Lingering Cough/Sore Throat

smithy1.0
smithy1.0 Posts: 439
Hey All,

Looking for some advice. I've got this strange cough/tight throat that is really starting to annoy me now. I seemed to develop it half way through this last race season in relation to a succession of poor performance and viral type illness. I've recovered from that ok, but there are still some days where i'll find that my throat feels tight and sore, and I can suddenly get bouts of coughing without having coughed for a day or more. Kind of a mucussy/sore cough. I particularly notice this after eating - it seems to create a buildup of mucus in my throat, causing coughing. On days where my throat feels rather tight/sore my performance is almost always crap on the bike - i.e hard to get HR up and just can't seem to get very out of breath even if I push hard. Body doesn't feel willing to do any hard efforts for example. I try to pay attention to good nutrition. Could I just be sufferring from overtraining? Fatigued? More training definately makes the issue worse so i've just done nothing for the past couple of days. My job is physical (Electrician) but I can't say that i'm lacking energy at work or doing normal tasks.

Made another appointment at the doc for Monday, but last time they could find nothing wrong, that's why i'm asking on here. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• Keep pressing at the doctors. It took 3 stupid useless doctors before one actually examined my mum's throat properly, sent her for tests and came back with throat cancer!!! Not that I want to alarm you with that but my point is to keep onto the doc. There is obviously a problem.
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • Thanks for the reply. I will see what the doc says monday. Just had my tea, and even after 2 days off the bike, I got the usual cough after eating. Still coughing it up now. Also noticed there has been a lot of blood in my *snot* when I blow my nose.... can't be a good thing?

Really want to get this sorted, I know once I do i'll be back to 100% which will hopefully allow me to win some races again. Hate being off the bike... :x
  • Could be any number of things - maybe pneumonia, astma, etc but likeliest is a stubborn sinus infection. they takes ages (a whole winter) to clear up and can cause coughs & bloody snot (the stuff in the sinuses runs down your throat at night for instance) and its production is also stimulated by the action of eating/chewing. Old wives cures like steam inhalation & stuff do help but dont burn yourself and DO persit with your doctor. Get well soon!
  • Went to the docs... not very helpful. Seems to think it is an allergy/reaction to something i'm coming into contact with or eating. Without hesitation he prescribed me a steroid nasal spray to try for 4 weeks, and to come back if the problem persists. I asked for an allergy test and he said it would be pointless because it won't pinpoint anything in particular. Needless to say, I certainly won't be snorting steroids up my nostrils. :roll:
  • The steroid spray will reduce inflammation in your nasal passages and sinuses - I would personally rethink yoour decision not to use it. Give it a try for 2 weeks and see if it helps. It may well give your sinuses a chance to drain, heal and mend with out recourse to very messy and painful sinus rinsing and is unlikely to cause any long term problems.
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Mr A has had the same problem since about June. He too thought it was a stubborn sinus infection. He'd wake up feeling he hadn't even had an hour's sleep. He's had the constant mucus, antibiotics, nasal sprays, etc. On the bike, he's felt like he can't go anwhere, like he'd bonked. Last week he had a blood test. Results today: glandular fever. It puts an end to the mystery altho with no real solution. Have you had a blood test?
  • Thanks again for the replies.

I might give the steroid spray a shot, I was just worried it was one of these things that "masks" the symptoms when you stop using it. I don't like to get dependant on anything like that. I had a blood test back in june when I was hit with that virus and when these problems started, all came back ok at the time. Perhaps I will ask for another?

It's the strangest thing, because for example, tonight, I went for a 6k run, and although it was cold, my breathing felt very "free" and not restricted. Still had a slight mucus cough though. Another day I just won't be able to get out of breath at all, even after a day or two away from any exercise.
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Mr A had symptons back in June and was told it was persistant sinus infection back then. He felt really lousy all through July/August, ,then started with night sweats, skin rash, nausea on top of the ENT problems in Sept. He's been up-down-up down - some days he's felt great, some days got nothing in his legs. Did the Marmotte against doc's orders (stubborn but on basis that if he was that bad he'd find a bar to watch the Tour in), really backed off in July, did more alpine stuff/ races in Aug - one col he just abandoned, next day sailed over. Never suspected he had GF and has just battled on thinking it was a viral infection. Quite surprised to get EBV diagnosis. Will never know if EBV would have shown on a blood test 5 months ago but something has been brewing so may be worth you having another test.