Winter slowdown

Aidy
Aidy Posts: 2,015
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
Anyone else experiencing this?

Wind aside, I reckon I'm a good couple of minutes slower each way than I was over summer.

I haven't decided if I'm naturally adjusting for grip/visibility/other or if I'm just being lame.

Comments

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Same here, I'm starting to destroy my yearly average. Either that or breaking a spoke on my HED deep section front wheel and having to use an ordinary one is killing my speed.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I noticed this in previous winters.

I think it is a natural effect of poorer weather, poorer road conditions and poorer visibility
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yep. Always happens to me once it gets darker and wetter.

Air is a bit denser too (apparently), which makes things harder.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Can't trust the roads (in the dark) so hold off from hammering given the plethora of pot holes, cracks and general mess of the london streets. Being wet etc never helps speed either, though last couple weeks its been generally craper than usual most days.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    yep same here, feel disapointed with myself for my times, bring on the summer for better times

plus side this time last year i wasnt cycling due to illness so anything is a bonus
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Dark - more cautious, generally more nutters on the road
    Wet - more cautious, clothes weighed down with water
    Colder - heavier and more clothes
    Wind - into a headwind this morning, so more cautious, nearly blown off
    Generally just gloomy and deperssing, that slows you down too.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • pllb
    pllb Posts: 158

Wallace are you affected by SAD? You sound really down there. Chin up fella! :D
  • pllb wrote:

The poor chap lives in Glasgow... all year round SAD 8)
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Aidy wrote:
    ... I reckon I'm a good couple of minutes slower each way than I was over summer....I haven't decided if I'm naturally adjusting for grip/visibility/other or if I'm just being lame.

Cold muscles don't work as well as warm ones. Even once they've warmed up your body will still need to devote energy to keeping warm (as well as fighting off any viruses etc that are flying around, other people's illnesses always make me feel run down).

Plus what others have posted about dark, damp slippy road conditions.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    So glad it's not just me. Thought I was going backwards in the speed stakes and as for SAD, don't get me started. Cycling definitely helps. It's getting out of bed that's the problem as I'd be quite happy to stay there til end March.
  • Wallace1492
    pllb wrote:

Yes, I do get affected by it!! I was in London for the day yesterday, and it was the first time in nearly a month that I have seen blue sky, and the sun shining!! Was lovely to see, even if it was London, but it all dissapeared on the flight back...... resigned back to more weeks of darkness, rain, wind and never seeing the blue sky.... feel like I live someplace that says good bye to the sun in October, and does not see it till March..... :oops:
  • pllb
    pllb wrote:

Yes, I do get affected by it!! I was in London for the day yesterday, and it was the first time in nearly a month that I have seen blue sky, and the sun shining!! Was lovely to see, even if it was London, but it all dissapeared on the flight back...... resigned back to more weeks of darkness, rain, wind and never seeing the blue sky.... feel like I live someplace that says good bye to the sun in October, and does not see it till March..... :oops:

Thats no fun eh. Are you a proponent of adopting "Single/Double Summer Time" then? "RoSPA supports the adoption of Single/Double Summer Time because it would result in fewer people being killed and injured in road accidents. It would also bring significant health, environmental and economic benefits." http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advice/general/summertime_policy.htm
  • Wallace1492
    pllb wrote:
    pllb wrote:

Thats no fun eh. Are you a proponent of adopting "Single/Double Summer Time" then? "RoSPA supports the adoption of Single/Double Summer Time because it would result in fewer people being killed and injured in road accidents. It would also bring significant health, environmental and economic benefits." http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advice/general/summertime_policy.htm

Not really. As it states, you get no more hours of daylight, so no help to me. Just can't wait till spring comes along....
  • pllb
    pllb wrote:
    pllb wrote:

Not really. As it states, you get no more hours of daylight, so no help to me. Just can't wait till spring comes along....

Ok, maybe you should just head south for the winter :wink:
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    I take the view that once I'm onto Winter Bike, 2kg heavier than Nice Bike and less aero with guards, etc, I can just forget about speed until April. I just give myself a big pat on the back for still being on a bike at all, TBH. Certainly have my pick of the bike racks at work!

Couldn't have been wetter last night if I'd swum home along the Leeds-Liverpool canal with the bike on my shoulder.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    pllb wrote:
    .... feel like I live someplace that says good bye to the sun in October, and does not see it till March..... :oops:

Or East: Average December sunshine hours in Glasgow - 0.8, Edinburgh is 1.4... neither's impressive but that's almost twice as much!! :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Slow down? I've come a complete halt. A month this coming Monday I've been off the bike.

