Winter slowdown

2»

Comments

• flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    Deffo the wind for me at the moment, been windy riding in London for the last two weeks I would say. That coupled with the occasional wet kills my times in the morning when it is light and obv the dark kills times anyway.
  • Just to upset you all, I got a new PB the other night. :D
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    The problem with a headwind on the way home is that, if you don't get much sleep, you might not have enough time to recover. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Just to upset you all, I got a new PB the other night. :D

Showoff :roll:

Congrats (stuck in my throat though) :wink:
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Dunno. I must have been close to a personal bes last night - the benefit of a stiff south-westerly pushing me most of the way....

Bob
  • plumpy wrote:
    I take the view that once I'm onto Winter Bike, 2kg heavier than Nice Bike and less aero with guards, etc, I can just forget about speed until April. I just give myself a big pat on the back for still being on a bike at all, TBH. Certainly have my pick of the bike racks at work!

Couldn't have been wetter last night if I'd swum home along the Leeds-Liverpool canal with the bike on my shoulder.

Spot on, used to have a coach who said a mile in the rain is worth two in good conditions, your competitors are less likely to be out in the crap weather.

Even with a bad week like this I will have done 100 commuting miles so a safe 2000 more to do before April, going to need them to as it is a decade since I was last tempted to race.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    navt wrote:
    On the contrary. I find I cycle faster in the cold. This is especially true in the mornings. Evenings I take it a little bit slower as it is dark.

Same. Still sweating like a ******* when i get into work in the mornings even though i'm wearing the same as i was in the summer.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    navt wrote:
    On the contrary. I find I cycle faster in the cold. This is especially true in the mornings. Evenings I take it a little bit slower as it is dark.

Same. Still sweating like a ******* when i get into work in the mornings even though i'm wearing the same as i was in the summer.

do you shave for summer?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Yup taking me a good 5 minutes extra over my 10 mile commute, tiredness,darkness and taking it steady all add up
    FCN 3/5/9
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I notice this too.

I actually think it is only an incidental effect of the cold.

Because of the weather, (it be wet where I live). And because of the dark, I am wearing waterproof with more reflectives than my high vis summer top.

This means that I am actually *hotter* at the end of my commute. This on its own slows me down.

Also , because of the boil in a bag effect, I have the (large) side vents open, which doesn't really do anything for my aerodynamics.
  • For me its around the +5 mark as that's when I start to wear a headband or cap under my helmet. At zero I put my kayak cap on and I put a balaclava at -5 under the cap. The cap is polyeurathane with a fleece liner. I have used that combo successfully at -20 (not accounding for the wind chill).
    Cervelo Soloist
    Cervelo P2 (Carbon)
    Trek 4500
    some sort of cx bike

It's not that cold out, it's just a bit windy.

http://www.ridecalgary.blogspot.com

www.bikecalgary.org
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Clever Pun wrote:
    do you shave for summer?

You talking face? or more?
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I asked the same question last year and received pretty much the same answer, so I chose to knuckle down and put in the winter miles which I beleive is why I held the stats leader board all year, well atleast until it was no longer important :)

from tomorrow my winter plan starts, should be an interesting 2010.

Might also add that as much as I love this country the continued pants seasons has worn me down, i'm a sun worshiper at heart, a big change might be on the cards.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    itboffin wrote:
    I asked the same question last year and received pretty much the same answer, so I chose to knuckle down and put in the winter miles which I beleive is why I held the stats leader board all year, well atleast until it was no longer important :)

from tomorrow my winter plan starts, should be an interesting 2010.

Might also add that as much as I love this country the continued pants seasons has worn me down, i'm a sun worshiper at heart, a big change might be on the cards.

Pretty much the plan is to keep riding through winter, and be massively quick next summer :)
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    one positive is that i think im getting a lot fitter

im still putting in the same miles but spending longer on bike and also having to work harder aswell due to stupid wind

im my best weight for god knows how long and feel trim

happy days