OT thread: totally cool people

2»

Comments

• attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    edited November 2009
    Lenny Henry?

What have you been smoking? He last said something funny in about 1986.

I'm quoting someone else here - can't remember who.
    "Imagine being married to Dawn French yet still being the unfunny one in the relationship!"

Eddy Merckx, he is cool
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Eric Cantona
    <a>road</a>
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Miguel Indurain
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Let's get it in perspective. Entertainers (pop stars, actors, comedians, sportspersons) get paid vast sums of money to do something they enjoy. REALLY cool people battle adversity, often without thanks, often against the odds.

Mother Theresa
    Ghandi
    Oskar Schindler
    Guy that stood in front of a tank - Tianamin Sq
    Aung San Suu Kyi
    Lech Walesa

That's just for starters.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Paul Weller
  • attica
    Chris Morris
    Charlie Brooker
    Ayrton Senna
    James Hunt
    and at the risk of bringing this thread even more on topic
    Fabian Cancellara and
    Jens Voigt
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Attica wrote:
    Charlie Brooker

+1

I'd like to add Will Self.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Disagree with the lot bar John Lennon.

Hmmm. I'm trying to work out in what possible parallel universe Lord Nelson could not be cool. British Isles would have been ruled by so France if it wasn't for him. Came from pretty humble background. Widely loved by his men. A number of victories of historic significance against superior odds, involving daring, brilliance and professionalism.

Oh yes and strolling round the deck of your flagship while closely engaged with the enemy wearing full dress uniform, big hat, one arm, one eye. Perhaps not entirely sensible (see musket bullet from French sniper) but actually pretty damn cool.
  • Elvis Costello
    Johnny Marr
    Michael Atherton
    Mike MaCarthy (Gaelic Football - Kerry)
    Ian Rankin

Thats enough
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Let's get it in perspective. Entertainers (pop stars, actors, comedians, sportspersons) get paid vast sums of money to do something they enjoy.

I think contributors to this thread are at cross purposes... Bryan Ferry is/was "cool" in one sense (totally so, you could argue....).
    REALLY cool people battle adversity, often without thanks, often against the odds.

...and that's another sense... I repeat my earlier assertion that Pete Goss qualifies, by virtue of his (entirely voluntary) rescue of Raphael Dinelli during the 1996 Vendee Globe.
    Sailing an Open-60 into hurricane-force winds for two days in the hope that you might be able to find a lone yacht in the Southern Ocean and then rescue someone from it before it sinks or he dies of hypothermia would probably be enough to qualify on it's own, but to do this successfully was an astonishing display of both seamanship and courage.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    jedster wrote:
    Disagree with the lot bar John Lennon.

Hmmm. I'm trying to work out in what possible parallel universe Lord Nelson could not be cool. British Isles would have been ruled by so France if it wasn't for him. Came from pretty humble background. Widely loved by his men. A number of victories of historic significance against superior odds, involving daring, brilliance and professionalism.

Oh yes and strolling round the deck of your flagship while closely engaged with the enemy wearing full dress uniform, big hat, one arm, one eye. Perhaps not entirely sensible (see musket bullet from French sniper) but actually pretty damn cool.

Don't think we would be ruled by France, no matter what happened at Trafalgar. However, the guy did allright.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    My mum.

Is not cool - She's hot.

I fancy your Mum.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    +1 for Big Mig and Ayrton Senna.

Also, Greg Dulli, Miles Davis, James Ellroy.

Don't personally think acts of heroism and selflessness are "cool" - they are much more important than that!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Cool rarely equals sensible an no two people agree what is or isn't cool - its all down to atitude - anyone who says 'My bath is your bath' ie Big Mig is definately cool
  • Jay dubbleU
    Greg T wrote:
    My mum.

Is not cool - She's hot.

I fancy your Mum.

Definately need a LiT's Mum fan club :wink:
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Cool rarely equals sensible an no two people agree what is or isn't cool - its all down to atitude - anyone who says 'My bath is your bath' ie Big Mig is definately cool

a lot of people seem to think it's about being a clothes horse or having no discernable facial expressions. :lol:
  • attica

already exists, it's here
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Jay dubbleU
    Attica wrote:

already exists, it's here

Now that is cool 8) 8) 8)
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Clive Owen
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.