Training commences again next week. :(
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I was thinking about this the other day

if it's raining do you get wetter if you travel faster? let me explain a little before I get called a numpty as you travel faster along the horizontal you hit more of the vertical lines that you would have otherwise missed, but you're out there for less time so hit less of the verticals that would have plonked on your head anyway.

does that make sense?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:

if it's raining do you get wetter if you travel faster? let me explain a little before I get called a numpty as you travel faster along the horizontal you hit more of the vertical lines that you would have otherwise missed, but you're out there for less time so hit less of the verticals that would have plonked on your head anyway.

does that make sense?

I think its a combination of old wives tale and bad science. It depends on the wind direction but going with absolute vertical rain - the less time you spend in it, regardless of speed taken the drier you will be. Throw angled rain into the equation and it changes obv.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173

the less time you spend in it, regardless of speed taken the drier you will be.

that's not strictly true, I mean if you spend 1hour or 1 hour 2 minutes in pouring rain, you're pretty much just as soaked.
  • will3 wrote:

the less time you spend in it, regardless of speed taken the drier you will be.

that's not strictly true, I mean if you spend 1hour or 1 hour 2 minutes in pouring rain, you're pretty much just as soaked.

:lol: you will be a few drops drier - but where... well that's for you to find out
  • Clever Pun wrote:

does that make sense?

If very fast you'll feel colder, in terms of being wetter I dough it, mostly it's time both length and luck of the draw, ie being in the open exposed section when it really came down.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Cheers all, it's good to know I'm not alone :)

I've ridden previous winters (it's rare that I'm off the bike for too long), but this is really the first time I've had a regular, measurable distance where I've noticed the effect.

Bring on summer!
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Clever Pun wrote:

does that make sense?

I think its a combination of old wives tale and bad science. It depends on the wind direction but going with absolute vertical rain - the less time you spend in it, regardless of speed taken the drier you will be. Throw angled rain into the equation and it changes obv.

I seem to recall a study showed that you do indeed get wetter if you run rather than walk in the rain, for the reason Clever Pun mentioned- so for cycling presumably it'd be even worse. But weather it's better to run/walk depends in the end on how far you are from shelter.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Clever Pun wrote:

does that make sense?

If very fast you'll feel colder, in terms of being wetter I dough it, mostly it's time both length and luck of the draw, ie being in the open exposed section when it really came down.

They did this on an episode of Mythbusters, I missed the end though so can't help :oops: still if you watch the discovery channel from now until the end of time you probably see it again. And the chicken cannon is always worth anther watch :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    I'm defo slower, particularly yesterday - head/cross winds for 20 miles on the way in, but only about 10 going home :?

However, I am on the bike so who cares
  • Wallace1492
    prawny wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

does that make sense?

They did this on an episode of Mythbusters, I missed the end though so can't help :oops: still if you watch the discovery channel from now until the end of time you probably see it again. And the chicken cannon is always worth anther watch :D

I saw this, conclusion is that you get wetter if you walk. Longer time in rain = wetter.
  • Wallace1492
    pllb wrote:
    .... feel like I live someplace that says good bye to the sun in October, and does not see it till March..... :oops:

Or East: Average December sunshine hours in Glasgow - 0.8, Edinburgh is 1.4... neither's impressive but that's almost twice as much!! :-)

Cheers,
    W.

Gawd, that looks like Glasgow gets MINUS 0.8 hrs sunshine.....

I's like that poor wee duck in Tom and Jerry, wish I could fly south, but I can't.....
    Still, just booked up skiing for January, that makes me happier, Kitzbheul here I come.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    On the contrary. I find I cycle faster in the cold. This is especially true in the mornings. Evenings I take it a little bit slower as it is dark.
  • dresbo
    dresbo Posts: 129
    prawny wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

does that make sense?

I saw this, conclusion is that you get wetter if you walk. Longer time in rain = wetter.

I've considered this, and in my 'considered' opinion, you definitely get wetter the slower you go. Take it to the extreme. shuffle 5 metres at snails pace in the pouring rain. You'll be soaked. Run across it and you'll be much drier. At some point it doesn't matter because you're as wet as you're going to get, but I'm sure the principle is valid.