it.

If it's a Five, that would improve its looks :wink:

it may make it ride better :wink:
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • dave_hill wrote:
    I don't think that it's anything to do with the bike. There's a large percentage of people who don't know how to drive, or who have forgotten how to drive, safely and considerately, whilst still making progress. But that's their problem, not yours. I have a constant argument with one of my work colleagues about this - she can't understand why it only takes me 20 minutes to get to a certain place driving at a steady 70mph when it takes her half an hour driving like a tw@t...

Huge percentage may I add. Have you found out why it takes her longer driving like a twat? :wink: