Bikes on cars, cyclists in cars with bikes on car!

thesim1990
thesim1990 Posts: 95
edited December 2009 in MTB general
Excuse the strange thread title but I don't know whether this has been raised before.
We all know drivers are absolute tossers to cyclists riding on the road, which is unfortunate, but has anyone experienced tossers while driving your bike to a trail?

Today I was heading up to Newcastleton (about 24 miles from me, Carlisle), and I lost count on how many drivers were inches away from my back end. Funnily enough that was when I had my bike strapped to the back of the car.

It seems that whenever these pricks see a bike on a car or someone riding a bike, they have to be wankers.

Feel free to share experiences. 8)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    We all know drivers are absolute tossers to cyclists riding on the road

A little presumptious methinks.
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    Maybe you were being a slow little sh*t sitting in the middle lane doing 55MPH - or maybe you weren't. I've never noticed that, mind you - the guy that we get a lift from puts our bikes on a Ford Focus RS.
  • supersonic wrote:
    We all know drivers are absolute tossers to cyclists riding on the road

A little presumptious methinks.

Meh...
  • missmarple wrote:
    Maybe you were being a slow little sh*t sitting in the middle lane doing 55MPH - or maybe you weren't. I've never noticed that, mind you - the guy that we get a lift from puts our bikes on a Ford Focus RS.

No middle lanes on my route. :wink:

All country roads with 60mph speed limit. That's right isn't? :wink:
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    Maybe the driver was a biker too, and was driving close cause he was checking out your bike.. ? :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    chick0 wrote:
    Maybe the driver was a biker too, and was driving close cause he was checking out your bike.. ? :)

thats what i do :lol:
  • supersonic
    Same here - if it is an Orange I'll try and rear end it.
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:

ditto, i hate orange bikes, (even if i do fancy an st4)
  • supersonic
    My 4 incher of choice (ooh er!) has to be the Mongoose Canaan, cracking value!
  • Anonymous
    i know but look at the state of it.
  • Anonymous
    im toying with either a golden willow or an st4 at the moment
  • supersonic
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1501&rs=gb

Looks fine to me! What a spec!

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/detail.asp/sku=FSMTB019

Gotta admit that is very expensive - as much as I like the Tora, on a 2k bike is a joke, especially not a moco one.
  • Anonymous
    the mongoose is very 'i-drivey' looking, not my cup of tea, although i quite like the look of the old idrive 5.

i would never buy an orange outright, im loking at a frame build up to possibly replace the stumpjumper which i am riding less at the moment.
  • supersonic
    Yeah, same company owns Mongoose and GT and the Freedrive system is a variation of the I drive. Both pedal nicely without much need for ProPedal stuff.
  • jools182
    jools182 Posts: 216
    depends on how you were driving I guess

if you were doing 40 in a 60 then it could have been me :wink:
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    thesim1990 wrote:
    We all know drivers are absolute tossers to cyclists riding on the road, which is unfortunate

That's a bit presumptuous, not to say a sweeping generalisation. I do my best to be aware of and courteous to cyclists when I'm driving, but there's an awful lot of cyclist who don't take their responsibilities as road users seriously, if they are aware of them at all.
    thesim1990 wrote:
    But has anyone experienced tossers while driving your bike to a trail?

Today I was heading up to Newcastleton (about 24 miles from me, Carlisle), and I lost count on how many drivers were inches away from my back end. Funnily enough that was when I had my bike strapped to the back of the car.

It seems that whenever these pricks see a bike on a car or someone riding a bike, they have to be wankers.

I don't think that it's anything to do with the bike. There's a large percentage of people who don't know how to drive, or who have forgotten how to drive, safely and considerately, whilst still making progress. But that's their problem, not yours. I have a constant argument with one of my work colleagues about this - she can't understand why it only takes me 20 minutes to get to a certain place driving at a steady 70mph when it takes her half an hour driving like a tw@t...

If they want to overtake you, let them. Just make sure that in doing so they don't put you in any danger. If necessary, pull off the road and let them past.

Having said all that, were you doing all the right things? Did you have a lighting bar on and/or make sure that all your lights were working/visible? I often find a dab of the brakes works wonders with tailgaters, but if your lights aren't properly visible then there isn't a lot of point (as well as making you illegal).

But then when you drive a dirty big Volvo estate people tend to think twice about running into you anyway.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    thesim1990 wrote:
    Excuse the strange thread title but I don't know whether this has been raised before.
    We all know drivers are absolute tossers to cyclists riding on the road, which is unfortunate, but has anyone experienced tossers while driving your bike to a trail?

Since I've been with my wife, who is an experienced driver, she has pointed this out me. Whenever we have my bike on the back, drivers behave like complete dicks - or more than usual.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    yesterday we were 4 up in a new mini with 4 bikes on the roof and all our kit and we were still being held up by people doing 70 on the motorway :roll:

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Porgy
    Hercule Q wrote:
    yesterday we were 4 up in a new mini with 4 bikes on the roof and all our kit and we were still being held up by people doing 70 on the motorway :roll:

and hogging the middle lane, i bet.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    supersonic wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    missmarple wrote:

Errrmm - does that make any difference? Apart from warning drivers the car might torque steer into a hedge at any moment?
  • Porgy
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    missmarple wrote:

Errrmm - does that make any difference? Apart from warning drivers the car might torque steer into a hedge at any moment?

so what do you drive then?

:wink:
  • Surf-Matt
    A Lada Samara.
  • Porgy
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    A Lada Samara.
    8) ace car
  • Surf-Matt
    edited November 2009
    Da da!

Cars of the Gods

Lada-Samara-2108-side.jpg
  • Porgy
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Da da!

Cars of the Gods

lada+samara

sort the damn picture out, man! :evil:
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    thesim1990 wrote:

There is a bloke that makes a habit of recording everything when he's out on his bike he's even appeared on STV news ...

His last video he preceeded to complain to a lady driver whilst at the traffic lights on a busy road in glasgow talk about the height of sheer stupidty ,

Magnatom his alias is on youtube
  • Porgy
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Da da!

Cars of the Gods

Lada-Samara-2108-side.jpg

8)

a particularly fine example. I envy you.
  • supersonic
    Is that a Vulva T5 in the background?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Hercule Q wrote:
    Damn those law abiders..... 8)
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Are those bullet holes?
    Turner 5Spot '11
    Spesh Rockhopper '08
    Cube Agree HPA '10